• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lack of Virgin Advance Tickets 29th December

Status
Not open for further replies.

phil35

Hi all, I'm wanting to travel from Manchester to Milton Keynes on Saturday 29th Decemeber, returning on the 6th January. I've been checking over the last few weeks to make sure I get in there first and grab some cheap advances. I've checked again today, and advances for the 6th are now available but not for the 29th Decemember.

I assume this is because it is close to new year and they are expecting it to be busy, but do you have any idea when, if at all, they might become available for the 29th?

As an aside, for the return journey on the 6th, all trains except two early ones in the morning are priced at £12.85 (inc. YP Railcard discount), but the lowest band is £6.60 (I've purchased these tickets at £6.60 before too, such a great price!). Does anyone have any idea (based on previous experience with Virgin maybe?) whether a new batch of the lower prices £6.60 tickets will be released at a later date, or should I play it safe and purchase the £12.85 ticket now?

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
If Advance tickets are already available on that route on that day, then no cheaper ones will be released I'm afraid.

dzug2

I assume this is because it is close to new year and they are expecting it to be busy, but do you have any idea when, if at all, they might become available for the 29th?

Thanks.

No it's because it's a weekend and weekend tickets are often released separately from and independently of weekday ones.

Sorry no idea when - I have a feeling there is fairly massive engineering work going on.

Simon11

Established Member
Buy your ticket for the 6th as they will only become more expensive.

I would bet on the train service not yet being agreed on the 29th due to major engineering works. As they don't know when the trains are running, they won't be able to sell advance tickets. Alternativly there may not be any train service, just replacement buses.

wintonian

Established Member
Buy your ticket for the 6th as they will only become more expensive.

I would bet on the train service not yet being agreed on the 29th due to major engineering works. As they don't know when the trains are running, they won't be able to sell advance tickets. Alternativly there may not be any train service, just replacement buses.

It seems to me that tickets around Xmas do sometimes get release later than normal due to the opportunity the close down gives for digging up the track etc. which takes and involves more planning than usual.

Lee_Again

I think Milton Keynes is 'closed' on the 29th. There is major work going on at Bletchley with trains either replaced by busses or diverted via other routes. The Virgin website will have more details but if you can avoid the area completely. What trains may run will be rammed.

If you must get a train consider Bedford on the MML. You can still return from Milton Keynes.

Established Member
Virgin Trains reservations for Saturday 29 December, Sunday 30 December, Tuesday 1 and Friday 4 January are hoping to open by 17 October.

phil35

Virgin Trains reservations for Saturday 29 December, Sunday 30 December, Tuesday 1 and Friday 4 January are hoping to open by 17 October.

I'll be sure to check back tomorrow then, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.