• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Kingswear to Paignton railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

eMeS

Some help please.
Visiting and riding on the Kingswear to Paignton railway last week, we were hauled by a US steam loco, but I couldn't see any ID on it. I did get some recordings of its whistle, and a snap of the superheater label.
Many thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MarkyT

Established Member
Some help please.
Visiting and riding on the Kingswear to Paignton railway last week, we were hauled by a US steam loco, but I couldn't see any ID on it. I did get some recordings of its whistle, and a snap of the superheater label.
Many thanks.

6046, an S160 locomotive, was running about on trains there last week.

One of a pair based on the Churnet Valley Railway its classmate 5193 was on hire to the Dartmouth Steam Railway briefly early last year, but disappeared again rather quickly after there were complaints about how much black smoke it is was emitting. 6046 is back on the line now for the summer and I've heard rumours it may remain for a number of years now. This one doesn't seem to have the smoking problem.

Last edited:

Shenandoah

t has been running yesterday and today for sure. Thanks to weather and wind direction I was able to hear that lovely chime.

fireftrm

One of a pair based on the Churnet Valley Railway its classmate 5193 was on hire to the Dartmouth Steam Railway briefly early last year, but disappeared again rather quickly after there were complaints about how much black smoke it is was emitting. 6046 is back on the line now for the summer and I've heard rumours it may remain for a number of years now. This one doesn't seem to have the smoking problem.
You may find she's going to be replaced with another S160 - 2253 - once she's ready

MarkyT

Established Member
You may find she's going to be replaced with another S160 - 2253 - once she's ready
That's what I understood and why I was surprised to see another black one appear from the Churnet Valley this year. A quick search reveals DSR is still intended to be 2253's permanent home once overhaul is complete at NYMR, so I assume 6046 is actually a short term substitute and will no doubt be useful for crew familiarisation etc ready for 2253's arrival.
https://www.railadvent.co.uk/2019/0...ves-at-the-north-yorkshire-moors-railway.html

Shenandoah

well, you have mentioned, in an earlier post, an S160 was running on the DSR last year, so crew familiarization should not be too intensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.