King's Cross Disruption 15 Feb

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by Norther Monkey, 15 Feb 2020.

1. Norther Monkey

Norther Monkey Member

Ongoing problems at King's Cross today - it seems to be taking a huge amount of time to clear a 'broken down train'. Purely out of curiosity could anyone offer any further explanation?

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Edders23

Edders23 Member

Trains between Peterborough and Stamford are getting delayed due to a broken down freight train but not sure if that is on the ECMl or just in the Peterborough area

4. Southern Dvr

Southern Dvr Member

2 broken trains at The Cross this morning with only 2 platforms available to LNER, that meant there was no room at the inn until they fixed them!

5. The North Briton

The North Briton Member

Unable to release the parking brake on the DVT of the first departure 0701 to Leeds. Short of leaving the DVT on the stops (which was under consideration at one point), not a lot you can do. Finally moved off after 1130, after multiple Up services were turned around short of London or recessed in loops.

6. jon0844

jon0844 Veteran Member

I believe at least one train started from Stevenage to Edinburgh? Went out from platform 1 which must have looked odd.

7. Norther Monkey

Norther Monkey Member

Could this set have run in passenger service without the DVT?
    If so, if another DVT wasn't immediately available could a Class 91 or other loco have replaced the DVT to allow running in both directions?
    I'm not suggesting any of this was practical today, just curious about what's possible.

8. GregA

GregA Member

I understand they can run without the DVT without a problem as long as the 91 is running "sharp end" first (as they normally do). When the train reaches its destination the 91 has to run round the carriages and then take the train back, running "blunt end" first; when running like this the train is limited to 110mph.

9. rick pike

rick pike Member

I thought that a passenger train must have at least one vehicle with a parking brake in the consist. So Im surprised that they considered leaving it behind. Also the couplings are not the standard buckeye within a set of mk4s. Think it's called a tightlock.

10. Marton

Marton Member

Can this not also be managed in Newcastle by using the HLB?

11. The North Briton

The North Briton Member

I should be clearer: the set was only going to go to Bounds Green, with or without the DVT. Leaving it behind would have freed up the platform for a 5 car unit, but obviously then left the problem of recovering it.

12. Ianno87

Ianno87 Established Member

Then the whole set ends up the wrong way round back in London, which is a nightmare if the set needs to Bounds Green that night (i.e. doesn't line up with equipment in the depot, etc). And the wrong way around compared to all available replacement DVTs.

13. Norther Monkey

Norther Monkey Member

I understood all that, but it was a horrible afternoon therefore perfect for asking 'what if' questions. Thanks to those who responded.

14. Snow1964

Snow1964 Member

My daughter was on the 07:01 from Kings Cross, going to Sheffield via Doncaster (as MML shut)
    She said the announcement was a problem with the air (she might have missed bit of announcement)
    Everyone had to change to 07:24 (platform 7) which then left late as 07:01 was then cancelled

Coming back she was routed via Retford, but her Hull trains connection was cancelled (I think it was skipping stations, so had to get later connection). Strangely Hull Trains website reasoning was to avoid overcrowding (presumably they didn't want the 2 reserved seats being used, which defies logic)