• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Kris' Travel Advice! [Trip Reports/Reviews]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristofferson

Kristofferson in “actually goes bashing” shocker!

“This Little Piggy Went To Gatwick”

With a social event in London this evening and a free schedule for most of the afternoon, I decide to head out on the rails early to see what all this 442 fuss is about. An iconic British EMU that broke the third-rail speed record must be worth a go, after all!

Some quick bag prep is done [does crisps, chocolate and squash count as a “packed lunch”?] and I grab an old-but-valid RTV [anyone remember the “Watford resignalling” mess?] off the side, before taking a rainy walk down to my local station. The booking office at Kings Langley is excellent – although only open sporadically - and there's no fuss getting hold of the necessary 16-25 Off-Peak Travelcard, 16-25 Off-Peak BZ6-Gatwick return and handing over the RTV.

I rock up at the platform and take some cover from the weather [Techniquest reports at the time that it's gorgeous sunshine up north...], taking a moment to ask Virgin Trains whether my last two required 390s for sight are out. The good news is that they are and, even better, should both pass my train in opposite directions just a few minutes after departure!

A dud 350 for sight rolls up [seen 'em all and I'm not really “into” haulage] and I grab an airline seat with the best view of the fast lines I can find! We pull away from the platform and, as we approach the Watford tunnels, I'm nervous that the 390s might pass us while we're in the tunnels or separated from the fasts by cuttings... Luckily, the fast lines soon emerge from behind the trees and we're soon overtaken by target #1 - 390 119 - on its way from Preston to Euston. One tick in the book, now where's 390 130?

I check RTT while we're in the platform and see that it's apparently still crawling its way out of Euston. Imagine my surprise when, just after leaving Watford, what seems to be 390 130 flies past us on its way up to Liverpool Lime Street! I take another look at RTT and sure enough, that was it.

Even if I don't board a 442 on this trip, clearing the 390s for sight is a huge success! As I currently only spot “local” trains and the other classes in my list - LM 350s, LM 321s & LM 319s - have already fallen, that just leaves me with 5 Virgin Super Voyagers to see before my “wants list” is clear... Maybe I'll move onto bashing after that's done ;)

I relax for the rest of the journey into Euston and soon spill out onto the platform with a mix of late commuters and daytrippers. Heading for the tube, I take a swift walk to the Victoria line and board a pretty much empty 2009 stock train headed for Brixton. I bail at Victoria and it's time to hunt down a “plastic pig”! Having just missed one, I wander to platform 14 [home to a “retro” platform indicator that wouldn't look out of place in Thunderbirds] and await the next service.

Wessex Electric 442 413 soon growls into the station and I get my first up-close look at this train. It's a properly industrial-looking machine with exposed cables and retro-futuristic wraparound class cab front, in a “1970s sci-fi” livery. Gerry Anderson would be proud!

qTDEE0s.jpg

Positioning myself at the motor coach, I board the standard class half of the carriage and I'm surprised by the interior – although it's unmistakably based on a mk3, this coach has a compartmentalised design which wouldn't look out of place on a bullet train. Very “international” indeed! The seats are incredibly comfortable [even more so when I take my backpack off!] and the “Priority Seat” I'm in has leg room that would put business class on a 747 to shame.

Now for the interesting part [or so I hope] – the noise. As we lurch out of the station [we nudge the coach in front, and the one behind gives us a shunt as it's yanked towards us], I hear the deep roar of the 442's DC motors - which is slightly disappointing compared to the racket a 323 or Electrostar makes, but very much suits the train. A grey sky greets us as the sun begins to set across south west London, and surprisingly good progress is made along the Brighton Main Line - compared to the stopper 377s I usually take to this part of town anyway! I'm also impressed by the ride quality on these bumpy and curvy lines, which feels more like a HST than a commuter EMU.

We slow up for a cruise through dull, Waitrose-laden, Surrey suburbia [if anyone can think of a more boring place to live, answers on a postcard please] before arrival at Gatwick Airport, where the auto-announcer shows off its impressive linguistic skills! I hop off the train here, dodge the airport travellers heading in the opposite direction, and grab a few photos of this legendary beast at the platform end...

A7Jd5De.jpg

Departure is in 15 minutes so, after a quick friendly exchange with the dispatcher [his knowing smile as he saw me taking photos suggests bashers are not uncommon on these trains!], I board the driving coach for a “push” journey back to Victoria. For a moment I feel like I've stepped onto a 444 – the interior of this carriage is so similar, one can tell these trains are the Desiro's spiritual predecessors! This time, I manage to get a table of 4 to myself as we're shunted away from the station.

Check out the comparison photos below – quite an interesting contrast between the motor and driving/trailer coaches.
fNSpFWD.jpg

As darkness falls, I enjoy the smooth & quiet ride back through suburbia [Redhill looks inviting, to be fair] and we briefly pause at Battersea Park, where I notice the *******isation of the power station is well underway. Arrival at Victoria is quick and easy, and I take one last brief glance at the 442 before heading for the concourse. A very happy basher after a successful trip, I think a McDonald's is well deserved!

BvykW39.jpg

A quick stop at the takeout counter is had and, tucking in to my dinner on the Wetherspoon terrace, I take a moment to think about the 442s and its legacy. It will be a shame to see them replaced by generic commuter-style Electrostars with uncomfortable seats and 1/3 doors, but I admit I am looking forward to seeing the preserved driving car at the NRM in a couple of years. Unlike most of the heritage stock there, I'll be able to sit in this one and reminisce about that time I took a trip on one on the mainline. Who knows, it may even be 442 413..!

Misty-eyed nostalgia and food dealt with, I have a couple of hours to kill until the social event near Charing Cross. As it's peak, my Travelcard isn't valid out of terminals - so trying out the 458/5s as a “thriller filler” is out of the question, and I don't fancy cramming onto the deep level tubes in the name of arriving at the pub early or going 221 hunting at Euston. The only sensible thing to do is take the slow, quiet, comfortable route to the pub via the Circle Line.

I take a seat on an S7 stock tube and switch off until Farringdon, where there's a 5 minute walk [good to get some fresh air!] to the venue and a pint or two with my name on it!

Thanks for reading all, I hope you enjoyed it :)

PS... If anyone's wondering, the total cost [excluding the social event pints of course] was £8.99. Considering an Oyster to Gatwick is £20 each way, this felt like a bargain bash ;)

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kristofferson

Cheers guys :)

I can't say I've ever looked it up, but my understanding was that there's no evening peak within the zones (allowing travel on the tube) *unless* the train you're on starts from a terminal in evening peak. It's pretty interesting to find out that I'm wrong - opens up some decent possibilities!

*edited for clarity

Last edited:

ac6000cw

Established Member
I like the writing style - a really fun read, and it sounds like you had good day out. Maybe I should have a last 442 ride before they come out of service (again) :)

Established Member
Nice move.
It's always good to see someone getting a run on a 442.
I love 'em :)
It's worth noting that the traction motors in 442s were originally in the mighty class 432 REPs and date from 1966.

Kristofferson

Thrilled you enjoyed the read of course :) here's to more time on the rails!

I thought the motors sounded different to the ones underneath the 321s. Can only imagine how vintage their design is... *heads to Wikipedia*

Established Member
Great read Kris, the Piggys and scratching tube stock seems to be all the rage at the minute, wih the Trips and Planning committee. Glad you got a chance to ride one too, certainly seems, that them Piggy's, got under the hairs of your chinny chin chin:oops::oops:. Sorry, I'll get my coat:lol::lol:

Last edited:

Established Member
I'm not.
Well, not any more :)
to be honest, given the chance I'm more than happy to have another run or two next time I'm down there.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I've had 12 of the 24 442s, but apart from fhe odd blip a few (well, nearly 6) years ago I've never really enjoyed the class!

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I've never had a 442 but this trip report (and many others) has made me really want to. I really like how you described it very well and included photos of the interior.

But I've got to say something. I don't think that you deserved a Mc Rancids. I think that you deserved something much better after that! Congrats on learning the 390s for sight too!

Kite159

Veteran Member
I've never had a 442 but this trip report (and many others) has made me really want to. I really like how you described it very well and included photos of the interior.

But I've got to say something. I don't think that you deserved a Mc Rancids. I think that you deserved something much better after that! Congrats on learning the 390s for sight too!

Put it on your to do list for the next time you are down in London, a BZ6 to Gatwick ticket (assuming you are on a paper travelcard) isn't that expensive with a railcard.

Kristofferson

I agree, it's only £3-something return :) if you don't, well, I'm glad the description was enough to give you an idea of what it's like to ride one - that's what I aim for!

Keith Jarrett

Every man and his dog seems to want to have one last bash on the Plastic Pigs before the vast bulk of them go - great thins and I wish that I could find more excuses to have one last bash. Checks diary - there's a 60th birthday celebration (ouch, that's another mate reached his "tugging" years) in Sussex in a few weeks. Might just have to pig it down there ....

See you made it to the Wetherspoons at Victoria. Regulars there know it as "up the escalator" - I could spend a week writing about the odd folk you see passing through that particular spoons. But the beer is normally excellent ....

Kristofferson

Yeah I used to work in that part of town, so used the terrace as a sneaky lunch (not bought from Spoons!) spot a few times.

hassaanhc

Established Member
Thrilled you enjoyed the read of course :) here's to more time on the rails!

I thought the motors sounded different to the ones underneath the 321s. Can only imagine how vintage their design is... *heads to Wikipedia*

Yet everyone forgets that the motors on the 455s are even older! <( :p They too sound different to the motors on the 321, and they are not as loud, and like the 442s they are very jerky when accelerating from stand (or when you stop accelerating) as the camshaft is not smooth at all.

Back to the 442s, one of the driving coaches and both intermediate trailers have the compressors, and I think you avoided that driving coach. The compressors seem to run for such a long time on these units, and it quickly gets annoying.

Kristofferson

Evening all :) Here's another of my (increasingly frequent) trip reports – this time the aim is some 68 haulage and a curry, my kind of night out!

Lord Norm's Cat Scratch Fever!

It's Tuesday morning and, with a social engagement in London booked for this evening, it's time to bring the idea that's been floating around my head for a while – trying out a Cat - to fruition. Waking up far too late and seeing miserable weather outside means time is tight and motivation is difficult to come by, but a plan is quickly hatched to place myself at Marylebone in time for the Banbury set [because droplights] and make it back to Kings Cross just in time for dinner...

A laundry list of shopping and housekeeping tasks are blitzed and a windswept walk is taken down the hill to my local station. As usual, RTVs are handed over at the ticket office and a freebie 16-25 Off-Peak Return to Beaconsfield [the Banbury Cat's first stop] is in my possession. Enduring a 20 minute fester in terrible weather [did I mention it was raining?] on a platform full of vaping college kids, this damn Cat better be worth it!

A 350 rolls into the station and I take a quiet seat at the furthest end of the train from the youths, jamming my earbuds in and sampling Nightcore for the first time [as recommended by #TechsMobileDisco!]. The first track is Summer Jam – the irony isn't lost on me as the Desiro slips and slides its way out of the platform. A bonus is had on this “mandatory move” as I spy 221 113 – only 4 Virgin Super Voyagers left for sight now to clear my current requirements!

Cutting short my usual trip to Euston, I bail at Harrow & Wealdstone for a Bakerloo 1972 Stock tube direct to Marylebone. I've offered my thoughts on this jerky, creaky, bumpy heritage stock before and, sitting on a sofa-like forward facing seat, my opinion hasn't changed – these trains are brilliant! Somewhere around Queens Park, I realise that Nightcore isn't really my cuppa tea, but stick with it anyway to pass the time!

Marylebone arrives after about half hour and – wow, this is different isn't it? Far smaller, more civilised and much easier on the eye than Euston, I wouldn't mind living somewhere on the Chiltern line for sure. I've got 50 minutes or so here [a later train would have made for a tight connection], so it's off to Boots for a sarnie and the Oyster machine to top up for later. It's not long before I see a DVT arriving at platform 3 and it's time to head out!

2pPrm9P.jpg

As 68 010 pushes the train into the arms of the waiting commuters, I take a moment to appreciate this awesome-looking diesel beast [as well as a couple of photos!] and the rake of BR Blue mk3s attached to it. This impressive high-tech machine with its futuristic lines seems to suit the heritage carriages – once again I'm reminded of Thunderbirds and its mix of retro and modern aesthetics. I'm joined on the platform end by two older bashers – I believe 010 was required for one of them, given his grin as the other guy took a photo of him next to it!

It's not long before the doors unlock and we claim our places near the droplights as the commuters file past. No doubt they found it difficult to understand why we were stood in the vestibule on an empty train! As the rain continues to pelt down, I poke my head out to hear the Cat's high-pitched roar into life. The sound is quickly followed by hissing and squealing from the carriages as the train starts to roll... until the engine whirrs down and we stop dead a few metres later. “He's not got the brakes stuck on, has he?” asks the basher at the other droplight. I hope not, or this adventure will be a damp squib indeed!

Platform assistants and fitters run to the front of the train and say the words “stuck” and “brakes” a few times as we make another 3 false starts, to the point where the front carriage is barely in the platform. “Looks like I'm not getting a 68 after all”, I remark as my companions curse the misfortune. The driver has one last go at pulling away... and success! I tuck my head back in as the noise begins – an industrial whine as the V16 revs up, followed by almighty thrash as the throttle is opened wider in the tunnels! The video below doesn't do it justice - you need to experience the immense noise that reverberates off the walls as it purrs along, and the heat and unmistakeable diesel engine smell that take me right back to heritage railway rides as a child. It's as good as steam haulage, this thing. Absolute “hellfire!” as the guy next to me enthused.

[youtube]-ZfN2T-ytfE[/youtube]
The successful start is at 2min 12secs :)

Surprisingly smooth for a loco hauled train, I enjoy the wind-in-the-hair ride as the Banbury Beast hammers out of London and into the Chiltern countryside. We're soon joined in the vestibule by a less-than-thrilled commuter, who insists we close the window as the broken [wide open] cabin door is making the rest of the carriage a bit chilly. We oblige and jokey accusations of “norms ruining the fun” ensue... before I crack the droplight open just a bit for some “fresh air”, hopefully without disturbing the seated passengers too much!

Beaconsfield arrives 20 minutes or so later and I bid my fellow enthusiasts farewell, before heading over to the London-bound platform to take some pics and video of the Cat as it departs (the speed limit means it isn't too thrashy, sadly). After a short wait, a 168 stopper rocks up and I grab a seat in the Networker's dirty diesel cousin. As expected, it's a harsh ride and the engines sound more like a diesel hatchback than a massive marine engine – I love big engines of any type though, so the ride back into town isn't too much of a hardship!

23o5Jps.jpg

I'm off the train about half hour later and on the Bakerloo to Baker Street [never joined a train here before – it's a stunning station!], followed by an S7 along the Circle to King's Cross for dinner. If you're only into trains and “Kris' Restaurant Reviews” aren't your thing, you can stop here as I'll be talking about the King's Cross area and its food establishments for the benefit of anyone who might be interested in stopping off in the area :)

IB8I2eh.jpg

First port of call upon arrival at KGX is the St Pancras terrace, where I'm hoping to see one of the new Class 374s - the Eurostar e320 Velaro. I'm not disappointed by the appearance of the sleek ICE-based train and a journey on one is going on my “to do” list! Satisfied with today's bash, I go for a relaxed walk through the regenerated King's Cross area – “gentrification” isn't everyone's bag, but the visual improvement made to the area is undeniable. Light sculptures [may have been part of that “Lumiere” thing, not sure], man made waterfalls, old warehouses turned into useable space again – it's all good news for the area, and the tourists haven't discovered it yet!

Dinner tonight is at Dishoom, where my companions have thankfully made their way through the entrance queue already and I join them in the bar of this unbookable Bombay-themed Indian. After a beer [£4.90 for a half, ouch!], it's upstairs for a filling meal of curry, rice, dahl and naan. Don't get me wrong, it tastes good - but my local curry house produces food of equal quality and is literally half the price! Personally, I won't be back as it's not worth the queue or cost.

Full of food and beer, the Northern Line's 1995 Stock takes me back to Euston and a slow crawl home on a Desiro is endured with the help of Nightcore once more [which I appreciated more after a couple of pints!]. Stepping in the door at home, I take a moment to reflect on value for money... As today's ticket was free, the bash itself only cost £1.50 - and that was for a sandwich. Including Oyster travel to and from the restaurant, the dinner part of the evening set me back the best part of 50 quid! Hmm...

Thanks for reading guys, hope you enjoyed it :)

Kris

Last edited:

Iskra

Established Member
Evening all :) Here's another of my (increasingly frequent) trip reports – this time the aim is some 68 haulage and a curry, my kind of night out!

Lord Norm's Cat Scratch Fever!

It's Tuesday morning and, with a social engagement in London booked for this evening, it's time to bring the idea that's been floating around my head for a while – trying out a Cat - to fruition. Waking up far too late and seeing miserable weather outside means time is tight and motivation is difficult to come by, but a plan is quickly hatched to place myself at Marylebone in time for the Banbury set [because droplights] and make it back to Kings Cross just in time for dinner...

A laundry list of shopping and housekeeping tasks are blitzed and a windswept walk is taken down the hill to my local station. As usual, RTVs are handed over at the ticket office and a freebie 16-25 Off-Peak Return to Beaconsfield [the Banbury Cat's first stop] is in my possession. Enduring a 20 minute fester in terrible weather [did I mention it was raining?] on a platform full of vaping college kids, this damn Cat better be worth it!

A 350 rolls into the station and I take a quiet seat at the furthest end of the train from the youths, jamming my earbuds in and sampling Nightcore for the first time [as recommended by #TechsMobileDisco!]. The first track is Summer Jam – the irony isn't lost on me as the Desiro slips and slides its way out of the platform. A bonus is had on this “mandatory move” as I spy 221 113 – only 4 Virgin Super Voyagers left for sight now to clear my current requirements!

Cutting short my usual trip to Euston, I bail at Harrow & Wealdstone for a Bakerloo 1972 Stock tube direct to Marylebone. I've offered my thoughts on this jerky, creaky, bumpy heritage stock before and, sitting on a sofa-like forward facing seat, my opinion hasn't changed – these trains are brilliant! Somewhere around Queens Park, I realise that Nightcore isn't really my cuppa tea, but stick with it anyway to pass the time!

Marylebone arrives after about half hour and – wow, this is different isn't it? Far smaller, more civilised and much easier on the eye than Euston, I wouldn't mind living somewhere on the Chiltern line for sure. I've got 50 minutes or so here [a later train would have made for a tight connection], so it's off to Boots for a sarnie and the Oyster machine to top up for later. It's not long before I see a DVT arriving at platform 3 and it's time to head out!

2pPrm9P.jpg

As 68 010 pushes the train into the arms of the waiting commuters, I take a moment to appreciate this awesome-looking diesel beast [as well as a couple of photos!] and the rake of BR Blue mk3s attached to it. This impressive high-tech machine with its futuristic lines seems to suit the heritage carriages – once again I'm reminded of Thunderbirds and its mix of retro and modern aesthetics. I'm joined on the platform end by two older bashers – I believe 010 was required for one of them, given his grin as the other guy took a photo of him next to it!

It's not long before the doors unlock and we claim our places near the droplights as the commuters file past. No doubt they found it difficult to understand why we were stood in the vestibule on an empty train! As the rain continues to pelt down, I poke my head out to hear the Cat's high-pitched roar into life. The sound is quickly followed by hissing and squealing from the carriages as the train starts to roll... until the engine whirrs down and we stop dead a few metres later. “He's not got the brakes stuck on, has he?” asks the basher at the other droplight. I hope not, or this adventure will be a damp squib indeed!

Platform assistants and fitters run to the front of the train and say the words “stuck” and “brakes” a few times as we make another 3 false starts, to the point where the front carriage is barely in the platform. “Looks like I'm not getting a 68 after all”, I remark as my companions curse the misfortune. The driver has one last go at pulling away... and success! I tuck my head back in as the noise begins – an industrial whine as the V16 revs up, followed by almighty thrash as the throttle is opened wider in the tunnels! The video below doesn't do it justice - you need to experience the immense noise that reverberates off the walls as it purrs along, and the heat and unmistakeable diesel engine smell that take me right back to heritage railway rides as a child. It's as good as steam haulage, this thing. Absolute “hellfire!” as the guy next to me enthused.

[youtube]-ZfN2T-ytfE[/youtube]
The successful start is at 2min 12secs :)

Surprisingly smooth for a loco hauled train, I enjoy the wind-in-the-hair ride as the Banbury Beast hammers out of London and into the Chiltern countryside. We're soon joined in the vestibule by a less-than-thrilled commuter, who insists we close the window as the broken [wide open] cabin door is making the rest of the carriage a bit chilly. We oblige and jokey accusations of “norms ruining the fun” ensue... before I crack the droplight open just a bit for some “fresh air”, hopefully without disturbing the seated passengers too much!

Beaconsfield arrives 20 minutes or so later and I bid my fellow enthusiasts farewell, before heading over to the London-bound platform to take some pics and video of the Cat as it departs (the speed limit means it isn't too thrashy, sadly). After a short wait, a 168 stopper rocks up and I grab a seat in the Networker's dirty diesel cousin. As expected, it's a harsh ride and the engines sound more like a diesel hatchback than a massive marine engine – I love big engines of any type though, so the ride back into town isn't too much of a hardship!

23o5Jps.jpg

I'm off the train about half hour later and on the Bakerloo to Baker Street [never joined a train here before – it's a stunning station!], followed by an S7 along the Circle to King's Cross for dinner. If you're only into trains and “Kris' Restaurant Reviews” aren't your thing, you can stop here as I'll be talking about the King's Cross area and its food establishments for the benefit of anyone who might be interested in stopping off in the area :)

IB8I2eh.jpg

First port of call upon arrival at KGX is the St Pancras terrace, where I'm hoping to see one of the new Class 374s - the Eurostar e320 Velaro. I'm not disappointed by the appearance of the sleek ICE-based train and a journey on one is going on my “to do” list! Satisfied with today's bash, I go for a relaxed walk through the regenerated King's Cross area – “gentrification” isn't everyone's bag, but the visual improvement made to the area is undeniable. Light sculptures [may have been part of that “Lumiere” thing, not sure], man made waterfalls, old warehouses turned into useable space again – it's all good news for the area, and the tourists haven't discovered it yet!

Dinner tonight is at Dishoom, where my companions have thankfully made their way through the entrance queue already and I join them in the bar of this unbookable Bombay-themed Indian. After a beer [£4.90 for a half, ouch!], it's upstairs for a filling meal of curry, rice, dahl and naan. Don't get me wrong, it tastes good - but my local curry house produces food of equal quality and is literally half the price! Personally, I won't be back as it's not worth the queue or cost.

Full of food and beer, the Northern Line's 1995 Stock takes me back to Euston and a slow crawl home on a Desiro is endured with the help of Nightcore once more [which I appreciated more after a couple of pints!]. Stepping in the door at home, I take a moment to reflect on value for money... As today's ticket was free, the bash itself only cost £1.50 - and that was for a sandwich. Including Oyster travel to and from the restaurant, the dinner part of the evening set me back the best part of 50 quid! Hmm...

Thanks for reading guys, hope you enjoyed it :)

Kris

Sounds like a great evening! Great report, keep them coming! ...I for one do appreciate the foody side of things- I don't think I'd be rushing back to that restaurant either to be honest. And ouch on that beer!

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Sounds like a brilliant evening out! You came close with the cat but I'm sure you and the other bashers were very glad to have it leave! As for the meal, it isn't a place that I'd want to visit (and not just because I don't really like curry).

Kristofferson

Cheers chaps, yeah it could have turned out to be a rubbish start to the evening (and even worse, I'd have had to actually pay for my ticket the second time round!).

You'll appreciate curry when you hit your 20s I reckon, Mr Fish ;)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Yes it's very much not a kid's thing is it curry? No offence intended Mr Quinn!

Another excellent read there good sir, and I appreciated the food bit as it's worth knowing for future reference. Ouch to the cost of the beer, and indeed the food cost! I can get a rather amazing lamb korma, keema nan, shish kebab, chutney tray and 2 poppodoms in my local Indian for around £11. So very much worth it! I only pay £3.95 for a pint of Kingfisher there too, so I certainly do better than you did!

Glad to hear you've joined the Cat Fan Club, I believe 55013 and 47403 are the club presidents and may wish to receive a membership fee! :lol:;)

Marylebone is nicer than Euston, definitely! I think Nightcore depends on what you like in the first place to be honest, if dance music of any sort isn't your thing then it's not for you.

I look forward to more from you soon, assuming you have any more RTVs to use up :lol:

Kristofferson

Aye glad you liked it Tech :)

Funny you should say that - an RTV arrived in the post the other day, and I have my sights on the Anglia 37s or Chiltern bubble car (remember my Trip Planning threads for those? They may finally be put into use!)

However I do start work next week, so time will become more limited again!

hassaanhc

Established Member

Funny you should say that - an RTV arrived in the post the other day, and I have my sights on the Anglia 37s or Chiltern bubble car (remember my Trip Planning threads for those? They may finally be put into use!)

I did the Anglia 37 set back in October. 1455 Norwich to Lowestoft, loads of time to get X1 bus up the coast to Great Yarmouth for 1817 back to Norwich. Then I came back to London on the triple 321s (1930 Norwich to London Liverpool Street) :lol:. What annoyed me the most was Great Yarmouth town centre closing around 1730, no chance of using facilities until the train.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Quite liked your trip to Beaconsfield :). Think I might try the same move to see what Class 68s are really like. I've only had one once, on the usual Birmingham sets, and because of a massive suitcase and preference for sitting facing forward I was at inner end of coach so didn't get to hear it properly. What I do like about DMUs is the ability to sit right above the engine, but maybe it is my bus enthusiast roots showing! :lol: Really like 168s, but for 165 it has to be a FGW one.

Techniquest

Veteran Member

In which case I wish you luck for next week! You've reminded me I have a claim form to chuck in for Friday, I must move it and get it done before I go back to work.

Any money says you'll get 121020 when you do your trip, as it's the one I need :lol:

Kristofferson

Cheers Hassan, yeah the 168 did remind me of being on a bus... The noise of a 68 is a whole different world!

Thank you sir Tech :)

Status
Not open for further replies.