• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Knaresborough operating restrictions and possible fixes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken H

On Moderation
Quite a few threads have mentioned the operating restrictions at Knaresborough. Train lengths I think.

What are they exactly?

Are they fixable? How?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Legolash2o

I have not seen the posts but I believe the Up platform at Knaresborough is 83m and the Down is 82m.

Also, according to NESA a few vehicles seem to have speed restrictions.

Ken H

On Moderation
I have not seen the posts but I believe the Up platform at Knaresborough is 83m and the Down is 82m.

Also, according to NESA a few vehicles seem to have speed restrictions.

dont all trains have to have through corridor connections because reversing is done on a viaduct (So the driver can change ends by going through the saloons)

The Lad

A short platform exists to get from one unit to a other. Tunnel one end of platforms, level crossing the other.

hwl

Established Member
A short platform exists to get from one unit to a other. Tunnel one end of platforms, level crossing the other.
And beyond the LC, the narrow gap in the houses then the Viaduct over the Nidd gorge. With most of the buildings listed...

noddingdonkey

I may be missing something here, but why do they do that shunt on the viaduct to turn back to Leeds? Can they not use the crossover in service to terminate the incoming service on the Leeds-bound platform? Is it just because of conflicts with services from York?

Would replacing or supplementing that crossover with one in the opposite direction help matters and eliminate the shunt?

DPWH

On Moderation
I may be missing something here, but why do they do that shunt on the viaduct to turn back to Leeds? Can they not use the crossover in service to terminate the incoming service on the Leeds-bound platform? Is it just because of conflicts with services from York?

Would replacing or supplementing that crossover with one in the opposite direction help matters and eliminate the shunt?

Well, I'm not a p-way engineer or signalling engineer, but from what little I do now, putting the crossover in the tunnel doesn't seem like a great idea. Putting it the other side of the tunnel would be somewhat easier, but my guess is it's in the best place now.

noddingdonkey

I wasn't suggesting a crossover in the tunnel. I was suggesting a crossover on the viaduct side so services returning to Leeds could depart from the other platform rather than shunting.

The Lad

If late the Leeds will depart from its arrival platform without the shunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.