• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Kings Cross station pub

Status
Not open for further replies.

03_179

Established Member
In 1989 we used go in the pub on platform 8 ... what was the name of it ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

03_179

Established Member
Nope .. the FS was on Cali road and had strippers ... ermm ... so I hear

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Is this the place that used to have a "grab whatever you want and pay at the till" food service?

Gingham's ( there was one at Paddington as well ) in that incarnation, but I can't remember if the name changed after they axed that food service.

03_179

Established Member
Nope. This was a proper pub with wood panels.

Was behind where the Ticket office is now.

Royston Vasey

Established Member
Is this the place that used to have a "grab whatever you want and pay at the till" food service?

Gingham's ( there was one at Paddington as well ) in that incarnation, but I can't remember if the name changed after they axed that food service.
Gingham's was much closer to the concourse, Duke Of York was further up P8, if it was already called that by this time

03_179

Established Member
The girlfriend and I used to go in there upto about 1991. By then we had our house.

It was grim back then too

Clarence Yard

Established Member
It had several names from it's 1980's incarnation - Coopers, York Tavern and then Duke of York are the ones I remember. I think it only closed when the station was rebuilt 10 or so years ago.

It wasn't a great pub, iirc.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
The pub in St Pancras (roughly where Betjeman's is now) was far worse than the Duke of York. It was called Midland something

WesternLancer

Established Member
The pub in St Pancras (roughly where Betjeman's is now) was far worse than the Duke of York. It was called Midland something
Wasn't the St Pancras one called The Shires? (where Betjeman's now is roughly)

They were all Travellers Fare originally (well not originally but you know what I mean - did the pre grouping companies operate any station pubs or just hotels?) - I'm sure it was on here a while ago a thread of a TF poster advertising that they did real ale - from the 70s I think - some sort of joint CAMRA promotion

Found it - actually here:

page 2 of the scanned leaflet showing all the TF pubs and what real ales they served - where the KX one is called Europa Lounge by the looks of it at that time (if that is the same location)

WesternLancer

Established Member
More here too - with some overlap (and contrasting opinions to those above ref The Shires!)

Status
Not open for further replies.