• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

King's Cross to Waterloo best route?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichardN

Is it a bad choice? I haven't timed it, but I imagine *if you know where you're going* it could be quite a fast route!

@swt_passenger I'm not old enough to remember the coloured lights! Is there a photo of them?

@Mojo Is there really step-free access to the Bakerloo at Waterloo?! Where's the lift up to the platforms?

https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/bank-monument.jpg

You've got to walk parallel to the travelator, then down an escalator. Against that it is easy to get out at Waterloo from the W&C, though getting down to the Northern is down two flights of escalators at KX, so you lose more at that end.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

westv

Established Member
Yes I meant Victoria rather than Northern.
Thanks for the replies. Just what I was thinking too.

Ah, just noticed that the service I would have to get departs Guildford at 16:34 arriving at Waterloo at 17:14. The onwards service from Kings X would be 18:03.
I think 49 minutes is less than the 53 (?) minutes minimum connection time so maybe that's why the journey planner suggests changing at Clapham Jct and then Vauxhall for the Victoria Line??

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The connection times are: -
Waterloo - Kings Cross is 15 Min + 23 Min + 15 Min = 53 Min as you suggest
Vauxhall - Kings Cross is 5 Min + 23 Min + 15 Min = 43 Min.

You could be correct, as Vauxhall saves 10 Min from the minimum connection time compared to Waterloo. Clapham Jcn, however, has a 10 Min minimum connection time; the train in question gets to Clapham Jcn at 17.05; the first valid connection would be onto the 17.16, arriving Vauxhall 17.20, which gives you exactly the minimum connection time of 43 Min to get to Kings Cross.

Last edited:

westv

Established Member
I currently allow just over an hour for my weekly journey Aldgate to Kings X and it usually takes a lot less than that.
This new weekly route (which I am being forced to do) which just allows the minimum time sounds a recipe for stress!

westv

Established Member
The Bakerloo has been absolutely boiling the last few Fridays I've used it to get to Kings X around 4:20pm or so.

westv

Established Member
I had to do some quick thinking earlier as the Victoria line had been suspended shortly before I arrived at Oxford Circus on the Bakingloo.
Short period of "Where do I go now?!". Quickly realised I could get back on the Bakingloo and change at Baker Street.

Status
Not open for further replies.