• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Kings Cross ‘uncrossed’ Layout/Remodelling - Information and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Planner

Veteran Member
It was a three month partial closure from Christmas 2020 to Easter 2021.

No decisions have been taken, yet, on when the work will be done, nor the form of the closure.
Moved back a year and split into 3 phases last I heard.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
How will this partial blockade work?
Normally by closing only a fraction of the platforms in turn while they work on them. It was never likely to be a full closure over such a long period. Stuff gets misreported or exaggerated...

hwl

Established Member
Normally by closing only a fraction of the platforms in turn while they work on them. It was never likely to be a full closure over such a long period. Stuff gets misreported or exaggerated...
@thealm
I'd expect something like this:
Stage A - Closing P0/1 and P2 to allow the platform ends to be straightened and the new throat point work that aligns with the eastern tunnel to be made operational
Stage B - Closing P3, 4/5 & 6 to allow the platform ends to be straightened / lengthened and the new throat point work that aligns with the middle tunnel to be made operational
Stage C - Closing P7, 8, 9-11 to allow the platform ends to be widened / lengthened and the new throat point work that aligns with the western tunnel to be made operational

There are other sensible options for splitting those phases so an extra platform is available at any point in time but that leaves 6 stages

Last edited:

edwin_m

Veteran Member
@thealm
I'd expect something like this:
Stage A - Closing P0/1 and P2 to allow the platform ends to be straightened and the new throat point work that aligns with the eastern tunnel to be made operational
Stage B - Closing P3, 4/5 & 6 to allow the platform ends to be straightened / lengthened and the new throat point work that aligns with the middle tunnel to be made operational
Stage C - Closing P7, 8, 9-11 to allow the platform ends to be widened / lengthened and the new throat point work that aligns with the middle tunnel to be made operational

There are other sensible options for splitting those phases so an extra platform is available at any point in time but that leaves 6 stages
I think you mean the western tunnel in stage C, but I agree something like that is the most likely. Modern station layouts are often designed so that sections can be taken out of use for maintenance with a reduced (Sunday etc) service using the rest of the station.,

malc-c

Mods: Please feel free to move this post to any previous thread discussing the remodelling of Kings cross if deemed incorrectly placed.

Whilst I was visiting my mother-in-law she gave me a large card envelope which amongst other things contained an A3 publication called "Livewire" which was used to keep customers informed of electrification work and other projects pre internet age. This issue in early 1977 covered the modernisation plans for Kings Cross.

Sadly I don't have an A3 scanner to include the complete article, but though I would post the excellent diagram showing the pre and post 1977 layouts, the latter now currently undergoing remodelling gain :)

Kings X pre 1977.png

details.png

Last edited:

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Looking at that map- when was Platform 11 restored into use? And I don't think I was aware of platforms 12, 13 & 15- I knew about there being a platform at about 14 (for trains from Moorgate)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I like this a lot. It might inspire me to add 1977 before and after layouts to my document.
I was amazed to find I‘d posted those sketches before - but way back in 2011! :D I thought for a moment it was only a couple of years ago, just goes to show how time flies...

MarkyT

Established Member
Looking at that map- when was Platform 11 restored into use? And I don't think I was aware of platforms 12, 13 & 15- I knew about there being a platform at about 14 (for trains from Moorgate)
The site of #12/13 was a loco servicing facility including a turntable suitable for smaller locos as seen on this 1913 OS:
This was replaced by the well known 'Kings Cross Loco' facility near the tunnel portals in the 1920s, built on the site of the old gas works canal basin and including a 70' table suitable for the new pacifics, seen here in the 1950s:
I believe #11 went back in during the 1980s. Operators no doubt quickly regretted removing it in the 77 remodel.

malc-c

I like this a lot. It might inspire me to add 1977 before and after layouts to my document.

By all means. I was also given loads of maps of North london (possibly the same ones you mention) as my late father-in-law originated from Walthamstow. If I can locate them, and if they have any track layouts applicable to this thread I'll scan them in. Maybe there's a book in the offing here Mark, "The changing face of Kings Cross" :)

malc-c

OK, so after a bit of searching I found a map based on the 1871-93 "yard to the mile" OS map. This also had a smaller scale update for 1894-96 which shows considerable expansion, but not the platform layout pre 1977

KX1.jpg

KX2 copy.jpg

nlogax

Established Member
Whilst I was visiting my mother-in-law she gave me a large card envelope which amongst other things contained an A3 publication called "Livewire" which was used to keep customers informed of electrification work and other projects pre internet age. This issue in early 1977 covered the modernisation plans for Kings Cross.

Nice find! Great detail there about the old sidings and the curve connections to the Widened lines. Am sure I've seen this before it but it's great to be reminded.

YorksLad12

Established Member
Now... I knew about the connections to what are now Thameslink (you can see the York Road tunnel portal still on approach to that side of the station), now replaced by the Canal Tunnels further north. But I never knew that the platforms in the main shed were numbered the other way around! Guessing that the former suburban platforms are now under what seems to be a car park under perpetual construction (whenever I arrive) or yet more offices?

59CosG95

Established Member
Now... I knew about the connections to what are now Thameslink (you can see the York Road tunnel portal still on approach to that side of the station), now replaced by the Canal Tunnels further north. But I never knew that the platforms in the main shed were numbered the other way around! Guessing that the former suburban platforms are now under what seems to be a car park under perpetual construction (whenever I arrive) or yet more offices?
I believe the new 'car park under perpetual construction' is Google's new London HQ. https://www.kingscross.co.uk/google

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I believe the new 'car park under perpetual construction' is Google's new London HQ. https://www.kingscross.co.uk/google
I suspect what might have led to the “car park” stuff is that it was decided to have the service yard for the Kings Cross station complex put underground to allow the air rights to be used. The sloping approach road from York Rd level is hidden within the building alongside the station throat.

MarkyT

Established Member
OK, so after a bit of searching I and it would give them time to bu a map based on the 1871-93 "yard to the mile" OS map. This also had a smaller scale update for 1894-96 which shows considerable expansion, but not the platform layout pre 1977
These are fascinating. I can lose hours looking at old maps! Note the early layouts at KX and St. P both have very few platform faces under the trainsheds, but plenty of storage roads. I'm sure this was a clever ploy so they could exploit the covered space for secure rolling stock stabling while being able to add more passenger platforms later when services built up and additional carriage storage and servicing facilities became available elsewhere. Note also that originally the Hotel curve had no Kings Cross main station platform at all though it had been added in the 1890s map (there were of course platforms at the met station, which latterly inner suburban Moorgate trains stopped at as well). I think the 1950s NLS map I linked to above is broadly in agreement with the pre-1977 layout diagram. Clearly there are some changes, notably the loco servicing facility, which had been modified for diesels by then, with the turntable removed. THis is the map I am referring to:

YorksLad12

Established Member
Offices. Google's London HQ to be precise!
Thanks both. I did see Google's name bandied around at some point, but they have offices in Pancras Square already. I must have been confused. So much for Google Maps ;)

malc-c

Thanks for the link Adam, I just spent almost a good hour comparing the two :)

Mcq

Alan thank you for this is excellent presentation.
For interest at TQ 30305 83961 - give or take a yard or too, is where Kings Cross Cemetery Station stood.
A service was held in the church and then the coffin and attendees could go by private train to New Southgate Brunswick Road Cemetery Chapel which had a siding off the ECML for the purpose.
Most people are aware of the Necropolis station to Brookwood service - but not this one.
Kings-Cross-mortuary-station-1954 - Randells Road.jpgPoint where line branched off EMCL to Brunswick Cemetery Chapel.jpg
Further info at:

Last edited:

Phillipimo

Mcq

Many thanks @Phillipimo
It would be really helpful if you could copy Twitter stuff to this forum for those of us that don't use that facility.

BrianW

Established Member
Guess the designers didn't like the look of the tunnel invert.
Thank you for these pics- good to see progress being made at this time.
On behalf of 'amateurs' like myself I guess you are referring to the fact that the rails are to be laid direct onto this bed of concrete rather than on sleepers. Is that not happening in other places? I can't imagine it is being done in the way it is unless that makes good sense.

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
Thank you for these pics- good to see progress being made at this time.
On behalf of 'amateurs' like myself I guess you are referring to the fact that the rails are to be laid direct onto this bed of concrete rather than on sleepers. Is that not happening in other places? I can't imagine it is being done in the way it is unless that makes good sense.

Slab track is really rather awesome - saves loads of maintenance, doesn't have the ballast based geometry issues conventional track has, and means you get really nice alignment between track and OLE. It's also nicer to deal with from a drainage standpoint. It buys you a fair number of mm for the OLE too, if tunnel diameter is tight.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Slab track is really rather awesome - saves loads of maintenance, doesn't have the ballast based geometry issues conventional track has, and means you get really nice alignment between track and OLE. It's also nicer to deal with from a drainage standpoint. It buys you a fair number of mm for the OLE too, if tunnel diameter is tight.

AIUI the main down side of slab is needing complete replacement after X decades?

Status
Not open for further replies.