• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Kidwelly Flats Halt

Status
Not open for further replies.

euryalus

I have been looking up some details about Kidwelly Flats Halt which, according to M.E.Quick, was opened on 6 August 1941 to serve a "military depot". Would it not have been more accurate to have said that the halt served nearby Pembrey aerodrome - or was there more than one wartime installation in the immediate vicinity of the halt?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

krus_aragon

Established Member
Combining information gleamed from a 1950s air ministry OS map of South Wales and a route map in the South Wales volume of the Regional History of the Railways of Britain, Lando Platform appears to be more or less adjacent to Pembrey aerodrome. Sadly neither map shows the location of Kidwelly Flats.

The RHRB shows only Lando, and the OS shows no stations on the mainline between Kidwelly and Pembrey & Burry Port. I note that both are also missing form the New Adlestrop Railway Atlas online. (The first that I've noticed to be such.)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Addendum: this post on an aviation forum suggests that Kidwelly Flats was indeed next to the Aerodrome:

LXXIV said:
... arrived at Kidwelly Flats Halt, only yards from the guardroom and walked straight on to working parade. What an introduction to the real RAF!

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
My father in law worked at the Royal Ordnance Factory in Pembrey for a while. I believe it was near the end of WW2 and afterwards. he's told me about getting a train to the station at Pembrey on the Gwendraeth Valley Line, where there were buses waiting to take everyone to the factory itself. This seems to further corroborate that Kidwelly Flats was nearer to the airfield.

I'll ask him what he can remember about Kidwelly Flats when I see him later today.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
My father in law remembers Kidwelly Flats, and says it was just west of the road overbridge that leads tot he entrance of the country park today. I'm not sure how far exactly his definition of just west would be, but he maintains it was between the RAF airfield and the Royal Ordnance Factory, and not really adjacent to either.

He recalls that he himself used to get a bus from Llanelli to the ROF, but that those form the west used a train to reach Kidwelly Flats, where they got on to a bus to be taken into the factory complex.

I don't doubt that the halt was created during wartime in order to provide better access to both RAF Pembrey and the weapons factory nearby.

Status
Not open for further replies.