• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Kings Cross ‘uncrossed’ Layout/Remodelling - Information and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

hwl

Established Member
Thusfar the preferred option is to divert to KX. Drayton Park isn’t an option as the reversing berth there is 6 cars only. Not sure if a 700 is currently permitted to reverse at Canonbury but that’s certainly a viable option - albeit only one reversing berth.

The problem is that there could potentially be 4tph of 12-car trains approaching, and that requires some serious space, especially with the current Finsbury Park crew reliefs meaning there’s the likelihood of some of these having no relief.
But the open access operators would presumably end up in P9/10 unlike today so less of an issue than it might appear?
As I mentioned in the future there will be much greater ability to stack trains on the approaches.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
The current layout allows some wonderful flexibility by making use of the crossovers at Belle Isle and/or Holloway, and it’s possible to pull off some very skilful parallel moves if the signaller is on the money. Time will tell if the new layout will work as well, being cynical one can’t help but think that a major motivator is saving costs by rationalising the number of points, and particular some of the more complex ones in the immediate throat.

Lots of people said exactly that about Euston when it was remodelled 20 years ago. The number of points was halved, speeds were raised, and reliabiliity improved significantly (delays at Euston reduced by 90% IIRC). Yes it is less flexible in the immediate station area, but then the old layout was designed for a completely different level and type of service. Same at KX.

thealm

Looking at Real Time Trains for when London Kings Cross is closed on the weekend of 20th and 21st June 2020 it look like trains will run:

Great Northern

Thameslink

LNER

Hull Trains

NO SERVICES
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/se...0/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=HT

Grand Central

• Sunderland to York (6 trains per day Sat/Sun)- Saturday evening one to and from Doncaster

Last edited:

Class 170101

Established Member
Looking at Real Time Trains for when London Kings Cross is closed on the weekend of 20th and 21st it look like trains will run:

LNER

I think your last link might actually want to be replaced with this link (see below) as the other link seems to show a lot of data of which your link before only shows LNER arrivals I assume you only want departures

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Might have been useful to include “June” in the above details, (although it’s discoverable if you click on the links)...

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Hull Trains

Timetable not Published. I will update once it has been finalised, likely to be going to London St. Pancras International

More likely not to be running - while they went to St Pancras on the weekend of 25/26 January, the second full weekend closure saw them only run to Doncaster - and of course if travel is still restricted, they won't have restored their service in any case.

thealm

I think your last link might actually want to be replaced with this link (see below) as the other link seems to show a lot of data of which your link before only shows LNER arrivals I assume you only want departures
Might have been useful to include “June” in the above details, (although it’s discoverable if you click on the links)...
Minor pedantry: they’ll be running empty from platform 2 to platform 3.
Made all the changes
Thanks for the feedback

Roast Veg

Established Member
Glad to see that access to platform 9 and 3/4 will improve after the remodelling, though the service provision might be a little sparse without any track.

CW2

Established Member
Glad to see that access to platform 9 and 3/4 will improve after the remodelling.....
I know you meant platforms 3, 4, and 9, but my mind went straight to Harry Potter and platform 9 3/4.

InOban

Established Member
fortunately Newcastle are at Sheffield that weekend, even if spectators were allowed!

GB

Established Member
With work nearing complete This weekend does anyone know what was done at Kings Cross?

It was sewer/drainage work this weekend.

On another note, I heard rumors yesterday that the remodeling has been postponed untill next year.

59CosG95

Established Member
It was sewer/drainage work this weekend.
Principal Contractor Morgan Sindall also installed a 6-track portal boom to the north of Gas Works Tunnels, which will (like most of the other new steelwork) replace the legacy Mk3a OLE. A number of other new structures are up; between Gas Works/Copenhagen Tunnels, and within the throat of King's X itself.
However, due to the constrained nature of the worksite, expect any new structures to be delivered very slowly...

Mcq

A big thank you to those who have contributed in the last few days.
Given the enormity of the project, there has been amazingly scant info here to be seen.
I know that Covid and the difficulty of getting a view of the site are restrictions, but at last some info - thank you to the contributors.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
The remodelling has been postponed from Easter next year (not to next year!), to Easter 2022 earliest - commisioning window pending.
Is it a 3 month block?

It was a three month partial closure from Christmas 2020 to Easter 2021.

No decisions have been taken, yet, on when the work will be done, nor the form of the closure.

petersi

It was a three month partial closure from Christmas 2020 to Easter 2021.

No decisions have been taken, yet, on when the work will be done, nor the form of the closure.
If they still need a Christmas blockade are we talking about several years

Status
Not open for further replies.