Kings X - Doncaster return

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by SiggerSigAh, 13 Jun 2019 at 09:31.

1. SiggerSigAh

SiggerSigAh Member

Morning all,

I need to go to Doncaster for work next week so my employer has booked me a standard anytime return, leaving Kings X on Monday 17th June and returning Tuesday 18th.

The booking specifies certain trains but as it's an 'anytime' fare I assume I can just get any train I like (please correct me if there are any associated timing restrictions).

My main question is that on the return leg the TOC is shown as being LNER, who I have always used, but on the initial journey it's Hull Trains. I've never heard of Hull Trains before but as my ticket states I'm to travel with them, can I only catch a Hull Trains service? Ergo would I not be allowed to use a LNER train if it was at a more convenient time?

Sorry if I've rambled a bit. Please let me know if any further clarification is required.

Cheers!

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. mallard

mallard Established Member

If it's been booked as a return and the return leg is by LNER, then it's likely to be the ordinary "Anytime" ticket (£215 return), which can be used on any train by any company on the permitted routes at any time.

If the ticket itself says "Hull Trains only" (or words to that effect), then it can indeed only be used on Hull Trains services, but in that case it could not have been booked as a return with the return leg on LNER and would have to have been booked as two single tickets.

4. Iskra

Iskra Established Member

Could you post a picture or screenshot of these tickets so that correct advice can be given?

Sounds like you have an anytime ticket but seat reservations on a LNER and Hull Trains service in each direction? If so you don’t have to stick to the reserved trains and you can use any service you wish.

5. ainsworth74

ainsworth74 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Any chance you could upload a photo of the ticket (with any identifying details removed)? It would allow us to be certain about any restrictions.

In general terms however an Anytime Return would be valid without any time restrictions. But could have an operator restriction.

6. Belperpete

Belperpete Member

If the same return ticket is valid on both LNER & Hull trains, out on one and back by the other, suggests that you can use either operator. The critical thing is any endorsement on the ticket itself. Does it say something like "only valid on xxx trains" or "valid via any permitted route" on the ticket itself? Does it have some wording like "See restrictions nre.co.uk/XX"?

When you say "as my ticket states I'm to travel with them, can I only catch a Hull Trains service?", is it your ticket or your itinerary that says you are to use Hull trains?

7. SiggerSigAh

SiggerSigAh Member

Thanks for the very swift replies. I've not printed the tickets yet but attached is the email confirmation I received with journey details.

Cheers!

8. Mojo

Mojo Administrator Staff Member Administrator

A £234 Anytime Return from Surbiton to Doncaster is valid on any train operator and any train on both the outbound and return journey. You do not have to travel on the train(s) specified on your itinerary.

9. SiggerSigAh

SiggerSigAh Member

Ah brilliant, thanks very much for the clarification :)

10. _toommm_

_toommm_ Established Member

And if you did want to travel with LNER instead, you can contact them on Twitter to request a seat on whichever timed train you like, as long as you do it before the day of travel.

11. Hadders

Hadders Established Member

No need to have a seat reservation to travel though. Simply sit in an unreserved seat.

12. ForTheLoveOf

ForTheLoveOf Established Member

Indeed - and for £234 for a journey of that distance, you'd expect to have that right too!

13. _toommm_

_toommm_ Established Member

Of course not, but you'd definitely want a seat reservation if the service is planned to be busy, or you wanted a table to do work....