• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Kln/Bonn Flughafen-Mnchen Hauptbahnhof-08/08/2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

GWRjake

Hi all, following a scheduled arrival into CGN at 10:25 on the aforementioned date, I intend to make this journey by train. So far, all I have found in terms of saver fares (€29) is a departure at around half 1 which takes around 7 (rather than the preferable 5) hours. There are faster, better timed trains, but these are considerably more expensive (starting at €60-70).
1-Is split ticketing a thing in Germany that'd be worth looking into?
2-Which departure would you suggest for the best combination of price and time?

Thanks in advance! :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dutchflyer

Established Member
@1. NO. tipically 29 eur fares are with IC, and higher fares apply for travel by -yes, faster- ICE. in this case ICE is much faster, as these are the only trains allowed to use the (the name says it ) Hi-Speed line direct Köln-FRA. 29 is also the MIN fare anyway for long distance ''advance'' (Sparpreis) tickets anyway.
@2 up to you-weigh down cost and travel time. And realise that with the 29 eur fare in an IC you can look out along the splendid Rhine valley-not on the ICE.

Veteran Member
I can't get near that price until 3 pm. The tickets will be going quickly as booking has just opened.

However, try booking to Innsbruck at 12.30 instead, and stopping short - which is perfectly legit. Or to Bischofshofen an hour later via the Rhine Valley - putting in VIA Köln Hbf and specifying "not ICE " for the first leg means you don't have to hang around at the airport.
I'm getting EUR39 for both, which as good as you'll get.

DB Europe Special is often worth checking out - it also allows you 2x 48hr stopovers, unlike a Sparpreis, though it's not relevant to you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.