• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

King's Cross to Waterloo best route?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trainfan344

Established Member
I've been looking at the tube map and trying to figure this out but not sure, what route would you recommend to get from King's Cross to Waterloo as quickly as possible?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I mean yes, Oxford Circus every time as long as you're OK with steps (Bakerloo Waterloo platforms are not step free). Green Park, Warren Street, Leicester Square and London Bridge are far worse interchanges.

Alternatively bus route 59

Trainfan344

Established Member
Good with steps, just in the process of planning trips and it's a trip I've never needed before. If I can get across London quicker I can get more time at my destination...

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Most definitely Victoria Line to Oxford Circus thence Bakerloo to Waterloo. Cross platform interchange at Oxford Circus seals the deal.

If your incoming train calls at Finsbury Park then pick up the Victoria Line there - it can save a couple of minutes (as long as you're ok with using the spiral staircase at Finsbury).

jopsuk

Veteran Member
if your outbound train calls at Vauxhall it could be advantageous to pick up there, although if busy you're less likely to get a seat.

Which means we've now, collectively, got an answer where "what's the best way from Kings Cross to Waterloo" is "don't use either station". This amuses me, but only applies for local services at both ends; long distance/express services then Oxford Circus it is.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Always wonder on the tfl stalking survey. Many used green park and the jubilee. Anyone know why this might be thought of as quicker.

I always use Oxford Circus myself.

PeterC

Established Member
Always wonder on the tfl stalking survey. Many used green park and the jubilee. Anyone know why this might be thought of as quicker.
Perception isn't the same as fact. Northbound people might expect Victoria Line trains to be easier to board at Green Park. In either direction people might perceive Oxford Curcus as uncomfortably crowded. Some might simply want the York Road exit at Waterloo and prefer to do the walking at Green Park and most probably made the decision based on the Tube Map without prior knowledge of station layouts.

rebmcr

Established Member

I always use Oxford Circus myself.

I would use Green Park for this, the Bakerloo has more stops and goes slower.

Victoria <-> Jubilee at Green Park is a quick, short walk, nothing like the Piccadilly trek.

essexjohn

TfL must think "via Oxford Circus" is best as I have seen posters at Kings Cross advising this. Are they still there?

Failed Unit

Established Member
I have done via Leicester Square in disruption. If you are at the right end of the train the walk to the northern is short. But prefer Oxford Circus.

Wirewiper

Would King's Cross St. Pancras - Green Park - Waterloo offer a step-free journey? That could be one reason for using that particular route.

AndrewE

Established Member
I would investigate walking to Euston and getting the Northern line. That way you avoid the time lost changing lines.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Would King's Cross St. Pancras - Green Park - Waterloo offer a step-free journey? That could be one reason for using that particular route.

Yes, via lifts in all cases. But only a small minority (wheelchair users, prams) would be swayed by that.

I think that route is popular with the "pick the route passing the fewest stations which means it'll be the quickest" brigade.

I would investigate walking to Euston and getting the Northern line. That way you avoid the time lost changing lines.

The cross-platform interchange at Oxford Circus is as good as a direct train in my view. Plus Euston tube station gets hideously congested. Victoria line is "straight down" off the concourse at Kings Cross (if you don't follow the signs...)

ijmad

Established Member
Thameslink to London Bridge, London Bridge to Waterloo East via Southeastern trains.

Lifts all the way. Almost guaranteed to get a seat.

Just kidding though... don't do this until May. Although there are a few services from St Pancras to London Bridge at the moment they aren't all that frequent. I've been hopping on them when I can though!

Last edited:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Heading Southbound there is step free access from the Bakerloo line at Waterloo, but heading Northbound customers would have to go via the Jubilee.

Trainfan344

Established Member
Victoria line is "straight down" off the concourse at Kings Cross (if you don't follow the signs...)

Can you explain, It looks most likely that I'll be coming off the suburban platforms and I notice there is a link to the underground from there.

AndrewE

Established Member
I think the question was simply about speed.
My usual terminus is Euston (so I use Euston Square too) but I have walked to and from Kings X quite often fairly recently, and after a bad mistake changing tube lines in the past I keep journeys as simple as possible. Can't remember, it might have been at Leicester square.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Thameslink to London Bridge, London Bridge to Waterloo East via Southeastern trains.

Lifts all the way. Almost guaranteed to get a seat.

Just kidding though... don't do this until May. Although there are a few services from St Pancras to London Bridge at the moment they aren't all that frequent. I've been hopping on them when I can though!

Although doesn't that cost more than the standard LU fare when using Oyster/Contactless at peak times (and slightly cheaper at off-peak times)?

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Can you explain, It looks most likely that I'll be coming off the suburban platforms and I notice there is a link to the underground from there.

Yes - head straight down that escalator. Instead of going through the ticket barriers there, head directly straight all the way along the corridor in front of you as you step off the escalator until you reach the next ticket hall and go through the barriers there. Then there is an escalator straight down to the Vic line platforms.

Note that this barrier line is very occasionally set to exit only (e.g. in disruption). In which case I continue through the next barrier line onto the Circle line platforms, and then follow the signs for the Victoria line interchange there.

ASharpe

From Platforms 0-8 (the long ones) the best route is head straight outside, then turn right and go down the escalators outside. Ignore the signs at the bottom and turn left and back on yourself to go down to the Victoria line. Change at Oxford Circus.

317 forever

Established Member
Although changing at Oxford Circus is the simplest and potentially quickest route, changing at Piccadilly Circus would be intriguing. It would mean using 1973 then 1972 Mk II stock, the oldest remaining fleets on London Underground.

Abpj17

Depending on how you're getting to Kings X, my favourite is St P Thameslink to Blackfriars and a v. quick taxi from the south entrance to waterloo. Far easiest with luggage. (Or bus from City Thameslink Ludgate to Waterloo)

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Of course, no-one has mentioned the bike hire, although Waterloo Bridge is a bit dicy- if you've got time it's better to cut across to Farringdon Road to CS6 (soon to be extended to Kings Cross to make this easier), down across Blackfriars bridge and pick up QW1 on the south side of the river to Waterloo.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Although changing at Oxford Circus is the simplest and potentially quickest route, changing at Piccadilly Circus would be intriguing. It would mean using 1973 then 1972 Mk II stock, the oldest remaining fleets on London Underground.

Going north I think, the connection at Picc Circus is very short, in spite of requiring steps - literally one flight from one platform to another.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Very difficult to try to put myself in the position of someone knowing nothing about London, other than knowing they had to get from King's Cross to Waterloo by tube, and possessing an Underground map, but I reckon I'd look at the relative position of each station on the map and try to go in as straight a line as possible i.e. not deviating to the west or east more than I had to. On that basis, I'd probably choose Leicester Square as the interchange point, but I might be tempted to Northern Line it all the way, with a change at Euston, maybe expecting an extremely seamless change there (:smile:). Of course, if I had a rather old Tube map I might wonder why the Piccadilly Line had that strange branch from Holborn to Aldwych and wonder both how near the latter was to Waterloo and why TfL hadn't the wit to extend it there!

ASharpe

I might be tempted to Northern Line it all the way, with a change at Euston, maybe expecting an extremely seamless change there (:smile:).

If you look at a tube map you will the two branches of the Northern Line are treated as almost separate stations - From memory it involves an escalator ride a short walk and a fair few steps.

I'd also like to mention that if my train calls at Vauxhall I'm not opposed to just using the Victoria line to go to Kings Cross- but I'd wouldn't choose to change at Clapham Junction for it and I wouldn't do it going south as you are far less likely to get a seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.