• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Kirkham to London Euston

Status
Not open for further replies.

umontu

Just wondering where the best place to split a ticket between Kirkham and London Euston is this wednesday.

I've figured out already it's cheeper to split at Crewe. The gap between my arrival and the cheapest train is 30 minutes (Not a problem) but the journey time then on is over 3 hours! Is there a way I can make this a shorter journey but not as expensive? As the nearest ones to that train are over £50 more expensive!

I'm leaving Kirkham at 06:56 returning from London at 21:10 and there are two of us one with a 16-25 railcard.

Cheers in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Are you aware Virgin allow railcard-discounted Off-Peak tickets to be used at peak times? So a Preston to London Off-Peak Return, for example, could be used for one of you. I don't believe a Kirkham ticket could be used as this incorporates some travel that isn't on Virgin.

Splitting opportunities are very limited to London on the West Coast due to the stopping pattern. The Virgin service you see from Crewe to London runs non-stop. The fare you found from Crewe to London is cheaper precisely because it is a slower service (London Midland only).

Last edited:

OwlMan

Established Member
Off Peak returns from Lancaster are valid on all trains that arrive in London after 1005. Unfortunately no break of journey is allowed on the outward journey so you are unable to join the train at Preston with a Lancaster ticket
You could however try one of the following alternatives

Kirkham dep 0608 or 0656
Preston arr 0619 or 0707
Preston dep 0644 or 0714
Lancaster arr 0659 or 0730
Lancaster dep 0737
London arr 1012

This would cost £9-30 each for a KIrkham - Lancaster return (no rc discount)
plus £77-50 (£51-15 with R/C) for an Off peak Lancaster - London return.

On the return journey a break of journey is allowed and you will be able to alight at Preston with no need to travel to Lancaster.

The later of these journeys does not allow much time at Lancaster and I would advise cathching the earlier one.

Peter

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.