• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lack of Crewe-Galashiels fares

Status
Not open for further replies.

burns20

Trying to book the following journey;

1309 Crewe to Galashiels changing at Edinburgh Waverley - No Fares Available

I can get advances for Crewe to Newcraighall

I can get an Anytie single for Crewe to Shawfair

But nothing beyond Shawfair.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

crehld

Established Member
It appears someone forgot to add those fares to the database. Woops!

http://www.brfares.com/#!fares?orig=CRE&dest=GAL

Perhaps one of the industry folk who lurk on the forum will see this thread and put it right. Might also be worth contacting Virgin Trains customer service who'll probably alert the pricing manager there.

kieron

Established Member
brfares doesn't bring up any walk-up fares to Galashiels from a lot of stations in the area. You can get them starting from Norton Bridge, though.

Established Member
It appears someone forgot to add those fares to the database. Woops!

http://www.brfares.com/#!fares?orig=CRE&dest=GAL

Perhaps one of the industry folk who lurk on the forum will see this thread and put it right. Might also be worth contacting Virgin Trains customer service who'll probably alert the pricing manager there.
And hopefully they'll eff it up Scotrail style and £1 anytime day single fares will start being sold!

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
You could always turn up at the booking office on the day and see what they say :p

Gareth Marston

Established Member
You could always turn up at the booking office on the day and see what they say :p

My STAR machine has not got any fares to Galashiels on the Anywhere to Anywhere screen from south of Wigan NW (Cheshire, N and Mid Wales, Shropshire etc) however in Journey Planner Galashiels does come up.

Further info- I can't see any AP Fares to Galashiels using VTWC.

Last edited:

RJ

Established Member

There are fares to certain stations from where I work which are regularly been requested by customers, but haven't made it into the system to be sold.

I check the fares from the stations either side of the one I'm at (which mysteriously has missing fares) and override the origin for whichever is cheaper. Some clerks might split tickets, whilst others might issue one from a nearby station that would cover the journey - but this is often more expensive than it needs to be.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
There is no fare to Galashiels from Nantwich, Alsager, Sandbach or Winsford. Perhaps this is to be expected as these are all clustered with Crewe for tickets to Edinburgh.

And if one tried Stafford to Galashiels they would be dissappointed. This is only available via York! :p

This is not hugely surprising. I have been complaining to TransPennine Express since the Borders Railway opened that they haven't input a fare from Manchester to Galashiels via Carlisle and they still haven't done anything about it. VT haven't fixed this from Preston or any other WCML station, only (very very very expensive) GR fares are available to the Borders Railway. A fare was added later for Carlisle to Galashiels, which is ironic because a single is a whopping £60.70 vs about £6 on the bus - and they take a similar amount of time.

Last edited:

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Just from a quick look there also appears to be a lack of a Newton-Le-Willows to anywhere on the Borders Line apart from Eskbank where oddly enough there is route VIA CARLISLE flow.
Sam

Last edited:

burns20

From Virgin;

Morning Dan,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

Sadly we seem to have missed setting up fares to the Borders Line where we are Lead Operator (from Crewe etc.). I have added them to our Advance cluster structure, so Advance fares will show by the end of the week.

However, the walk-up fares will not be available until the May Fares Setting Round.

Status
Not open for further replies.