• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

KGX to Hull via Thorne and Goole

Status
Not open for further replies.

When I was a youth, it was the highlight of my day to see an InterCity 125 screaming it's way past the end of my street on its way from KGX to Hull.

The line it was using at this point is the Doncaster to Hull line at Thorne. I see now that the Hull services now go via Selby and not the more "crow flies" route via Thorne North and Goole.

When was this change made... and why? Possibly because of weight restrictions being introduced on the Ouse railway bridge at Goole?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
This crops up occasionally..
Yes I believe Selby has a considerable market, and Howden apparently serves a number of villages around it (it gets more passengers that you'd imagine!)...
... the Hull Excecutive used to go via Goole although it didn't call there. It was diverted to call at Selby soon after Hull Trains started.
...I have a copy of the 1998 timetable here, and Selby is not listed as a calling point from the Hull Executive. The service did go via Goole (without stopping) as it is a shorter route. I have a timetable from 2001, after the introduction of Hull Trains services, Selby is a calling point and has been ever since....
Certainly Selby has a bigger market potential than Goole. In fact, the Hull Executive used to go through Goole non-stop (as it was not worth calling there!) until Hull Trains grew/proved the market at Selby (around 2000/2001).

Line speeds are higher via Selby so there's not much increase in journey times.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I seem to recall that back in 2008-2009, there were a couple of Hull Trains per day on a Saturday that ran via Goole in lieu of Selby, but they stopped after little more than 6 months. I seem to recall it don't think it was because of diversions though, so I don't honestly know why :s I'll check through some old timetable reviews later.

brompton rail

I believe that Goole station platforms was the issue that resulted in HSTs ceasing to stop. I recall something about the whole length of one (or both) and that the cost of resurfacing etc them was unwarranted, and InterCity wouldn't pay.

Hull Trains were, I think, the first to use Selby (& indeed Howden - platforms too short for HSTs and no 'grandfather rights'), since the East Coast main line was diverted and Challoners Whin to Selby closed. Can remember DMUs between Doncaster and York going that way, as well as Jimmy Saville filming a BR advert as we called at Selby ('Age of the Train')

Feel free to correct me if my recollection is wrong!!

Last edited:

tbtc

Veteran Member
I believe that Goole station platforms was the issue that resulted in HSTs ceasing to stop. I recall something about the whole length of one (or both) and that the cost of resurfacing etc them was unwarranted, and InterCity wouldn't pay

IIRC the East Coast service was only diverted away from Goole (via Selby) under GNER, after Hull Trains started running that way too.

Established Member
I wonder if it also had something to do with the legacy of the Selby bypass opening - quite a few services on the ECML used to serve Selby, but with the new line opening most would have gone direct from York to Doncaster, and therefore missing out what is quite a large market.

Status
Not open for further replies.