• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Kyoto Railway Museum visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Three-Nine

Thought some of you may wish to view my impressions of a recent visit to Kyoto Railway Museum in Japan.

Kyoto Railway Museum:

Recently heavily renovated and expanded, Kyoto Railway Museum is a relatively short distance from Kyoto Station (a tourist attraction in it own right). Several bus routes will take you there, or its a roughly 20 minute walk from Kyoto station. If going by foot, you may wish to take a slightly indirect route and pass through the attractive Umekoji Park on the way; there you will find a couple of preserved tram cars which now appear to be being used as a cafe.

The museum is open from 1000 - 1730 (last entry 1700) and admission costs 1,200 yen (approx £8). In common with many businesses in Japan, the museum may close on certain days of the year and also every Wednesday.

I arrived about half an hour before opening time and there was already a queue, which extended pretty far by back the time the doors opened, The queue did seem to move quite quickly once admission was granted though. The line included many families with young children, so bear that in mind if thats an annoyance for you! (I have since found out my visit coincided with a spring school holiday, so that probably explains it!). Tickets are obtained from an easy-to-use vending machine.

There is a sheltered area before the main hall housing various display trains including a Type 0 shinkansen and a locomotive that hauled the famous “Cassiopeia” sleeper service. It is also one of the very few times you’ll be able to board a local Japanese commuter carriage completely alone! Note that although a few trains are able to be boarded most of the exhibits are viewable from the outside only, in order to preserve them in good condition.

The main hall features many exhibits, from displays of the history of railways both internationally and in Japan, a few steam locomotives, various Japanese diesel and electric locomotives through the ages and a couple of shinkansen, including the striking Type 500 “EVA” (decorated in a livery inspired by a popular animated TV series), models and assorted Japanese railway memorabilia. There is also a recreation of a traditional small Japanese ticket office and sweets kiosk.

English descriptions are provided for most exhibits, but these tended to be rather short one sentence affairs - Japanese readers will probably enjoy much more detail!

One thing that stood out are the many interactive displays, much enjoyed by the younger visitors. These included a working demonstration of a set of points and even a fully operational level crossing! (fortunately, with no active road or rail traffic).

Upstairs on the second floor there are various exhibits covering the function and impact of railways on Japanese society and culture and displays of the technology involved - I was even able to “book” a reservation using a demonstration of “MARS”, the Japanese equivalent of Journey Planner. I was unable to try the train driving simulators; due to high demand these are operated on a “lottery” system, but if you do win a slot to have a go, you can indulge your fantasies and dress up as a Japanese train driver if you so desire!

There are also more attractions for children here , including a couple of model railway layouts of the Tomy-kind they can play with; though on that note for children of all ages there are at set times a model train display involving a very large diorama, covering many aspects of Japanese rail operations. Its likely that nowhere else these days you will see shinkansen Types 0, 100, 500 “EVA” and the Japan Railways track testing shinkansen “Doctor Yellow” all lined up together (even if its at N scale!).

There is also a restaurant on this floor, though whilst I was there it was very busy. Food is ordered in a typically Japanese fashion, by obtaining a ticket from a vending machine which is then handed over at the counter. You will then be given a remote device that will alert you when your food is ready to collect! Several tables have a view over the tracks leading to Kyoto station but these were naturally the most popular spots.

As an alternative for the hungry, back on the lower floor one can buy an “Eki-bento” - a traditional Japanese lunch box of the kind often sold at railway stations. Dexterity with chopsticks may help here though...!

On the third floor, there is a reference library (which I didn’t visit) and an outside viewing area with excellent views over the approaches to Kyoto station, where one can see local, express and shinkansen super express services passing - there is even a video display showing the relevant signal sections for early warning.

Returning to the lowest floor, one can also access the steam locomotive exhibit area. This area includes a turntable and several large preserved Japanese steam locomotives. For a small additional fee it is possible to take a short ride on one of these trains, lasting about 15 minutes. The track goes past the aforementioned Umekoji Park on one side and the various tracks to Kyoto station on the other. Its often said that Japan is a land of contrasts but I don’t think I’ve ever felt it more than when proceeding at walking pace at the rear of a steam locomotive, being showered with falling cherry blossom leaves, whilst being overtaken at rather higher velocities by sleek Type 700 shinkansen!

From the steam sheds, one can leave the museum but not before passing through the gift shop, where one can buy all manner of railway related souvenirs from sweets to keyrings to (of course) toy trains and also plush toys of the museums mascot character, Umetetsu the swallow. Again, when I visited the gift shop was very busy and the aisles are a little on the cramped side. In addition to the museums selection, those looking for model trains can visit Yodabashi Camera just across from Kyoto station, which has a large selection of railway modeling goods - including the smallest scale model figures you’ll likely ever see!

If you are interested in Japanese railway operations, then this museum is a must-see if you’re in Kyoto.You should expect to spend up to four hours or so there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.