• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Knobbly Platform Edges

Status
Not open for further replies.

richa2002

Established Member
Am I the only one here who thinks these knobbly platform edges are a total waste of money and another case of the minorities ruling the majority.
I mean at Rannoch they were doing platform work there last year and replacing the old slabs with knobbly crap. Now let's be honest, is anyone 'disabled' really going to go to a place like Rannoch ? I could just about understand it if they did them at just all the main stations but why are they at every single station! DDA equals crap and must cost the railways millions every year.

Rant over.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlexS

Established Member
Eh? And why shouldn't a disabled person want to go to Rannoch? The DDA is all about making places more accessible to disabled people, and thus far, all you do is bitch and moan that it makes your trains look less 'pretty' and that the platform edges now have bobbles on! Get over it!

Nick W

Established Member
I've always wondered if it would be cheaper to provide free taxis for disabled people than to make stations accessable.

Of course disabled rail enthusiasts would want the latter, so taxis don't sove all problems.

TheSlash

Established Member
Richard has a point but doesn't express it properly.
I often wonder how many things are actually asked for and how much is thought up by people in offices dreaming up such schemes to justify they're own exsistance

Jonno2055

IN some cases ramps may be better than lifts, it ceratinly costs less, providing you have the room for ramps. Wihtam doesn't have bobbley platform edges but we do have platform to street access by a lift, I don't mind what the platforms look like, just as long as the bloomin' trains run.

I'm just talking a load of nonsence aren't I?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm all for it, providing the money is provided and accounted for properly by a seperate DDA fund.

What I object to is situations where the DDA forces the rail industry to finance schemes out of it's own pocket, which then could cause stations or even whole lines to close, or new stations not to be opened, because they have to be DDA compliant.

Here is an example of things being taken too far:

The new bridge extention at York, that links the existing footbridge directly to the NRM, nearly didn't get built. Some disabled lobby (I can't remember the exact organisation involved) insisted that lifts were provided, and they claimed that it would not be fair for the extention to be built if this was not done. There is no way this would ever have gone ahead, as the lifts are provided in the subway. So they were effectively asking for about 4 lifts, which was unaffordable and there is no room for the lifts anyway.

Fortunately common sense prevailed and the bridge was opened with just a few days to spare in time for RailFest 2004.

Disabled people are no worse off, and can still access all platforms from the main entrance.

Chris

I actually find knobbly platforms are quite good in icy weather, you don't slip on the nobbles, which can be useful in places like Rannoch:idea:

asopu10

I think its perfectly reasonable for it to be done, and yes maybe it would be cheaper for taxies for all disabled persons, but imagine how much they'd miss out on then, even little thinks like getting a train to work mean a lot if your disabled, and you want as normal a life as possible, if it means some new paving slabs and some paint I'm all for it. But I too have to wonder how much of this is actually asked for by disabled persons and how much is actually dreamed up by ideots in offices.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
We've actually had them down here for years, so I guess Arriva was doing something right when it held the franchise :lol:

richa2002

Established Member
Chris said:
I actually find knobbly platforms are quite good in icy weather, you don't slip on the nobbles, which can be useful in places like Rannoch:idea:
It's funny you say that. I actually find that they are very slippery in wet weather as I discovered on the streets of Glasgow last year.
--- edited ---
asopu10 said:
I think its perfectly reasonable for it to be done, and yes maybe it would be cheaper for taxies for all disabled persons, but imagine how much they'd miss out on then, even little thinks like getting a train to work mean a lot if your disabled, and you want as normal a life as possible, if it means some new paving slabs and some paint I'm all for it. But I too have to wonder how much of this is actually asked for by disabled persons and how much is actually dreamed up by ideots in offices.
But think of the money being spent on it. I can understand disabled toilets but why spend a load of money on little used stations. Everything seems to be 'blanket' and seperate situations are not looked in to. The knobbly platform edges are for visually impaired people I suspect ? Well don't these people usually carry around some sort of 'stick' to guide thereselves around, surely they could use this to detect the edge of the platform ?

Tom B

Established Member
I can see where Richard is coming from - there are lots of stations where the expenditure isn't justified, it just seems to be being done because it has to be - rather than there being a local requirement for it - a lift which might go in a refurbrished suburban station could perhaps be better used at a major interchange. However there are plenty of places where such facilities are needed.

asopu10

Richard Armstrong said:
But think of the money being spent on it. I can understand disabled toilets but why spend a load of money on little used stations. Everything seems to be 'blanket' and seperate situations are not looked in to. The knobbly platform edges are for visually impaired people I suspect ? Well don't these people usually carry around some sort of 'stick' to guide thereselves around, surely they could use this to detect the edge of the platform ?
I feel it is justified, and the white sticks can guide them yes, however if they are walking and for some reason don't tap the right area or something the edges warn them that there going to get seriusley injured if they don't change direction, I think it is necersary because they may only be used once a year, but that was in my book worth it. However I do see your point on cost and have to wonder if thier going to do it why they don't intergarte it into the platform when there reurfaced or when the station is refurbished. My local station and Nottingham does'nt have it. However one of the other near by ones does and they put them in when the platform was alteard, which I feel is better than haveing them put in to a perfectly fine platform unless theres not going to be any work done for years on it.

Nick W

Established Member
Wouldn't a blind person walk into people anyway?

HMM I wonder how many disabled people would prefer taxis. I bet the disabled rail enthusiasts appreciate it though.

My marternal great grandparents have gone by train to cornwall, and have found the lack of porters annoying. They had to use a taxi from charring cross to paddington and back to avoid the tube.

O L Leigh

Established Member
Hi Gang!!

It's hard to say when such things may or may not be justified, as you never know when someone who may need such facilities might turn up and want to use them. Just because someone is visually impaired, it doesn't mean that they won't be up on Rannoch Moor and want to catch a train.

I have to say that I'm all for it. It wouldn't take a very big accident or serious illness for any of us to end up with some sort of disability that means we might require additional help. You can bet your life that I wouldn't want to give up on the activities that I enjoy just because I may not be as physically able as I am now, so why should I be restricted? OK, so it may cost money to put all the required measures in place to allow total access to the network, but that has to be money well spent when you consider the additional fares that the TOC's can collect as a result. If nobbly paving stops someone from falling off a platform onto the road and injuring themselves (never mind that they might end up getting run over) I have to say that it is worth it. When you compare it to the amount of money that TOC's spend on corporate branding (including rolling stock repaints and station signage) that may only last 7 years, you have to wonder where the money is being wasted and where it is being invested.

Besides, I think that most folk overlook just how many stations are already accessible because of pre-existing infrastructure. I can name any number of medium-sized stations in my region that have retained their goods lifts or have always had ramped access to all platforms.

Anyway, so what if the disabled are a minority? It's a smokescreen to suggest that just because a group is small in number that the majority can ignore their needs. Would you prefer that they were locked up in hospitals and institutions than given the help that they need to live the kind of fulfilling lives that we take for granted? Or do people find the sight of a blind person or wheelchair user on public transport offensive? Some people may see these sort of initiatives as political correctness gone mad, but I will guarantee you that a week in a wheelchair or blindfolded will change anyone's point of view.

Sorry to rant, but this is a subject I feel very strongly about. I will put my soapbox away now.

one TN

Nick W

Established Member
Very convincing side ONE TN!

I think it's convinced me.

Sparks off a new debate - branding. Maybe we sould go back to what BR did or maybe passengers should be able to choose livery by means of competitions and online voting, and keep liveries as long as possible to save money.

Jonno2055

How about I bog standard livery with the name of the company in white writing on the side

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Jonno2055 said:
How about I bog standard livery with the name of the company in white writing on the side

Yes but it's nice for some variety. Even BR had various different liveries.

Jonno2055

I'm just thinking about saving money...

Darl coulours should be used. Hides the dirt like the old dark stone light stone gwr livery

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Jonno2055 said:
I'm just thinking about saving money...

Darl coulours should be used. Hides the dirt like the old dark stone light stone gwr livery
I don't think you can save thay much money with liveries.

And trains should be kept clean, regardless of livery. A dark livery may disguise the dirt, but it's no fun for passengers looking out of the windows.

It is true that money is being wasted by the almost constant re-branding, but the livery is just a part of that. I don't think the DfT could force TOCs to standardise their branding. ;)

Love it or loath it, the mix of different liveries is here to stay.

richa2002

Established Member
I think the variety of liveries add a very interesting aspect to the railways. If everything went back to BR Blue we would soon get very bored!

ChrisM

Richard Armstrong said:
I think the variety of liveries add a very interesting aspect to the livery. If everything went back to BR Blue we would soon get very bored!

Agree and i think some liveries add a touch of colour to many photos which might otherwise be boring and dull.

Status
Not open for further replies.