• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

King's Cross to Victoria Line - any way to avoid the long walk ?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claire73

Hi there.

Last time I tried to go from Kings Cross to the Victoria Line I remember it being a very long walk.

Is there a quicker way to get to the Victoria Line at all and if so where is the best place to start at King's Cross ?

Many thanks

Claire

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transmanche

Established Member
Walk out of the front of the station onto the square, then enter the Underground by the furthest entrance on the right-hand side. This will take you to the tube ticket hall, which has the shortest route down to the Victoria, Piccadilly and Northern lines.

The entrance you're heading for is the one next to the Underground sign in the image below.

be441db4-983e-4ce9-a3b1-b778041332ce.jpg

Image of King's Cross Square, showing the location of the tube entrance.

Claire73

Walk out of the front of the station onto the square, then enter the Underground by the furthest entrance on the right-hand side. This will take you to the tube ticket hall, which has the shortest route down to the Victoria, Piccadilly and Northern lines.

The entrance you're heading for is the one next to the Underground sign in the image below.

be441db4-983e-4ce9-a3b1-b778041332ce.jpg

Image of King's Cross Square, showing the location of the tube entrance.
Thank you very much for the information. I previously entered by the nearest entrance on the right hand side after walking out of the station (behind the trees in the picture you provided). I look forward to a shorter walk this time ! Many thanks again

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Thank you very much for the information. I previously entered by the nearest entrance on the right hand side after walking out of the station (behind the trees in the picture you provided). I look forward to a shorter walk this time ! Many thanks again
This entrance is fine, and is actually a shorter walk and more convenient than the one mentioned by the poster above, so I still use these stairs. However you need to remember to turn left at the bottom of stairs and not right as stated by the signs.

For what it’s worth, at busy times, station staff may introduce a one way system whereby the gateline at the Tube ticket hall (this is where the directions above take you to) are set to ‘exit’ so you cannot go this way then.

Claire73

This entrance is fine, and is actually a shorter walk and more convenient than the one mentioned by the poster above, so I still use these stairs. However you need to remember to turn left at the bottom of stairs and not right as stated by the signs.

For what it’s worth, at busy times, station staff may introduce a one way system whereby the gateline at the Tube ticket hall (this is where the directions above take you to) are set to ‘exit’ so you cannot go this way then.
So if I turn left at the bottom of the stairs instead of right (as I did in the past) this will be a much quicker route to Victoria Line than they way I used to go AND also quicker than the previous reply I received?

transmanche

Established Member
So if I turn left at the bottom of the stairs instead of right (as I did in the past) this will be a much quicker route to Victoria Line than they way I used to go AND also quicker than the previous reply I received?
It'll save you a few seconds over the way I described above, but not much.

(I suggested that route as it was easier to describe and once you enter the station, you just follow the signs. The route Mojo suggests is fine so long as you remember not to follow the signs!)

Personally, I use the route I described in my first reply as I find it less busy - but it's really down to individual preference.

Claire73

It'll save you a few seconds over the way I described above, but not much.

(I suggested that route as it was easier to describe and once you enter the station, you just follow the signs. The route Mojo suggests is fine so long as you remember not to follow the signs!)

Personally, I use the route I described in my first reply as I find it less busy - but it's really down to individual preference.

If I follow your way will it be quicker than turning right at the bottom of the stairs?

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If I follow your way will it be quicker than turning right at the bottom of the stairs?
Yes, it is still quicker and takes you to the right place, but using the entrance by the NR station exit avoids doubling back on yourself (it’s also under cover so don’t get wet when it’s raining!)

Mikey C

Established Member
LU like sending people out of their way to spread passenger loadings, but the signposted way to the Victoria line effectively takes you to the entrance used for St Pancras domestic passengers, then back again!

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The three Tube lines at KXSP pass over each other roughly where the original escalators descend from the tube ticket hall (the one under the Kings Cross forecourt, accessed by the suggested shorter routes). The northern ticket hall opened in 2009 provided a separate set of acceses to the other end of each Tube platform, so spreading the passengers along the platforms and providing an indpendent emergency escape route. Because the three lines are in different directions the "far" ends of their platforms are much further apart, so taking the signed route via the northern ticket hall results in a much longer walk from the bottom of the escalators to the Victoria as well as a longer walk at surface or top-of-escalator level.

transmanche

Established Member
Yes.

Here's a 3D map of (part of) Kings Cross St Pancras which may help you visualise it.

My original suggestion was to use the entrance I've ringed in green. It leads down to the tube ticket hall (shaded grey) and you can take the escalator directly down to the Victoria line.

@Mojo suggested using the entrance I've ringed in yellow. If you ignore the signs and turn left, you'll also get to the tube ticket hall and be able to access the grey escalator down to the Victoria line. However, the signs from this entrance direct you to turn right towards the northern ticket hall (shaded orange) and you can see that the route down to the Victoria line is quite circuitous.

So whether you choose the 'green' or the 'yellow' entrance, simply make sure you go via the tube ticket hall (shaded grey), otherwise you'll end up going round the houses!

kx3d.png

Mikey C

Established Member
That's a great diagram! As I usually use the Northern Line from there, and only occasionally the other deep lines, I hadn't realised quite how much further the Victoria Line platforms were if you use the Northern Ticket Hall!

Indeed even you were in the Northern Ticket Hall it would be quicker to walk back to the original entrance and go in there!

transmanche

Established Member
That's a great diagram! As I usually use the Northern Line from there, and only occasionally the other deep lines, I hadn't realised quite how much further the Victoria Line platforms were if you use the Northern Ticket Hall!

Indeed even you were in the Northern Ticket Hall it would be quicker to walk back to the original entrance and go in there!
For those who don't know, there is a reason for this.

You can see that the passageway linking the Piccadilly to the Victoria line continues on towards Pentonville Road. This was originally constructed to provide access from the deep-level tube lines to King's Cross Thameslink station (neé King's Cross Midland City). This passageway has been recycled (with improvements such as lifts, etc.) and extended to link the Picadilly and Victoria lines to the new northern ticket hall. Had this passageway not already been in existence, I suspect that any new passageway from the northern ticket hall would not have had such a circuitous route.

However, the setup we have does have the advantage of spreading passengers along the Piccadilly and Victoria line platforms.

Mikey C

Established Member
For those who don't know, there is a reason for this.

You can see that the passageway linking the Piccadilly to the Victoria line continues on towards Pentonville Road. This was originally constructed to provide access from the deep-level tube lines to King's Cross Thameslink station (neé King's Cross Midland City). This passageway has been recycled (with improvements such as lifts, etc.) and extended to link the Picadilly and Victoria lines to the new northern ticket hall. Had this passageway not already been in existence, I suspect that any new passageway from the northern ticket hall would not have had such a circuitous route.

However, the setup we have does have the advantage of spreading passengers along the Piccadilly and Victoria line platforms.

I remember occasionally using that entrance. I can see why its beneficial to have passengers spread along the platforms, rather than all using the same cramped entrance

And the only people who use the longer passageways are mainly tourists and visitors anyway, leaving us locals to get out the quick way :lol:

LeylandLen

Ive often wondered if there was a quicker way to get to the Victoria line at Kings X.I am a senior citizen (male) , never liked the long walk, not good for me or any senior citizen . And for those having to drag those cumbersome cases on wheels, much favoured by tourists.

Claire73

Thank you to everyone for their advice and help. Especially for the diagram. I'll look at it tomorrow in more depth :)

Andyh82

Established Member
Can you do it in the opposite direction and leave the Victoria Line without using the long corridors, or is it no entry. What signs would you follow?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Can you do it in the opposite direction and leave the Victoria Line without using the long corridors, or is it no entry. What signs would you follow?

Yes, you can exit the Victoria Line "straight up" at the south end of the platforms ( back end of a northbound train / front of a southbound train ).

Mikey C

Established Member
Follow the signs towards the Circle/Metropolitan/H&C from any of the deep lines, that will take you up the old exit, as that's the only way you can interchange with them from the deep lines.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I remember occasionally using that entrance. I can see why its beneficial to have passengers spread along the platforms, rather than all using the same cramped entrance

And the only people who use the longer passageways are mainly tourists and visitors anyway, leaving us locals to get out the quick way :lol:
Also the original Victoria Line access at KX is right at one end of the platform, and the ones at several other of the busier stations are at the same end, so the trains tend to suffer from uneven loading.

E759

Yes, you can exit the Victoria Line "straight up" at the south end of the platforms ( back end of a northbound train / front of a southbound train ).
Thank you very useful. I've been arriving/departing at Kings Cross on the Victoria Line this year a few times a month and each time suffer that wretched tunnel! My tube app tells me to be in the back Northbound but I'll guess the Way Out signs at KGX Victoria platform point the other as mentioned. I'll give it a try next week.

Bayum

Established Member
Ive often wondered if there was a quicker way to get to the Victoria line at Kings X.I am a senior citizen (male) , never liked the long walk, not good for me or any senior citizen . And for those having to drag those cumbersome cases on wheels, much favoured by tourists.

Oh it's horrendous! Particularly if you've been travelling all day, your joints are beginning to swell and ache and various painkillers are doing nothing. The last thing you want is to be wandering up and down those blooming corridors when I've literally cut my journey into a quarter of what it was.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Thank you very useful. I've been arriving/departing at Kings Cross on the Victoria Line this year a few times a month and each time suffer that wretched tunnel! My tube app tells me to be in the back Northbound but I'll guess the Way Out signs at KGX Victoria platform point the other as mentioned. I'll give it a try next week.

The Way Out signs from the Victoria Line platforms direct you via the 'tourist route'. Arriving on the northbound Victoria Line travel in the rear carriage and follow the signs to the Hammersmith & City, Circle and Metropolitan Lines. This will take you to the original 'tube' ticket hall.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
The Way Out signs from the Victoria Line platforms direct you via the 'tourist route'. Arriving on the northbound Victoria Line travel in the rear carriage and follow the signs to the Hammersmith & City, Circle and Metropolitan Lines. This will take you to the original 'tube' ticket hall.

Actually, the Victoria line is one where you *can* trust the Way Out signs - as long as it's the right set. There are two versions along the platforms pointing in different directions - one set for 'Regent's Canal' (which you don't want to follow), and another set for 'Euston Road', which are the signs you want.

As mentioned, the foolproof method is to follow the signs for the Circle, Hammersmith & City and Metropolitan lines to ticket hall level, and then exit through the barriers.

For the Victoria line specifically, being at the rear of the train when travelling Northbound and the front of the train when travelling Southbound will put you nearest the correct exit.

E759

Actually, the Victoria line is one where you *can* trust the Way Out signs - as long as it's the right set. There are two versions along the platforms pointing in different directions - one set for 'Regent's Canal' (which you don't want to follow), and another set for 'Euston Road', which are the signs you want.

As mentioned, the foolproof method is to follow the signs for the Circle, Hammersmith & City and Metropolitan lines to ticket hall level, and then exit through the barriers.

For the Victoria line specifically, being at the rear of the train when travelling Northbound and the front of the train when travelling Southbound will put you nearest the correct exit.
Thank you. Saw the way sign out to Euston Road and thought, no, that's not where I need to go. Assumed the Tube App was wrong but clearly the authors know their stuff; obviously. [I'm terrible with street names and loose all sense of direction underground.]

Status
Not open for further replies.