• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

KWVR Gala 25-27 May 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
Yeah but i only got back into the hobby about 4 years ago :) So that is from 16 onwards, and only seriously in last few years.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Updated today, no timetable and as kwvr45 said not decided on ingrow shuttles yet.

Ingrow shuttles are likely to be D0226 / D2511 / 08266 alternating at various points over the weekend.

Timetables should be available, as always, about 4 weeks before the event (i.e. by the end of this month).

You can follow details on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/events/201189156660105/

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

12CSVT

Established Member
From past experience, I don't think you're likely to see all 3 shunters out the same weekend. Having attended nearly every KVWR diesel gala since 2000, I think I've only had 08266 for haulage once.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
From past experience, I don't think you're likely to see all 3 shunters out the same weekend. Having attended nearly every KVWR diesel gala since 2000, I think I've only had 08266 for haulage once.

Rarely ventures outside haworth yard due to poor tyres.

4SRKT

Established Member
I'm off all day Friday. Looking forward to it, especially if the weather holds up :)

sprinterguy

Established Member
I'll be there on the Friday, although unfortunately, as I'm starting my day from Birmingham, I can't get there as early as I would like without an inconveniently early start. Oh well, I'm sure I'll have a thoroughly enjoyable day, particularly if the weather holds up until then as 4SRKT says! :)

By the way, can anyone tell me if it will be possible to buy single tickets during the diesel gala? Or will only the day rover tickets be available for the gala?

4SRKT

Established Member
AFAIK you can buy any tickets that are normally available. The only tickets that aren't valid are members' free day rovers. At the last steam gala I just wanted to make one return trip (on the Coal Tank/Super D combo) and I was able to buy a members' discounted day return.

What train will you be starting on? YorkshireBear and I will be there for the 09:45 ex-KLY with 31466, and my mate who's travelling from Perth (!) that morning will be in Keighley in time for 31466 again on the 12:55.

sprinterguy

Established Member
I haven't got much in the way of a set itinerary of moves for this gala, but I was hoping to be at Keighley in time to make the 10:30 departure to Oxenhope, which I can manage if I catch the earlier train from New Street, but I'm not sure whether I am inclined to rise at a sufficiently early hour!

I'll probably plump for the 08:03 departure from New Street an hour later instead to get me up to Leeds and then on to Keighley via Northern, and while I don't have a pre-set plan you can bet that I'll be getting some haulage behind 37075 at some point during the day and would quite like to have a go behind the 31 as well. Winding up behind 31466 on the 12:55 Keighley - Oxenhope at some stage of its' travels seems likely.

Another given is that I will be found in command of a pint of ale at various points across the day, in a range of locations no doubt; I know that there was a thread fairly recently that covered pubs within easy reach of stations, but can anyone remind me of the best real ale haunts in the vicinity of the KWVR stations?

Last edited:

4SRKT

Established Member
The Fleece at Haworth, Volunteers and Boltmakers Arms at Keighley will do rightly. Plus of course the KWVR buffet. Stopping on the way home at the Junction at Shipley is also highly recommended.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I'm off all day Friday. Looking forward to it, especially if the weather holds up :)

The weather will hold up according to BBC, for the whole weekend! So anyone going it promises to be a good one.
Friend from perth! wow thats committed!

I haven't looked at an itinerary as such, but only thing of note is the 13:47 off keighley which is the 50 on express.

Also for anyone interested, 6201 princess elezibeth is passing through keighley at 11:54 on a railtour.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The Fleece at Haworth, Volunteers and Boltmakers Arms at Keighley will do rightly. Plus of course the KWVR buffet. Stopping on the way home at the Junction at Shipley is also highly recommended.

All very good pubs, the fleece is one of my favourites in the valley.

4SRKT

Established Member
My mate actually lives at Tod but is working at Perth the previous evening. He's doing the 07:03 off Perth and then via Glasgow and Lancaster.

I've got an itinerary planned that includes mucho class 50 action including the express. Plenty of class 33 too: I can pretend I'm back at Salisbury in the late '80s :)

YorkshireBear

Established Member
My mate actually lives at Tod but is working at Perth the previous evening. He's doing the 07:03 off Perth and then via Glasgow and Lancaster.

I've got an itinerary planned that includes mucho class 50 action including the express. Plenty of class 33 too: I can pretend I'm back at Salisbury in the late '80s :)
Lead the way then, my only plan was the class 50 express. What will shock you is, this will be the first time i have ever seen a 50 or 33 let alone rode behind one, and will be the first time ive seen a 31 that isn't network rail...

4SRKT

Established Member
You will NOT be disappointed is all I can say! Salisbury was far and away my favourite location. Every single train was 50,33 or DEMU. Only place that cane close for me was Belfast Central <sigh>

Established Member
If I can get up in time I will try for the 06:30 from the Cross so I can dust off the red pen straight away for 31466 (can't believe I have never had that, despite being extremely familiar with it in the mid 1990s through work :oops:)

4SRKT

Established Member
If I can get up in time I will try for the 06:30 from the Cross so I can dust off the red pen straight away for 31466 (can't believe I have never had that, despite being extremely familiar with it in the mid 1990s through work :oops:)

See you on the 08:56 Leeds > Skipton then.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Thanks a lot for the pub gen :) And I'm glad to hear that the usual range of tickets will be available: It's always slightly disappointing when I've attended galas and I can only really afford to make a short trip, but the only tickets they have available are gala day tickets at inflated prices: They're fine if you are intending to spend the vast majority of the day travelling back and forth, not so great if you only intend on making a single journey, though I suspect that I'll be making more than just the one trip in this case.

4SRKT

Established Member
Thanks a lot for the pub gen :) And I'm glad to hear that the usual range of tickets will be available: It's always slightly disappointing when I've attended galas and I can only really afford to make a short trip, but the only tickets they have available are gala day tickets at inflated prices: They're fine if you are intending to spend the vast majority of the day travelling back and forth, not so great if you only intend on making a single journey, though I suspect that I'll be making more than just the one trip in this case.

If you are a member you can make three return journeys at the reduced rate for less than the cost of the gala ticket. If you aren't a member you might as well buy the rover if you're going to make more than one journey.

Still, the KWVR is so short that I doubt you'll only be making one trip, even if you don't arrive till lunchtime. The beer on board the train is always good and reasonably priced so there's little need to stray far from the line in my experience (a quick pint in the Boltmakers, less than two mins walk from Keighley station, being the obvious exception).

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Disappointing that the 26 is not going to be there. Changes to work means I might get to pop down on Sunday, but might have to give this one a skip.

MattRobinson

I'm going to be there tomorrow. Excited- spending the day volunteering. Catching the 0725 ex Leeds, but I doubt anyone who isn't volunteering will be on that train :)

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Very keen that matt :) thats why im in civil :P earliest i have to catch train when volunteering is 08:56 :D

4SRKT

Established Member
Yes, it was rather spectacular and resulted in the cancellation of the 13:47 express to Oxenhope.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Fixable though they hope and be back out tommorow fingers crossed!

Cracking day though with 4SKRt and spinterguy

Status
Not open for further replies.