Lack of evening trains with 1st class from London Bridge

Discussion in 'Trip Planning & Reports' started by GodAtum, 12 May 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GodAtum

GodAtum Established Member

I was checking fast trains to East Croydon on the NR website and only 1 out of 4 has 1st class :o

2227 - no
    2238 - yes
    2242 - no
    2256 - no

2. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

As the purpose of First Class on South East commuter services is to ensure a seat, and at those times I imagine things aren't exactly full and standing, I don't see a massive issue :)

3. GodAtum

Actually it does get very very busy. I was on a class 171 around a similar time last year and it was full and standing.

4. causton

causton Established Member

What a non-story. I am sure one train out of four is more than enough for all the people with first class tickets coming back at that time!

5. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

Work - Fenny Stratford(MK) Home - Darlington
    My goodness what a terrible situation. How will people survive having to travel such long distances with the scum in cattle class? Perhaps you should contact your MP.............

:roll:

6. Bishopstone

Bishopstone Member

London Bridge doesn't get much non-Metro stuff beyond the shoulder peak. Just the Horshams and Uckfields from memory, isn't it?

7. Abpj17

Abpj17 Member

A sample of one train on that line may not be representative - given the commonality of delays which can cause congestion etc.

8. tsr

tsr Established Member

The 171-worked trains do always seem to get very busy - presumably because they look a bit longer and more impressive but are generally no more than 4 coaches long in the late evening period. If they're going to Uckfield, First is enforced - if just to East Croydon, most likely not, even if it might in theory be in the timetable. FWIW, a number of people get so confused about whether First is formally declassified or not on anything other than a 455, that it probably has just the same number of passengers as if it was enforceable.

There are a few First Class ticketholders to be found on those trains where it is enforced/not declassified, but, as above, demand is only really there on medium-distance journeys, and even then it really is very limited. You'll sadly be likely to find more fare dodgers or unsuspecting Oyster users in there, until they get chucked out (if that happens) which usually would not be until the train passes Sydenham anyway.

For such a short journey, I really would not worry about buying a First Class ticket. Save money and hop into Standard. No point getting worried about which trains have First Class or not.

Last edited: 13 May 2015
  9. GodAtum

I have a 1st class ticket already so would like to get my moneys worth.

10. Starmill

Starmill Established Member

Well you say that, but if there is an authorised collector onboard one day...

11. tsr

tsr Established Member

...that will be a rare event, but they may exercise a certain amount of discretionary leniency, as:
    a) The service is wholly within the Southern Metro area where such a service would usually have First Class declassified
    b) First Class is declassified on some London Bridge-East Croydon services operated by 171s but not others, but no distinction is made by means of signage, announcements or any materials clearly at hand for most passengers
    c) RPIs with whom I have (amicably) discussed this are of the opinion that it is not clear even to them what an appropriate level of enforcement is

However, the above will not be the views of all Southern employees, and you should not rely on that, especially if you know First Class is enforceable. As, every 171 operated by Southern has a guard when in passenger service, it would be best to ask them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.