• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Kings Cross to Wembley Stadiums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razor1967

I am going to Wembley to support York City in the FA Trophy final on Sunday May 21st (no laughing please !!) with some mates.

I have got the rail tickets from York to London and back sorted.

I am just after a bit of advice on the tube connections. I intend to use my contactless card for the journey and on the way back I am getting the Metropolitan line from Wembley Park back to Kings Cross as this is the quickest way to ensure I get my train home. TFL states £2.80 for the single trip which is good value.

However on the way we have a bit of time to kill and thought about getting the tube from Kings Cross to Marylebone and then out on a Chiltern train to Wembley Stadium. TFL states this fare is still £2.80 even though it's a longer journey.

Is this right as I wouldn't mind a look at the 68s on the depot as we go past.

If the fare is right I assume I touch in on yellow readers at Kings Cross and then out at Baker Street. We will walk across to Marylebone and get a train out to Wembley Stadium.

As Marylebone is a main line station does it have contactess readers to get me through the gates or is it not as straight forward as the TFL journey planner states and is the fare still only £2.80 ?

Amy local knowledge would be appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

causton

Established Member
Sounds about right, yes.

Touch in at Kings Cross St Pancras, travel to Baker Street.
Touch out at Baker Street, walk to Marylebone
Touch in at Marylebone (the barriers there have Oyster readers), travel to Wembley Stadium.
At Wembley Stadium you must touch out on the yellow standalone Oyster readers near the exit, there are no barriers there.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
That's all right. The fares are zonal, so a journey from ANY zone 4 station to Kings's Cross (a Zone 1 station) is £2.80 off peak. At King's Cross you tap in at the gateline, out at the gate line at Baker Street. You've got 40 minutes to then walk to Marylebone and tap in at the gateline there- this is an official Out of Station Interchange- to have it count as a single journey. At Wembley Stadium station don't forget to tap out at the readers- these seem to be located on the bridge.

All national rail stations in London are are equipped at I think every gate line or for every open platform for Oyster/Contactless

Razor1967

Thanks for the replies. £2.80 from Kings Cross to Wembley Stadium via Maylebone is amazing value.

A single trip bus journey from where I live in York to the City Centre (less than a mile and a half) costs £1.60 !!

silvercar

Make sure you tap in and out at Wembley Park, even if the barriers are open. To encourage easy movement of passengers, the barriers are often kept open at football match times.

Also crowd control on leaving Wembley Stadium usually involves stopping people as they leave the stadium for regular but short times to ensure no overcrowding along the route to the tube and at the tube station.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Depends what part of the stadium you are in, it may be quicker to use the Chiltern shuttles on the way back to Central London as well, taking into account the queues to Wembley Park

(That assuming Chiltern do their usual "stopping everything at Wembley Stadium" trick)

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
That's all right. The fares are zonal, so a journey from ANY zone 4 station to Kings's Cross (a Zone 1 station) is £2.80 off peak

This is not true in the general case. You've fallen for TfL's propaganda! For example, Grove Park to Kings Cross Underground is #4.40 off-peak, as detailed on the Oyster Single Fare Finder. Oyster fares do not just depend on the time of day and zones travelled, but also the modes of transport as defined on a map that TfL appear to have deleted from their website. The distinction is similar but not identical to that on the Freedom Pass map

London Underground, DLR, London Overground and some National Rail services that are shown is one rate (roughly those shown in green, blue, pink and orange), with the remaining National Rail services at a higher rate (roughly those shown in red). 'Mixed-mode' journeys that involve the red National Rail routes and also travel on tube/DLR are charged a different rate again*, which is substantially higher than the others if it involves zone 1 in the peak.

For Travelcards, the price is the same though, regardless of mode of transport.

*You can mix cheap and expensive National Rail though, and not pay the mixed mode surcharge, as long as there is no tube/DLR involved

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.