• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

kings Cross to Paddington

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron1

Hi,
Sorry for what may seem a silly unnecessary post.

A week on Saturday I am travelling a route to Maidenhead which requires us to alight at Kings Cross, get tube from there to Paddington (Hammersmith and City Line) before getting train from Paddington to Maidenhead.

I have used the tube before but not often and never been from Kings Cross to Paddington on it, from our train arriving into Kings Cross and leaving Paddington is 42 mins, would that be enough time? I know there is a fair bit of walking to do but we are both fit and can both walk quickly.

I like to think provided everything is well signposted at both stations which I'm assuming would be, 42 mins should be sufficient time?

If I miss that train I could get the next one half an hour later but I would rather not do that!

Any advice much appreciated!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Yes more than enough time. Also you're on the right side of the station after leaving the tube at Paddington to get to Maidenhead, as those trains will normally depart from P12 or P14. I'd say assuming you are relatively mobile, it should take you a maximum of 25-30 minutes.

If I miss that train I could get the next one half an hour later but I would rather not do that!

Is your train a Reading or Didcot Parkway service?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Hi,
Sorry for what may seem a silly unnecessary post.

A week on Saturday I am travelling a route to Maidenhead which requires us to alight at Kings Cross, get tube from there to Paddington (Hammersmith and City Line) before getting train from Paddington to Maidenhead.

I have used the tube before but not often and never been from Kings Cross to Paddington on it, from our train arriving into Kings Cross and leaving Paddington is 42 mins, would that be enough time? I know there is a fair bit of walking to do but we are both fit and can both walk quickly.

I like to think provided everything is well signposted at both stations which I'm assuming would be, 42 mins should be sufficient time?

Any advice much appreciated!
The minimum connection time between the two is actually 45 minutes - 15 minutes at either end and a nominal 15 minutes for the Tube (this is between 7am and 7pm, outside these hours the allowance is increased to account for lower service frequencies).

So if you do miss your train at Paddington and have an Advance ticket, you won't be entitled to travel on the next train or to claim Delay Repay, in the way you would be if you'd allowed 45 minutes.

That said, it should be more than possible to make the connection in either 42 or 45 minutes. The route is well sign posted at both stations and there should be a Hammersmith & City or Circle line train every 5 minutes, taking 10 minutes.

If for whatever reason there's disruption, alternative routes include taking the Metropolitan Line to Baker Street and changing there for the Bakerloo Line, or you can take the Victoria Line to Oxford Circus and the Bakerloo Line from there.

There is also the 205 bus which runs direct every 5-10 minutes and is scheduled to take 21 mins. Probably more of a contingency option TBH.

FenMan

Established Member
When arriving at King's Cross ... Walk down the platform and straight out of the station then head slightly to the right to the Tube entrance in front of you 50 yards away. Go down the stairs and head straight on through the underpass - the gates for the H&C/Circle Lines are on the left.

My record for arriving at King's Cross and then departing from Paddington is 27 minutes, so 42 minutes ought to be ample if there's no disruption.

Status
Not open for further replies.