• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Know it all trainspotters...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You don't have to be there when using a railcard - I asked a similar question on a forum here

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Where 58's still operate in commercial service...
Railway enthousiast are the eyes for the Company when the train is running. When I was spotting near Bussum Zuid and walked back to the station, I saw a Intercity bound for Amsterdam. Not realy shocking couse this train operates every 30 minutes. BUT..... When I spotted smoke comming from the wheels :!: :!: :!: :!: I called the Alert number of the transport police and while exlaining the situation I looked at a list I made the day before, where every train number was listed ( www.somda.nl ). I told the officer the trainnumber. One hour later the officer phoned me back, telling me the train was taken out of service for further inspection.

You never know what happened if that train resumed it's services that day. Perhaps a derailment, perhaps wors, or perhaps nothing....... you never know ;)

jd

I know he probably technically was right, but I'm sure he could see the rush I was in, and I'm sure he was fully aware the London train was departing in a few mins, so if he wanted to I'm sure he could have done me a favour and been helpful. And anyway, they NEVER check you're the card holder. I've been asked once (we've had FAMs for at least 8 years), and even then they didn't ask for any ID, they just took my dad's word that he was who he said he was. I've even used the FAM as the adult before with friends who are the same age as me (I look like I'm well over 16, as those who've met me probably know!).

The staff at BSW are very unhelpful anyway. Last time I was there I went to the ticket window with a query, the woman was on the phone to a friend (judging by the end of the conversation I could hear) and just sat there looking at me for a few minutes, until I got p***ed off, swore at her quietly and left.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
91119, care to detail us with some humourous stories on people's reasons for not having their railcards?

I admit once, ONLY once, I was in Cardiff in February, raced to get my return to Maesteg Ewenny Road. Forgetting I'd left my Y-P at home that day (I had bought an adult CDR to Cardiff), I boarded the Maesteg service, then later realised my mistake. Thankfully the conductor never wanted to see my Y-P, otherwise I'd have been stuck.

But that's the ONLY time I've ever done that. It was purely a mistake from hammering the buttons on the Fastticket machine after the HST had taken 90 minutes or more due to defective brakes on what should have been a 52 minute trip. Thankfully the others were later arriving than planned, otherwise I'd not have made it. Still, it's not good to suddenly realise what happened on limited supplies of money.

FGWFan said:
91119, care to detail us with some humourous stories on people's reasons for not having their railcards?

I admit once, ONLY once, I was in Cardiff in February, raced to get my return to Maesteg Ewenny Road. Forgetting I'd left my Y-P at home that day (I had bought an adult CDR to Cardiff), I boarded the Maesteg service, then later realised my mistake. Thankfully the conductor never wanted to see my Y-P, otherwise I'd have been stuck.

But that's the ONLY time I've ever done that. It was purely a mistake from hammering the buttons on the Fastticket machine after the HST had taken 90 minutes or more due to defective brakes on what should have been a 52 minute trip. Thankfully the others were later arriving than planned, otherwise I'd not have made it. Still, it's not good to suddenly realise what happened on limited supplies of money.

91119 is a driver, dunno if he has had a past as a guard! I have seen excuses for not having railcards, most common is I left it at home or my mate has got it. No humerous one yet

ChrisM

I know a few Drivers/Guards and Platform staff who get hassle from people 'thinking' they know it all,they tend to just ignore them and walk away.

on the subject of trainspotters has anyone got the new issue of viz there some jobs on offer there for spotters on page 61 :D :D the pays pretty good as well now where did i leave my anorak :D

FGWFan said:
I haven't heard any humerous excuses yet, they mostly seem to be the same as the ones posted by Bonnie Prince Charlie. Also things like leaving it on the bus/tube/taxi. Sometimes they are genuine, internet bookings are always ones to look out for though as you don't need the railcard to book.

yorkie said:
I can't actually find such rules. There are means of buying tickets by avoiding a booking office (unfortunately this does not apply to Rovers, Rangers and tickets to start from an alternative destination) though, which would easily get round these 'rules' if they exist.

The rules for tickets relate to their use, not purchase, but there may well be hidden rules in the manuals that ATOC does not want us to see, such as the elusive 'Retail Manual'.
As a point of interest I checked this out with a COL friend of mine at KGX.

The official rule is as follows:

Section 4 P3/17
How to issue discounted tickets
Check that the railcard is valid (see 1 on p 3/15)
Check that their is at least one child in the group

Section 1 P3/15
Checking the validity of the railcard
Check that the railcard is in date
Check that the railcard has been issued correctly and has been signed by the holders

This is taken directly from a copy of the ATOC Ticket examiners handbook and National Routeing Guide. This is not available for public issue.

When checking signatures they should be compared with another form of the cardholders ID with the same name on, preferably with a photo. So if the ticket is to be issued properly, the cardholder's signature would need to be checked meaning they would have to be present.

The Retail manual is also not available for public issue, I'm told it contains information on computerised ticketing systems that could be compromised.

TheSlash

Established Member
Well, i know the answer to at least 1 question :oops:
Ding ding and away is the what the DRA {drivers reminder appliance} was created for.
Basically drivers were stopping in platforms with red signals at the end and if the guard forgot to check the signal before giving the RA, the driver instintively released the brake and applied power, thus passing the signal at danger.
The DRA is a switch in the electrical circuit operated by the drivers power controller. When placed in the on position, it basically stops the driver applying power.

I think i know the answer to two other questions but i'll check with Mr Royal Scot first :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.