• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Kings Norton-London Super-Off-Peak TravelCard Return

Status
Not open for further replies.

crosscity

Last Sunday morning my grandson decided to take his girlfriend to London for the day and wanted to know what the cheapest fare was. I told him that he could buy a Super Off-Peak Travelcard Return from Kings Norton for £34.70. I looked at the Chiltern website to get this information. On BRfares this ticket has restriction code PV and is routed 'High Wycombe', and has no restrictions on a Saturday or Sunday.

We all duly turned up at Kings Norton station, but the ticket machine was having none of it! There was a Super-Off Peak Return to Marylebone for £29.70 (also restriction code PV) and the only Chiltern Travelcard fare I could find was the Off-Peak version for £58. At one point there were six or seven 'Zone 1-6' options, but without going into each one you couldn't identify what they were.

The booking office was closed, so I advised them to buy tickets to Birmingham, and buy the Super Off-Peak ticket from Moor Street booking office, which they did.

Is it reasonable for me to assume this ticket could be bought at Kings Norton, or can it only be bought from Chiltern Railways? Should London Midland cough-up for the added expense of the local tickets? (The fare is the same from both Kings Norton and Moor Street).

Status
Not open for further replies.