• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Kings Cross-St Pancras to Paddington main concourse

Status
Not open for further replies.

38Cto15E

Any board members familiar with the above journey, due to age I have to keep walking to a minimum and I believe the Circle Line no longer goes in a Circle.
Due I need to change at Baker Street or Edgware Road? TIA

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianno87

Veteran Member
The Circle line will take you to Paddington (Bishop's Road) station, which is probably a 5 minute walk from the Paddington concourse at a reasonable pace).

To shorten the walk, you change across the platform at Edgware Road to carry on around the Circle Line. Although exiting Paddington from that platform involves 3 sets of steps (Up, Down, along and back Up again)

Chris Butler

Do you really need to go to the main concourse? Least walking is via the Hammersmith & City which gives direct, overbridge, access to the 'British Rail' platforms without going to the main concourse. H&C trains are direct from Kings X ... no need to change. There is also a coffee shop between the H&C gate-line and the access to the 'British Rail' platforms if you have a wait.

The access to the concourse isn't bad either. Steps or escalator.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Do you really need to go to the main concourse? Least walking is via the Hammersmith & City which gives direct, overbridge, access to the 'British Rail' platforms without going to the main concourse. H&C trains are direct from Kings X ... no need to change. There is also a coffee shop between the H&C gate-line and the access to the 'British Rail' platforms if you have a wait.

The access to the concourse isn't bad either. Steps or escalator.

Yes - if you want to avoid walking, and have a standard class ticket on GWR, the overbridge steps are much closer to standard class on GWR trains!

MotCO

Established Member
Another option is bus 205, which runs from Bow to Paddington via Kings Cross. However, London Bus Routes says that "Owing to gas works on Eastbourne Terrace and road works on Cleveland Terrace, temporarily revised at Paddington to finish journeys in Craven Road and start from Spring Street." http://www.londonbusroutes.net/routes.htm#M200

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Since the Circle was "uncircled" is it not the case that all Westbound Circle Line trains from Kings Cross St Pancras will run to Hammersmith, and thus serve the H&C platforms in the main shed at Paddington? Thought all services that use the Circle/Wimbleware platforms would only start from Edgware Road?

cactustwirly

Established Member
Take the first train, if it's a Metropolitan line train and there's a long wait for the next Hammersmith train, then change for the Bakerloo at Baker Street

edwin_m

Veteran Member
There's also Victoria to Oxford Circus then Bakerloo, but if you follow the official route to the Victoria from St Pancras the walk is probably longer than from the H&C to the concourse at Paddington.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
It’s a shorter distance from the H&C platforms to the main shed platforms at Paddington than it is from the main shed platforms to the ‘Circle’ platforms at Kings Cross.

Even from the H&C platforms to Paddington concourse is only about a 300 metres walk. (A 10 car GWR train is almost that long!)

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I've done this many times before - it depends where exactly you are trying to go? If you're boarding a GWR or TfL service from the station you can take a Hammersmith & City or Circle line train which will arrive at the far end of the station. There's a lift up towards the Underground concourse and then a 5 minute walk over the bridge to the far end of the platforms. Depending on whether you want to wait until the service you want is boarded. If you just want the concourse, there's a lift at the end of the overbridge which takes you to the middle of P1 and then onto the concourse. Or there's a ramp down towards P8/P9 and the concourse.

Otherwise arriving via the Bakerloo or District/Circle still requires steps and escalators.

Cletus

Established Member
Each time I used Paddington inbetween lockdowns there as a one-way system in effect and the barriers on the overbridge were set to exit only. So getting the lowest numbered platforms involved walking to the main course to access those platforms.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Each time I used Paddington inbetween lockdowns there as a one-way system in effect and the barriers on the overbridge were set to exit only.

I asked nicely and got let through. Making them "one way" (out) makes little sense when there are only trains boarding, and it bypasses the need to go through the throng on the concourse.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Yeah there's a whole perception that the Circle/H&C platforms out by the canal entrance are really remote, , when (as others say) if you're travelling standard class on GWR it's probably a shorter walk. The Circle & District line station is across Praed Street from Paddington station, and there's the hotel between the street and (really deep) concourse.

The Bakerloo platforms, meanwhile, are roughly under the ramp between Praed Street and the concourse.

So I'd echo what others say- unless you absolutely need to use the concourse facilities, just do the simple bit of taking a Hammersmith-bound train at Kings Cross and alighting at Paddington.

38Cto15E

Thank you all for your assistance with my query, I am travelling First class to Penzance so presumably it is a 2x5 car 800 and I am better in the front portion, although I need to check my reservation on that one.
The main reason I put concourse in the header is because I will be going to Sainsbury's or M&s to stock up with supplies for the 5 hour journey.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
There's another benefit to using the H&C ( Bishop's Road ) route since you need to keep walking to a minimum; those platforms have lifts, so you can avoid the steps at least for the Underground part of the change.

38Cto15E

Cheers for that Peter.
I have checked my reservations, coach K, it is a 9 car on the 1204 from Paddington and 5 car plus 5 on the return.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
As others have said you want a Hammersmith train from Kings Cross St Pancras to Paddington (either H&C or Circle Line). This will take you to the Underground platforms by the canal at Paddington.

To minimise walking you need to be a little savvy when entering the Underground at Kings Cross St Pancras. When you exit Kings Cross and go through the exit doors into Kings Cross Square turn immediate right under the canopy at the front of the station and descend the steps (or use the adjacent lift) to the Underground. At the bottom turn left which will be signed towards the Metropolitan/Circle/H&C Lines. After a short distance there is a gate line on your left signed towards the Northern/Piccadilly/Victoria Lines, go through the barriers here and turn immediate right which is then signposted to the Metropolotan/Circle/H&C Lines.

This will take you to the rear of the platform for the Circle/H&C. Join at the rear of the train (ideally 2nd from the back) as this is the optimum position for the exit at Paddington.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Thank you all for your assistance with my query, I am travelling First class to Penzance so presumably it is a 2x5 car 800 and I am better in the front portion, although I need to check my reservation on that one.
The main reason I put concourse in the header is because I will be going to Sainsbury's or M&s to stock up with supplies for the 5 hour journey.

Coach K would be towards the front yes, so it's a bit tricky. If you want to go to M&S or Sainsburys, you'd have to walk all the way down to the concourse from H&C lines then back on tyourself to board the train. If it is particularly difficult you can of course book mobility assistance.

There is a lift from the Bakerloo line exit up towards the Lawn which would take you right next to M&S.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Sainsbury’s Local at Sheldon Square is closer to the H&C platforms at Paddington than the Sainsbury’s Local on the main concourse.

Come out of the H&C barriers, go up to the canal via the steps next to Costa Coffee, turn left and walk along the canal, under the road bridge and you’ll see Sheldon Square on the left.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Sainsbury’s Local at Sheldon Square is closer to the H&C platforms at Paddington than the Sainsbury’s Local on the main concourse.

Come out of the H&C barriers, go up to the canal via the steps next to Costa Coffee, turn left and walk along the canal, under the road bridge and you’ll see Sheldon Square on the left.

Quite a few steps that way.

As an alternative, there is an M&S simply food, and a ‘Little Waitrose’ on the concourse at Kings Cross, if that is more convenient.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Good point about using M&S or Waitrose as Kings Cross.

philthetube

Established Member
If you are feeling it by the time you reach the concourse you could then ask for assistance, and have a ride on one of their trolleys.

miami

Established Member
An Eastbound/Clockwise circle from Kings Cross via Tower Hill and Victoria would (eventually) take you to Paddington circle on the side which doesn't require the steps over the C+D line there.

Would take about 45 minutes, rather than 12 going West to the H&C platforms.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
An Eastbound/Clockwise circle from Kings Cross via Tower Hill and Victoria would (eventually) take you to Paddington circle on the side which doesn't require the steps over the C+D line there.

Would take about 45 minutes, rather than 12 going West to the H&C platforms.

Probably slightly quicker to do anti-clockwise to Edgware Road, cross-platform to carry on anti-clockwise to Gloucester Road, then cross platform to come back Clockwise.

ag51ruk

Possibly not the shortest for walking at the Kings Cross end, but for no steps you can also do southbound Victoria line to Green Park, cross platform to northbound Victoria line back to Oxford Circus, then cross platform to northbound Bakerloo line to Paddington - exit via escalator and the walkway to the District line exit, then escalator/lift to main concourse

38Cto15E

Thanks for all of your replies, I think you have covered everything, well almost, I could get a cab :) Seriously I might have a steady walk from St Pancras EMR to the Hammersmith and City (back but one coach), try not to get in everyones way and make my way to the concourse. I am in Coach K on the 1204 which I understand is a 9 car, so no long walk until Penzance.:)
I don't have a walking stick or frame or anything, I am just a lot less mobile than when I used to run up and down them steps at New Street when bashing in the early 80's.

rebmcr

Established Member
you can also do southbound Victoria line to Green Park, cross platform to northbound Victoria line back to Oxford Circus
Edit: I misread this as Victoria-Jubilee.

Not correct — at Green Park the cross-platform opportunities are Victoria Northbound/Southbound, or Jubilee Northbound/Southbound. To change between those lines there involves short steps, a short corridor, and an escalator. Anything involving the Piccadilly is even worse, and best avoided even by the fit and mobile.

Last edited:

ag51ruk

Not correct — at Green Park the cross-platform opportunities are Victoria Northbound/Southbound, or Jubilee Northbound/Southbound. To change between those lines there involves short steps, a short corridor, and an escalator. Anything involving the Piccadilly is even worse, and best avoided even by the fit and mobile.
Which is what I said - southbound Victoria line to northbound Victoria line. This then avoids steps at Oxford Circus for the transfer to the northbound Bakerloo

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The best way step free would be to use the H&C - lifts at Kings Cross St Pancras and at Paddington (H&C)

Status
Not open for further replies.