• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Koln HBF to Berlin OST

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Good morning,

I may be travelling in November from London St.P. Via Bru/Koln to Berlin and staying in a hotel near the East/Ost Station. I did this last May and there were some direct ICE trains that I traveled on that Terminated and Started at Berlin OST Station without having the need to change en route which was fine.

However when I just looked at my European Timetable, May 2016 edition and also on DB website, it appears that all ICE trains from/to Koln only go as far as the main HBF, (Then I presume go ECS through OSTBHF to the sidings which I think are further east?) Does anyone know if that is now the case. I found boarding the through train on the way home at OST Bhf less rushed and hurried than it was at the HBF.

The trains would need to connect at BRU & KOLN. (Also are the ICE trains from Koln to BRU & VV, more reliable now, I had problems with sudden cancellations and long coach replacements last year and I don't think it was in connection with the strikes they kept having for a while.)

Tks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Quakkerillo

The 14:45 from Köln Hbf goes to Ostbahnhof, but it is an intercity and not an ICE. On Thursdays, also a 13:38 and 15:39, and on Fridays a 10.46 and 13.38, with no service on Weekends.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
ICEs which terminate at Berlin Hbf, Sudkreuz & Gesundbrunnen use Hbf underground platforms. ICEs which use the Stadtbahn (elevated tracks) terminate at Ostbahnhof

blackfive460

When I was in Germany in May, all Köln - Berlin ICEs appeared to be running through Berlin Hbf Tief, the underground platforms, and terminating at Gesundbrunnen rather than using the Stadbahn and terminating at the Ostbahnhof as was the case during previous visits.

I believe there has been long term engineering work somewhere on the Stadbahn this year which may have reduced capacity and that may be the reason for the change of terminating point.

I've always been a fan of joining long distance trains at their starting point if that's an option and I would guess that Gesundbrunnen will be quieter than the Hbf.

AlexNL

Established Member
As far as I know there is indeed engineering work on the Stadtbahn, but apart from that DB shifted long distance trains to the north-south link (through Hbf Tief) to free up capacity for more east-west regional services and to make better use of the tunnel.

Groningen

Established Member
if you go by Frankfurt than you arrive directly at Ostbahnhof, but are more 1 hour underway than via Hannover.

London 6.50
Brussel 10.07 - 10.25
Koeln 12.15 - 12.48
Berlin Hbf 17.06 - 17.15
Berlin Ost 17.24

London 6.50
Brussel 10.07 - 10.25
Frankfurt 13.30 - 14.13
Berlin Ost 18.37

Such a detour shall be more expensive than the direct train.

duesselmartin

Established Member
as there is a frequent S-Bahn service to from Hbf to Ostbahnhof, it makes more sense to take the Cologne-Berlin ICE, changing at B-Hbf.

Groningen

Established Member
S-Bahn trains between Berlin Hbf and Berlin Ost are so frequent, that you always have a connection. Even at 21 o'clock there are 20 trains (S and RB) an hour between the stations in each direction. There is however a height difference between arrival and departure in Berlin Hbf. So allow at least 5 to 10 minutes.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
When I was in Germany in May, all Köln - Berlin ICEs appeared to be running through Berlin Hbf Tief, the underground platforms, and terminating at Gesundbrunnen rather than using the Stadbahn and terminating at the Ostbahnhof as was the case during previous visits.

I believe there has been long term engineering work somewhere on the Stadbahn this year which may have reduced capacity and that may be the reason for the change of terminating point.

I've always been a fan of joining long distance trains at their starting point if that's an option and I would guess that Gesundbrunnen will be quieter than the Hbf.

Yes it would make sense about the engineering work.

I shall look into Gesundbrunnen for the return journey at least.

Last edited:

Quakkerillo

Gesundbrunnen is north-east of Hbf and Köln services aren't likely to start from there. They could use Suedkreuz but don't at the moment, so I presume they turn at Hbf tief. I think they may have saved a pair of ICE2s by doing that.

If you could just look up stuff before commenting. http://hafas.bene-system.com/bin/tr....06.16&station_evaId=8000207&station_type=dep
http://hafas.bene-system.com/bin/tr....06.16&station_evaId=8000207&station_type=dep

All going to Gesundbrunnen.

Veteran Member
Last edited:

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I looked up a journey for later this month from Koln to Berlin Gesundbrunnen and return and through ICEs did come up, although no stops wre shown at Berlin HBF out bound, but it does on the return as mentioned above. If it works out, I will be travelling this route in Nov or Dec, so will keep checking DB website, I expect it's too early to book for that period yet. The Trip has to be planned so it does not clash with footer games at Selhurt Park!

Groningen

Established Member
So Selhurst Park is Crystal Palace FC. In November you can maybe visit a game of Hertha BSC in Berlin. At the start of August the schedule is known. It also could be an Europian game! English: http://www.herthabsc.de/en/

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
So Selhurst Park is Crystal Palace FC. In November you can maybe visit a game of Hertha BSC in Berlin. At the start of August the schedule is known. It also could be an Europian game! English: http://www.herthabsc.de/en/

Yes, I think the chap who is planning the weekend in Berlin will aslo try to fit in a football match there, he did when we were in Koln last year for his wife's special birthday. When they were at the football match then, she and some of us went on a boat trip and visited the Lindt Chocolate museum/factory. No doubt something similar will happen in Berlin.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Checked a random date in November, and it still runs to Gesundbrunnen then with stops in Berlin Hbf. Same goes for the other ICE's to Berlin from Köln Hbf.

I'll be doing this trip later in the year.
What's the logic of reversing an ICE at Berlin Hbf and terminating it at Gesundbrunnen, which is a suburban node rather than a "destination"?
Is it just to avoid blocking platforms at Hbf, or is it on the way to a servicing depot or something?

Groningen

Established Member
So if the train is diverted to Gesundbrunnen, but want to go to Hbf; maybe than you have to change trains in Spandau already. Surely there will be a kind of busservice. With the S-Bahn how always need to change 1 time. Only the Stralsund - Wünsdorf-Waldstadt seems to be direct with 4 minutes traveltime. Maybe Hbf is totally blocked?!

Quakkerillo

Groningen, the trains go to Hbf from Spandau, and then back to Gesundbrunnen. Seems to just reverse, and in service.

AlexNL

Established Member
By reversing at Hauptbahnhof and going via Gesundbrunnen, you can easily reach the maintenance depots at Lichtenberg and Rummelsberg. If you were to continue south from Hbf, you can only get there by taking a huge detour over Schönefeld airport.

Groningen

Established Member
Hertha BSC at home in November 2016:
Hertha BSC - Borussia Mönchengladbach 05.11.
Hertha BSC - 1. FSV Mainz 05 26.11.

No games on November 12.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Hertha BSC at home in November 2016:
Hertha BSC - Borussia Mönchengladbach 05.11.
Hertha BSC - 1. FSV Mainz 05 26.11.

No games on November 12.

Thank you for the above match info.

Useful also to know about reversal from HBF to Gesundbrunnen & V.V. I shall have to try to sit backwards from Gesundbrunnen, so will then be forwards facing all the way from HBF to Koln.

Hophead

Established Member
Thank you for the above match info.

Useful also to know about reversal from HBF to Gesundbrunnen & V.V. I shall have to try to sit backwards from Gesundbrunnen, so will then be forwards facing all the way from HBF to Koln.

And don't forget that German trains drive on the right :)

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
And don't forget that German trains drive on the right :)

Thank you for that reminder too. It does not matter so much on that line which side I side, however I would make a point of sitting on the the Left hand side if I weer going on the classic Rhine Valley route south of Koln.

Status
Not open for further replies.