• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lakeside & Haverthwaite Fairburn tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexl92

Established Member
It’s been said a couple of times on here that the pair of LMS 2-6-4Ts on the Lakeside & Haverthwaite railway are probably oversized and over-powered for their home line, given that it’s a slow, relatively short journey.

It occurred to me though that over the last 5-8 years since I started taking an active interest in the railway preservation sector, I can think of maybe one occasion where one of the tanks has been loaned to another line for a visit. Is there any reason why they don’t often travel, when they’d probably be well suited to a number of different heritage lines?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SeanG

I presume that the lack of rail connection to the L&HR may be a factor?

swanhill41

I believe it is not a preserved line as such,but a privately owned line in the ownership of what was two brothers,now one as one died recently....Therefore their outlook is based on bottom line more than a preserved line...The line has a limited choice of locos since the FRS ,owner of Furness No 20 and other locos,were evicted and they went to RSR @ Preston Docks...

alexl92

Established Member
Perhaps the more isolated nature of this line makes getting the locos in and out hard and expensive

I did wonder about that. The Haverthwaite yard has easy access for a truck but I guess the roads aren’t so ideal.

I believe it is not a preserved line as such,but a privately owned line in the ownership of what was two brothers,now one as one died recently....Therefore their outlook is based on bottom line more than a preserved line...The line has a limited choice of locos since the FRS ,owner of Furness No 20 and other locos,were evicted and they went to RSR @ Preston Docks...

Interesting. Why were they evicted? The LMS Ivatt 2MT that’s currently in BR red arrived recently tho.
Given that their industrials are more than adequate for their services, you’d have thought that the Fairburn would represent an opportunity to earn some decent hire fees with gala appearances etc

swanhill41

Eviction...The Furness Railway Trust is a society/group that has morphed over the years into a group that has a small number of working locos GWR 5643,Furness No 20,Cambria WD 0-6-0T and Hall class loco,which is being rebuilt from a wreck...Also have a few other items,a coach and guards van I think....This did not fit in with the tourist line image that the Mather brothers wanted...It is ironic the likes of Alan Middleton of FRT ,was one of the original instigaors of the line in late 1960's early 70's post Carnforth….The move by FRT to the Ribble Steam in Preston has meant the building of a new workshop which along with the RSR's complex has produced a very good base of rail engineering,which is very underated in the preservation circles...Its also rail connected to NR at Preston station.
The Mickey Mouse mentioned,belongs to the Beet family of Carnforth fame,ie Dr Peter Beet ,who die a few years back....It had been kept under cover in the museum at Ribble Steam,but I believe they have decided to resurrect it...Can't remember details,but was taken last year to Hatherwaite

big all

On Moderation
lakeside and haverthwait wow
brings back memories
when i was perhaps 12 or 13 maybe 14 66-68
as a family with my dad as a then haymarket fireman took us to the camping coaches at hest bank where we spent many an hour train spotting on the footbridge or platforms watching bleep bleeps double headed [50s]
we where approach by a couple off older lads [men ] who where genuine to me and my brother who offered to show us there substantial model railway in the basement from memory in there house on or near the canal and within conversation where keen to take us to the lake side and haverthwait but possibly a project not yet functioning which they did and seemed very keen
now time scale may be a year or so different and actual memories may be confused as we went to hest bank at least twice
but these 2 men[older boys] seemed so keen i wonder if they where the same

LWB

No. Preston based, at least one of them. The other nearer Milnethorpe(yish)

IanH440

I had many happy years involved with the L&HR in the early years...Summer hoilidays from School were spent either manning the gift shop coach (BG) in the carpark and then having a footplate ride on the last train or later on being Guard-TTI -Ticket sales at Lakside as well as working both Signal Boxs....
I also went to school with Charles Mahers son.... It was a great time Monday to Friday - I used to travel in with Vic Parkin(10A) everyday from Carnforth having been dropped of by my mother and then travel back home up lake windermere with my father in our 10'6 mirror dingy.

Ian H

big all

On Moderation
ok cheers it would be amazing after 50 years to thank them for there selfless actions showing us around with us being to young to know an offer at least petrol money for there hospitality would be the norm :D

Flying Claret

Sorry to hijack the thread, but do people think this railway is worth a visit? Only looks a very short line. Is it best to combine with a trip on the steamer, or worth it on it's own?
Thanks...

robvulpes

Sorry to hijack the thread, but do people think this railway is worth a visit? Only looks a very short line. Is it best to combine with a trip on the steamer, or worth it on it's own?
Thanks...
Combine it with the steamer (joint tickets are available) - but check the weather forecast first! The railway is short, flat and I think a single train service whatever the season (so unlikely to find more than one loco in steam unless a second is under test or similar).

Spartacus

Established Member
There's a pub near the station at Haverthwaite that does food that's worth a look between trains too.

Bedpan

Established Member
Frightening to think about it but it must have been about 25 years ago that I visited. I don't think that it has changed much though. the down side is that it is only 3.5 miles long, but on the other hand it is a good way of going for a cruise on the Windermere steamers, using the railway as a park and ride. The idea of getting off a steam train at the terminus and transferring onto a boat moored alongside is quite unique. I would have put it on a par with somewhere like the Chinnor and Princes Risborough line - well worth a visit but very different from the premier League railways.

Agsinst this background I was very surprised to read recently that the L&HR carried 200,000+ passengers a year, a significant proportion being people on coach trips, including a large number of Japanese tourists. . Against that background I can understand that the operators would prefer a "working" railway with just the stock of locos and carriages that they need rather than accommodating a number of preservation projects either being worked upon or awaiting restoration.

E759

Thanks...
I did the lake "steamer" and railway. Lovely trip it was too and well worth doing. Purchased a combined ticket at Bowness Pier. The bus stop is just on the other side of the road if arriving from Windermere via train.

E759

There's a pub near the station at Haverthwaite that does food that's worth a look between trains too.
The cafe at the station itself is very good too. In fact one of the best I've ever come across. You can find their food menu on the railway website. Not many lines do that!

Flying Claret

Thanks for the feedback. We'll be staying in Grizedale so will probably start and finish in haverthwaite.

Ploughman

Established Member
Frightening to think about it but it must have been about 25 years ago that I visited. I don't think that it has changed much though. the down side is that it is only 3.5 miles long, but on the other hand it is a good way of going for a cruise on the Windermere steamers, using the railway as a park and ride. The idea of getting off a steam train at the terminus and transferring onto a boat moored alongside is quite unique. I would have put it on a par with somewhere like the Chinnor and Princes Risborough line - well worth a visit but very different from the premier League railways.

Agsinst this background I was very surprised to read recently that the L&HR carried 200,000+ passengers a year, a significant proportion being people on coach trips, including a large number of Japanese tourists. . Against that background I can understand that the operators would prefer a "working" railway with just the stock of locos and carriages that they need rather than accommodating a number of preservation projects either being worked upon or awaiting restoration.

Up there last year.
It appeared to me that the operation is geared towards booked coach parties on a one way Train ride and Lake cruise with coaches dropping off at Haverthwaite and picking up at the top of the lake.
Did not notice if there was a similar traffic flow the other way.

Flying Claret

Up there last year.
It appeared to me that the operation is geared towards booked coach parties on a one way Train ride and Lake cruise with coaches dropping off at Haverthwaite and picking up at the top of the lake.

Would make sense. At least it will be quiet on the way back. Most importantly of all. Is there a bar on the train and ferry? I'll be travelling with a thirsty group and need to be prepared...

Steamie Boxes

The L&HR are now doing at joint ticket with the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway, available on the Ravenglass website, not sure about the Lakeside website.

E759

The L&HR are now doing at joint ticket with the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway, available on the Ravenglass website, not sure about the Lakeside website.
There is a bar on the Lake Steamer. I used it last year on a glorious sunny day. Didn’t look on the train but beer is definitely served in Haverthwaite station cafe.

bramling

Veteran Member
Up there last year.

I think they do get flows in the other direction too. Many many years ago I remember taking the boat from Windermere then train to Haverthwaite and the whole trip in reverse.

To be fair it’s a nice well-run little railway, the staff are welcoming, and they offer PRIV discounts - so what’s not to like?

It can get very busy at times, so best visited outside the height of the tourist season. The last trip of the day is often a good bet for a reasonably quiet journey. I think they do have a small number of compartment carriages which offers some haven from the masses - last time I went these were at the Haverthwaite end of the train.

All in all whilst by no means the most exciting preserved line, what they have is run well, and is well worth a visit to cross it off the list if nothing else.

Bedpan

Established Member
I think they do get flows in the other direction too. Many many years ago I remember taking the boat from Windermere then train to Haverthwaite and the whole trip in reverse.

To be fair it’s a nice well-run little railway, the staff are welcoming, and they offer PRIV discounts - so what’s not to like?

It can get very busy at times, so best visited outside the height of the tourist season. The last trip of the day is often a good bet for a reasonably quiet journey. I think they do have a small number of compartment carriages which offers some haven from the masses - last time I went these were at the Haverthwaite end of the train.

All in all whilst by no means the most exciting preserved line, what they have is run well, and is well worth a visit to cross it off the list if nothing else.

If you measure patronage in passengers per train mile travelled, it must be top of the league by a country mile, at least foir a standard gauge line. .

mpthomson

I did wonder about that. The Haverthwaite yard has easy access for a truck but I guess the roads aren’t so ideal.

Interesting. Why were they evicted? The LMS Ivatt 2MT that’s currently in BR red arrived recently tho.
Given that their industrials are more than adequate for their services, you’d have thought that the Fairburn would represent an opportunity to earn some decent hire fees with gala appearances etc

Nothing wrong with the roads, most of it from the M6 is now dual carriageway and the A590 (that the main yard is on) is a trunk road used to carrying heavy traffic to and from Barrow. The only tricky bit I can think of would be the long and reasonably steep bank from Lindale towards Newby Bridge.

mpthomson

Perhaps the more isolated nature of this line makes getting the locos in and out hard and expensive
It's not that isolated, the main yard is next to a trunk road (the A590) and most of the way back to the motorway is now dual carriageway, with only one significant hill.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
It's not that isolated, the main yard is next to a trunk road (the A590) and most of the way back to the motorway is now dual carriageway, with only one significant hill.

Apologies - I meant that the cost of getting the transport to and from such a location might be more than, say, a railway based in the midlands rather than geographical isolation but then thinking on it people must send boats up that way on transporters on a regular basis!

LWB

[QUOTE="robvulpes, post: 3911012,member: 896”] The railway is short, FLAT. [/QUOTE]

Flat is the last word I’d use to describe the L&HR

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.