• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

KWVR Gala 25-27 May 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
Dear All,

Sorry for the lateness of the information this year, but I have been busy with various other Railway things, and work, and trying to fix my bus &c, so time has rushed by and the even is now creeping up quicker than I had hoped and noticed.

Anyway, I am pleased to confirm that the following locomotives will be in operation over the KWVR Diesel Gala Weekend on 25th - 27th May 2012.

Home Locomotives:

Class 20 - 20031
Class 25 - 25059
Class 37 - 37075 - making it's debut public runs with the new owners and at it's new home.

Visiting Locomotives:

Class 26 - 26038 - owned by Tom Clift. Making it's debut gala appearance and first principle runs in preservation - a long time since being withdrawn by British Rail 20 years ago!
Class 31 - 31466 - visiting from the Dean Forest Railway, making it's first visit away from that Railway since entering preservation.
Class 33 - D6515 (33012) - visiting from the Swanage Railway
Class 50 - 50026 - making its first runs in the North in preservation - first passenger runs for over 20 years at the Swanage Railway only 2 weeks earlier.

Trains will operate all day - finishing mid evening on Friday and late evening on Saturday.

Timetable and fares details will be published soon, but timetable and fares are expected to be very similar to last year.

All the above are subject to the usual caveats about locomotive availability, and in the case of 26038 and 50026, subject to the locomotives working satisfactorily during running in periods following overhaul.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Looks like a good haul, I've got the whole day available so will probably be getting a rover on the Sunday and spending the day on the line, weather dependent!

theblackwatch

Established Member
A Sunday visit is on the cards for me too - I last had 26038 as long ago as 1991 on Pathfinder's "Coal Scuttler" tour.

4SRKT

Established Member
Excellent! I had 26038 on a Carlisle > Glasgow passenger turn in the 1980s but not seen it since. I (((((heart))))) class 26s :)

AND NO B***DY DUFFS!!!! For the first time in a few years. Hallelujah! Good taste and decency reigns at last.

All day Friday for me!

Last edited:

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Excellent! I had 26038 on a Carlisle > Glasgow passenger turn in the 1980s but not seen it since. I (((((heart))))) class 26s :)

AND NO B***DY DUFFS!!!! For the first time in a few years. Hallelujah! Good taste and decency reigns at last.

All day Friday for me!

All day friday for me too!!!! Never seen a 26,31,33 or 50 before so im there!!!

4SRKT

Established Member

Youngsters. <shakes head>

Small Sulzers are the business! Basically a 26 is an underpowered 25 (same 6-cylinder engine as in class 24, but uprated in 25s and 27s), in a much more well-designed BRCW body. The 33 is basically the class 26 body with an 8-cylinder version of the engine, packing a lot of type 3 punch into such a small loco. The noise of all these small Sulzers is amazing, as Zontar put it, "like someone's dropped a brick into a cement mixer". Such a shame peaks and duffs sound so dull when they're from the same stable.

31s were utterly boring back in the day; everywhere in this part of the world and sounding like an anaemic 37. There was a great turn with them though, the 07:38 Hull > Carlisle and 16:35 return, which was booked a pair and 10 mk Is in summer. This used to make a hell of a noise storming up the Long Drag, especially in the cuttings north of Settle. I'm looking forward to hearing one of these underpowered brutes making a meal of the bank out of Keighley.

JamesHorrell

I have too never seen any of the classes coming to this gaa but i'm glad tehy are due to this beeing my first diesel gala i will be able to work as i'm 16 on the 23rd of may and prob be working all three days with my mate. :)

Anon Mouse

Established Member
Any Shunter Shuttles running too?

If The Boss allows it I might have a trip, I trust there will be some fine ales in the buffet too!

Sounds like a fantastic line up, the 26 sounds a good prospect!

electra27000

Looks a good line up - the 37 will keep the missus happy and most of the visiting locos are winners for me :D

Will there be an Ingrow shuttle, this year, and is there any chance of either the 101 or the 108 on it, if there is?

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

If The Boss allows it I might have a trip, I trust there will be some fine ales in the buffet too!

Guess I've been lucky - the "boss" likes the galas, too :)

Last edited:

TGVDUDE

although im doing swanage, and hope to see 038 at Barry with some luck, id love to head to keighley, after missing the previous two years, but I'll see how it goes! Theres a DFR gala the week after swanage so may be the last chance to get 466 before its travels!

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Youngsters. <shakes head>

Small Sulzers are the business! Basically a 26 is an underpowered 25 (same 6-cylinder engine as in class 24, but uprated in 25s and 27s), in a much more well-designed BRCW body. The 33 is basically the class 26 body with an 8-cylinder version of the engine, packing a lot of type 3 punch into such a small loco. The noise of all these small Sulzers is amazing, as Zontar put it, "like someone's dropped a brick into a cement mixer". Such a shame peaks and duffs sound so dull when they're from the same stable.

31s were utterly boring back in the day; everywhere in this part of the world and sounding like an anaemic 37. There was a great turn with them though, the 07:38 Hull > Carlisle and 16:35 return, which was booked a pair and 10 mk Is in summer. This used to make a hell of a noise storming up the Long Drag, especially in the cuttings north of Settle. I'm looking forward to hearing one of these underpowered brutes making a meal of the bank out of Keighley.

I blame my parents for waiting so long to have me!

Nice, well i love our 25 and indeed loved the double headed 25s last year so ill definitely be there!

Might see you about on the friday.

The DMU(s) are usually out on the, quiter, sunday. Im not sure how close the 101 is to being finished, and i too hope the shuttles are still there.

JamesHorrell

I blame my parents for waiting so long to have me!

Nice, well i love our 25 and indeed loved the double headed 25s last year so ill definitely be there!

The DMU(s) are usually out on the, quiter, sunday. Im not sure how close the 101 is to being finished, and i too hope the shuttles are still there.

When i asked last time on the kwvr facebook page they said a couple of months to finish.

4SRKT

Established Member

Maybe. I'm planning to get the 09:02 off Shipley (08:49 Leeds > Carlisle) as it fits with me taking my boys to school and gets me to Kly nice and early for the action!

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Maybe. I'm planning to get the 09:02 off Shipley (08:49 Leeds > Carlisle) as it fits with me taking my boys to school and gets me to Kly nice and early for the action!

That will most likely be the one i start on too :) that and the 08:56 are my regulars to keighley when volunteering

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
I haven't decided what to do with the shuttle yet. There will be one, but I haven't decided what to use on it yet. I will of course keep everyone posted when I finalise it.

electra27000

I haven't decided what to do with the shuttle yet. There will be one, but I haven't decided what to use on it yet. I will of course keep everyone posted when I finalise it.

Whatever's decided, you've got two guaranteed rover ticket sales in mine and the good lady's :D

4SRKT

Established Member
Anyone got any idea when the gen and timetables will be up on the KWVR website? Details on this event haven't been updated since 30th November!

sprinterguy

Established Member
The mind boggles :shock::lol: I'm "only" 22, but off the top of my head I've had haulage from at least two of those classes (26 and 50). And even as little as eight or so years ago (I can't believe that eight years ago now means 2004!) there was plenty of main line class 31 and 33 action, with Fragonset operating a few 33s and plenty of 31s and DRS also having a handful of 33s at the time (Who would ever have thought in the eighties that there would one day be 33s working out of Kingmoor?!). Plus thanks to Network Rail there are still a fair number of 31s out and about on test trains for the time being.

I agree with 4SRKT that the small Sulzers are cracking little things. I'm particularly fond of the 26s and 27s because of their strong ties with the West Highland and North Highland lines, with which they were synonymous in the seventies.

I've been looking to make it up to the KWVR since late last year, but unfortunately my plans always seem to run afoul of more pressing priorities. With nothing so far planned for the diesel gala weekend, this might finally be my opportunity to do so :D

Established Member
Might as well - we all had a good day out yesterday on the 20 and kettles, although the hill up to the pubs in Haworth is steep, very steep.

4SRKT

Established Member
Might as well - we all had a good day out yesterday on the 20 and kettles, although the hill up to the pubs in Haworth is steep, very steep.

OK coming back to the station though :)

Established Member
OK coming back to the station though :)

Oh aye, glad there wasn't any snow around yesterday as I'd be rolling back down the hill (that is, if I had made it up with hardly any grip on my trainers).

TGVDUDE

why was the 20 out? I recall back in December 2010 when I visited the 20 topped a steamer all day because of a frozen water tower! Fire Service were brought in a Keighley to fill the Steamer for train heat, had a nice unexpected day with the 20!

theblackwatch

Established Member
why was the 20 out? I recall back in December 2010 when I visited the 20 topped a steamer all day because of a frozen water tower! Fire Service were brought in a Keighley to fill the Steamer for train heat, had a nice unexpected day with the 20!

The 20 was booked to be out on the first 2 trips of the day, the KWVR has regularly used diesels in the morning on Bank Holidays for the past 15-20 years. It should be out tomorrow and Monday, so I'll be going for it again in the morning.

JamesHorrell

Also 20 031 Runs on the first Pullman Train with 80002 as thats what happeneds on friday and yesterday.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Aye, I was really disappointed that I couldn't come along to the meet on the 6th, as I'd only just arrived in Sunderland for a few days and it seemed a bit perverse to backtrack on myself to get to the KWVR! I really enjoyed last years' easter pubcrawl in York and as I say, I've been looking for an excuse to get over to the KWVR for a while now.

If I do come along for the diesel gala then I'll probably be spending more time in the pubs than on the trains (which is fairly usual for me!), although the joy of preserved railways that serve real ale on board is that you don't have to choose between one or the other! :D

YorkshireBear

Established Member
The mind boggles :shock::lol: I'm "only" 22, but off the top of my head I've had haulage from at least two of those classes (26 and 50). And even as little as eight or so years ago (I can't believe that eight years ago now means 2004!) there was plenty of main line class 31 and 33 action, with Fragonset operating a few 33s and plenty of 31s and DRS also having a handful of 33s at the time (Who would ever have thought in the eighties that there would one day be 33s working out of Kingmoor?!). Plus thanks to Network Rail there are still a fair number of 31s out and about on test trains for the time being.

I agree with 4SRKT that the small Sulzers are cracking little things. I'm particularly fond of the 26s and 27s because of their strong ties with the West Highland and North Highland lines, with which they were synonymous in the seventies.

I've been looking to make it up to the KWVR since late last year, but unfortunately my plans always seem to run afoul of more pressing priorities. With nothing so far planned for the diesel gala weekend, this might finally be my opportunity to do so :D

Yeah but i only got back into the hobby about 4 years ago :) So that is from 16 onwards, and only seriously in last few years.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Anyone got any idea when the gen and timetables will be up on the KWVR website? Details on this event haven't been updated since 30th November!

Updated today, no timetable and as kwvr45 said not decided on ingrow shuttles yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.