• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Kings Cross to Beckton (Gallons Reach)

Status
Not open for further replies.

johntea

Established Member
I'm looking to travel from Kings Cross to Beckton, specifically the Gallons Reach shopping park

Google suggests all manner of routes, Underground, DLR, buses

What is the most efficient (and ideally cheapest!) route there and back? Presumably using my contactless card will be the cheapest option

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I'm looking to travel from Kings Cross to Beckton, specifically the Gallons Reach shopping park

What is the most efficient (and ideally cheapest!) route there and back? Presumably using my contactless card will be the cheapest option
Prior to the closure of the Northern Line through Bank station later this month, the most efficient journey would be to take the Northern Line to Bank, then the Docklands Light Railway to Gallions Reach Station. A change at Westferry is needed as Beckton DLR services run to Tower Gateway.

After that, probably Hammersmith & City Line to West Ham, changing there for the Jubilee Line to Canning Town and Docklands Light Railway from there.

There is only one fare - £3.40 peak, £2.80 off-peak single.

One realistic way of making it cheaper it time is not of the essence is to walk a mile from Kings Cross to Caledonian Road & Barnsbury then take the Overground to Stratford, Jubilee Line to Canning Town and DLR to Gallions Reach. £1.80 peak and £1.60 off-peak if the pink reader is touched at Stratford.

Last edited:

rebmcr

Established Member
I used to work in the Euston area, live in Canning Town, and shop in Gallion's Reach, this is definitely the route that minimises both waiting and travelling time:

Victoria to Green Park, Jubilee to Canning Town, DLR to Gallion's Reach and then the first bus that arrives (101/262/366).

On the way back you have to be careful which bus to get — north- and south-bound services mix in the same turning loop, and their stops are on the same side of the road.

If you skip the bus and just walk between the DLR and the shopping area, it's best to go through to Beckton station, as it's roughly the same walking distance but Armada Way/Royal Docks Road are quite unpleasant for pedestrians.

johntea

Established Member
Thanks for the pointers, travelling tomorrow so I think the Bank line is still a potential option, will see what the weather is like in terms of walking options!

Taunton

Established Member
Gallions Reach DLR station is unfortunately not near Gallions Reach shopping centre. From the station walk eastwards back under the DLR viaduct to the first bus stop, there are several routes there to the centre, going right round the DLR depot and the gasworks. You can't walk up the main motorway-like Royal Docks Road as it has no pavement, and actually a legal prohibition of pedestrians

Royal Docks Rd - Google Maps

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Maybe we have a different definition of “not near” but Google Maps shows it only 1.2km away, with a relatively easy 15 Min walk along Atlantis Avenue and Armada Way which has footpaths throughout. Depending where the OP is going there is a footpath behind the Gymnasium or you can cross the overflow car park.

jumble

If you like a bit of a walk take the Met or Circle to either Tower Hill or Aldgate and walk to Tower Gateway
(Both are out of station interchanges)

johntea

Established Member
I took the @rebmcr route in the end, although I got well and truly lost walking from Beckton to the shopping park as I think Google got ever so slightly confused! (I did end up in some sort of retail park with the biggest Home Bargains I’ve seen in my life, I thought that was a Northern thing!)

But after giving up on that idea I just jumped on the bus, picked up my (rather heavy) item and back on the bus well within the hour limit for the single bus fare :)

My favourite announcement ever has to be ‘The next stop is Cyprus’…if only eh!

Status
Not open for further replies.