King's Cross to Waterloo best route?

Discussion in 'London Underground' started by Trainfan344, 2 Mar 2018.

1. Nick66

Nick66 Member

That escalator is often exit (there is only one), in which case I second the advice to use the entrance just outside the mainline station. As already mentioned, don't follow the signs or you might as well walk to Waterloo

2. bluegoblin7

bluegoblin7 Member

Down until around lunchtime, up thereafter; it generally operates for the peak flow and is NR operated.

3. Nick66

Nick66 Member

Makes sense. I’m usually only there PM and used to think it was exit only until I saw it going down once and now I think about it that will have been around lunchtime.

4. swt_passenger

swt_passenger Veteran Member

Back when LU used to have those coloured lights on the passageway ceilings showing the recommended routes between mainline termini, they were never updated to show use of the Bakerloo/Victoria route via Oxford Circus. Never worked out whether that was intentional...

5. cactustwirly

cactustwirly Established Member

Agreed I would also use Green Park over Oxford Circus.

6. Jordeh

Jordeh Member

One which hasn’t been mentioned yet is via Bank using the Waterloo & City line and Northern line.

Not the quickest or easiest route admittedly but I did enjoy it for the novelty of using the W&C line a few years ago.

7. Failed Unit

Failed Unit Established Member

When (if) Thameslink hits great northern I may try going to London Bridge and then Waterloo East. See if it is quicker.

8. RichardN

RichardN Member

Fewest stations is via Bank and the W&C, but is another bad choice.

If via Oxford Circus looked to be problematic due to disruption, I'd normally go via Warren Street or Leicester Square depending on the disruption.

9. Trainfan344

Trainfan344 Established Member

What's the quickest route from the main line platforms to the Victoria line?

10. Kite159

Kite159 Established Member

At Kings Cross?

Exit the station into the square area, pass the little kiosk and there is an enterance there. Once down the stairs do a large curve with a few more steps with a gateline. Victoria is the escalators on the right hand side.

11. Trainfan344

Thanks this thread came in handy yesterday, although I got a bit confused leaving the Victoria line, walked down the long corridor and up the escalators then rather than going up the stairs there, went up the escalators.

12. Mojo

Mojo Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I always use the staircase immediately to the right of the main station exit rather than walking across the square; this also saves you getting wet when it’s raining! On the way in, this also saves you having to cross with people coming out of the “way out” of the Tube gateline.

13. philjo

philjo Established Member

If using the escalator at Green Park this is quite quick as I did Canary Wharf to Kings Cross via Green Park in about 25 minutes on Friday.

I was transferring from Waterloo to Kings Cross a couple of weeks ago with a large suitcase so was using the lifts.
    There isn't lift access as far as am aware at Waterloo to the Bakerloo line so I used the lift to the Jubilee line and changed at Green Park.
    It is a very long walk using the lifts to access the Victoria Line - you have to use1 lift & then through the very long corridor to almost reach the Piccadilly line then back along the long connection to the Victoria & up another lift to access the platforms. At Kings cross the Victoria Line lift then brings you out in the long corridor to the northern ticket hall. I'll use the 59 bus next time! Though as I'll be able to get a direct Thameslink train home from London Bridge from next month I'll probably go via Waterloo East & change at London Bridge.

14. backontrack

backontrack Established Member

I will echo the sentiments everyone who has recommended changing at Oxford Circus - it's a quick, snappy, cross-platform interchange.

You also have a reasonable chance of getting a seat for half of your journey - because there are sometimes free spaces on the Bakerloo Line.

15. Kite159

It also depends which platform you want at Waterloo, as if its a high numbered platform the Bakerloo is better than the Jubilee (which is better for the low numbered platforms).

16. Peter Mugridge

Peter Mugridge Established Member

I have found I can get to the low numbered ones quicker from the Bakerloo than from the Jubilee...

17. Kite159

Especially if the peak time subway is open

18. Peter Mugridge

Peter Mugridge Established Member

I've never actually used that when outbound, only inbound!

19. westv

westv Established Member

Funnily enough there's the potential for me to possibly have to do the Kings X to Waterloo journey peak time. It fills me with visions of hell on earth compared to the Met/Circle eastbound. Am I wrong?

20. Hadders

Hadders Established Member

It's very straightforward. If it's the morning peak then the Victoria Line at Kings Cross will be very busy but not impossible, in the evening peak you'll have no issues. It's a simple cross platform interchange at Oxford Circus. If you inbound train calls at Finsbury Park consider joining the Victoria Line there as it'll be far easier to board. If you do need to board at Kings Cross then don't follow the 'tourist route' - head to the ticket hall under the big square at the front of the station. Don't follow the signs to the new Northern ticket Hall unless you fancy a hike!

21. westv

westv Established Member

I expect it'd be a little less pleasant during a summer heatwave though!

22. westv

westv Established Member

In the reverse direçtion, the NR serviçe I'm looking at suggests changing at Clapham Junction then changing at Vauxhall to get the Ñorthern line. Is this actually any better than the Bakerloo/Victorià mentioned?

23. Ianno87

Ianno87 Established Member

Not in my opinion no, assuming the Bakerloo Line is functioning.

24. Mojo

Presumably you mean the Victoria line from Vauxhall?

It /could/ be quicker, particularly if your service has some padding/recovery time or otherwise time booked to wait for a vacant platform outside Waterloo in between its departure time from Clapham Jct and its arrival at Waterloo.

If the train is booked to call at Vauxhall then yes I would alight there without a doubt and catch a direct Victoria line train; but I find it hard to envisage that it is quicker to change at Clapham Jct onto a train calling at Vauxhall.

25. westv

westv Established Member

Yes I meant Victoria rather than Northern.
    Thanks for the replies. Just what I was thinking too.

26. Trainfan344

Just be careful alighting at Kings Cross, do not go towards the front of the train northbound, as this requires a trek through miles and miles (At least it felt like Miles) of tunnels to exit from the station.

27. Muzer

Muzer Established Member

Is it a bad choice? I haven't timed it, but I imagine *if you know where you're going* it could be quite a fast route!

@swt_passenger I'm not old enough to remember the coloured lights! Is there a photo of them?

@Mojo Is there really step-free access to the Bakerloo at Waterloo?! Where's the lift up to the platforms?

28. westv

westv Established Member

Thanks. I've only ever entered Kings X via the Met/H&S or Northern.

29. Dstock7080

Dstock7080 Established Member

30. Mojo

Access is to the Southbound Bakerloo only, via the Jubilee line ticket hall lifts. Go down in the lift to the interchange concourse (one above Jubilee platform level), along the walkway between the moving walkways and then you are at the bottom of the escalators from the main ticket hall. There is a ramp/corridor to the Southbound Bakerloo platform. It is just a side effect of providing access to the Jubilee line.