• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Kings Cross-Newcastle Split ticketing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sonic2009

Established Member
How many adults travelling?

Eligible for any railcards?

Is it just a one way journey? Day Return? or a Overnight Return (i.e go saturday come back the following week).

What time would you like to travel?

Any idea of a date, as advance tickets will be available.

34D

Established Member
What would be the best combinations of 'legs' for this journey
It will be a Saturday

We can't guarantee to find _the_ best (as only a very powerful computer could undertake all the iterations) however we can offer good tips.

If this is a day return, then splitting at Peterborough and York (and buying a GDR day return between peterborough and york) is one option. Buying FCC only London to peterborough may save too.

In addition to sonic's questions, can you advise which rail/tube station is closest to your home, and also whether you hold a season ticket/travelcard at all.

silverfoxcc

Sorry,

3 travelling 2 Adults + 1 Senior Railcard,

Will park at Hillingdon and Oyster to KX

Same day return
Need to arr by 13.00 depart after 18.30

Diesel will cost about 110.00 so if the adult ticket (full price) can be done for less than 40.00 /its a goer

Its the overall cost rather than the time taken that is the main consideration
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Date will be 18 Aug

rail-britain

Established Member
I usually take a Leeds to Doncaster
East Coast to York
Cross Country onwards (to Glasgow Central)
Try Doncaster, York, then Doncaster and York, and compare
FTPE may also be cheaper between York and Newcastle, but will stop at every tree en-route

calc7

Established Member
I wouldn't bother splitting into Off-Peak (Day) Returns - there's some extremely good value Advance tickets if you book now.

Since there's 3 travelling, book through this link on the East Coast website to get tickets for £23.50pp each way (total cost £141)

I can't really think of a cheaper way than this as it's pretty much the only way to get 1/3 off for the two without a railcard.

flymo

Established Member
Date will be 18 Aug

Juts a note regarding Advances and perhaps certain other tickets. If this is in relation to Newcastle vs Spurs for that date, bear in mind that the provisional fixture dates and kick off times given out this week may change subject to TV deals, local Police and goodness knows what else. The game may be on at 3pm Saturday, but of course may change between now and then. Certainly not very often there are 10 games on at 3pm on a Saturday any more.

If nothing to do with the football then disregard the above...:)

Chapeltom

Established Member
Yes Sky can mess up the fixtures and that's what I feared when the fixtures were released. I was going to buy advance train tickets to Crystal Palace v Sheffield Wednesday but the difference between the advances compared to the walk on fares was negligible, I'd get into London an hour earlier and could leave an hour later, not worth it, especially considering it'll be a high demand fixture for tickets in the away end after the last encounter between the two sides.

flymo

Established Member
Just as an addendum to my previous post,

Premier League Website said:
All fixtures are subject to change. It is envisaged that the first batch of broadcast selections for the 2012/13 season will be completed by 13th July 2012 and will affect fixtures played between Saturday 18th August and Friday 30th November 2012.

The above is taken from the Premier League Website.

Again, if the OP query is nothing to do with the match that day then please disregard.:D

Established Member
If you didn't mind a longer journey, you could always go via Grand Central to Sunderland and get a Northern or Tyne and Wear Metro from there.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
What would be the best combinations of 'legs' for this journey
It will be a Saturday
How do you define "best"?

Is there a reason why you need a combination?

Have you tried the MSE Tickety Split site or the Trainscanbecheaper.info site?

If you can do some research and have some questions I would be happy to help at that point.

But we can't guarantee to find the best (which is too subjective) or cheapest combination of fares for any journey. I am very reluctant to attempt it because I do not want to provide inaccurate information, and it's best that anyone wanting advice gives it a go first and then asks if anyone can improve on it, rather than asks others to do all the work (which may not meet your requirements anyway).

AndyHudds

Yes Sky can mess up the fixtures and that's what I feared when the fixtures were released. I was going to buy advance train tickets to Crystal Palace v Sheffield Wednesday but the difference between the advances compared to the walk on fares was negligible, I'd get into London an hour earlier and could leave an hour later, not worth it, especially considering it'll be a high demand fixture for tickets in the away end after the last encounter between the two sides.

I've been stung a few times by this,well by one change to Sky and a couple of postponements. Its the only way to travel fairly cheaply though as I take in a lot of away games. Got get myself some for our first game at Cardiff on the opening day.

Clip

Established Member
Juts a note regarding Advances and perhaps certain other tickets. If this is in relation to Newcastle vs Spurs for that date, bear in mind that the provisional fixture dates and kick off times given out this week may change subject to TV deals, local Police and goodness knows what else. The game may be on at 3pm Saturday, but of course may change between now and then. Certainly not very often there are 10 games on at 3pm on a Saturday any more.

If nothing to do with the football then disregard the above...:)

This is where having a Priv is a godsend. Got done over once or twice a few year back for the football being changed so never again!

KentonCanary

As far as I am aware we are currently in the 3 week window where the Sky, ESPN, and the local Police select the games that are to be televised, or moved for other reasons. This process is due to finish on Thursday 5th July 2012 with the confirmed fixtures, up until the end of November, released shortly after.

So I would wait until then before booking.

silverfoxcc

Thanks for all the input, Yes it is for the football!!

One problem, is on my laptop, the forum seems to be 'stuck' aout two days behind!!!

So have reverted to Mainframe!! to add this.
Thanks for all the info
Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.