• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Labour to reduce rail fares by a third"

Status
Not open for further replies.

geoffk

Established Member
Labour has announced plans to reduce rail fares by a third and simplify ticket prices for part-time workers if it wins the upcoming election. The party also wants to make train travel free for young people under the age of 16.

Such a policy could only be applied to regulated fares, which include most standard and saver return fares, as well as weekly season tickets and off-peak fares between major cities. They make up about 45% of all fares.

Apart from the obvious argument that many trains can’t accommodate any more passengers and that extra money would have to be found from somewhere, what are the main implications for unregulated fares? I would guess that operators would respond by increasing them.

The need for part-time workers to be recognised in season ticket pricing has come up before, but I'm not sure about teenagers riding around for nothing!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aictos

Established Member
Got to ask but where do you find the people who come up with such stupid ill thought policies?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Got to ask but where do you find the people who come up with such stupid ill thought policies?
They are clever headline-grabbing snippets with little substance. It doesn't matter though, as plenty of pledges conveniently fall by the wayside once an election is won.

Clever as headlines go, but then it speaks volumes of the electorate if they fall for it.

Journeyman

Established Member
Labour has announced plans to reduce rail fares by a third and simplify ticket prices for part-time workers if it wins the upcoming election. The party also wants to make train travel free for young people under the age of 16.

Such a policy could only be applied to regulated fares, which include most standard and saver return fares, as well as weekly season tickets and off-peak fares between major cities. They make up about 45% of all fares.

Apart from the obvious argument that many trains can’t accommodate any more passengers and that extra money would have to be found from somewhere, what are the main implications for unregulated fares? I would guess that operators would respond by increasing them.

The need for part-time workers to be recognised in season ticket pricing has come up before, but I'm not sure about teenagers riding around for nothing!

I suspect you'd see advance tickets disappear, which would mean the current ability of TOCs to sell empty seats cheap, and regulate demand and capacity, would disappear.

Much as I hate the current government, I despair at the complete idiocy coming out of Labour at the moment.

geoffk

Established Member
If Labour had just said they would stop the January increase that would have been a more realistic offer.

Journeyman

Established Member
If Labour had just said they would stop the January increase that would have been a more realistic offer.

Yeah, a freeze for a few years would be enough to make fares start feeling cheaper after a while.

It's all theoretical, anyway. I very much doubt Corbyn will be PM in two weeks' time.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
I'm sure I heard Corbyn say that if Labour get in, we'll all get a free annual First Class All Line Rover.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The best thing they could do would be to end the policy of driving down overall subsidy and stabilize the proportion of railway costs paid by subsidy, as opposed to fare revenue. This policy has been at the route of unacceptable rises in recent years.

AM9

Veteran Member
They are clever headline-grabbing snippets with little substance. It doesn't matter though, as plenty of pledges conveniently fall by the wayside once an election is won.

Clever as headlines go, but then it speaks volumes of the electorate if they fall for it.
But nobody will ever know what the electorate voted for each party for, - in the case of Labour: cheaper rail travel, free broadband, second referendum, free school meals, increased NHS funding and of course a whole lot of non-support for competing parties' pledges.

robbeech

Established Member
I'm sure I heard Corbyn say that if Labour get in, we'll all get a free annual First Class All Line Rover.

With a free holiday in the south of France thrown in for good measure? unless you earn an above average wage in your job though of course.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Pigs will suddenly sprout wings and fly
and other stupid things you can tell yourself

Volume 683542647391245097636452986025xInfinty
2019 Edition

Yeah, this is laughable at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.