• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Kings Cross - Newcastle - Edinburgh: Any tips on ticket options?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Hi,

I have a couple of events I'm attending in February.

Travelling from Kings Cross on Friday 23rd I would like to get to Newcastle after leaving just after really lunch, say 1pm.

On the Saturday (24th) morning say 10:30am I would like to travel to Edinburgh (haymarket eventually).

I then have to return to KX on the Sunday, fairly flex, not too early or late.

My preference is First Class, any tips?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SaveECRewards

What you could do is price up the following:
1st Advance from KGX-NCL on the Friday
Advance from NCL-EDB (judge whether first class is worth it by the price difference. As it's a fairly short journey and it's a weekend with limited catering) - you can also consider CrossCountry if it's cheaper (and TPE if it goes up there, I can never remember)

For the return leg look at getting a super off peak single from the VTEC website and then paying the £25 weekend upgrade fee on-board. Make sure the super off-peak single is showing as discounted £68.50. This allows you to take any train on the Sunday.

I don't normally recommend booking direct through the VTEC website as the experience is awful, but in your case this is the best option as you can take advantage of the online only super-off peak pricing.

There's no point reserving on the super off-peak leg (although if you're pretty sure you know the train you're getting you could reserve just in case - this doesn't commit you to that train when on a flexible ticket).

For the advance tickets out the outward leg you'll be (most likely) able to use the seat selector to choose your seat. My advice for first class is to avoid coach M as this gets served last. If you want a quiet coach that get served first, otherwise coach L is your best bet.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Thanks very much.

I was under the impression fares are now released 6 months in advance but I'm having no joy

Status
Not open for further replies.