• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lancashire surnames?

Status
Not open for further replies.

telstarbox

Established Member
This is probably nothing, but I have several friends and work contacts in the North West, and lots of them happen to have surnames which are also placenames in (traditional) Lancashire. Examples are Pennington, Warrington, Hindley, Adlington, Bryn, Farnworth etc. Is this a 'thing' around there or just coincidence?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Trying to think of people I've met who have surnames as places...

Bolton
Cambridge
Coventry
Rotherham
Kent
Lancashire
Lancaster
Pennington
Blackburn
Preston
Atherton
Battersby
Middleton

Definitely a north western 'bias' in them.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
This is probably nothing, but I have several friends and work contacts in the North West, and lots of them happen to have surnames which are also placenames in (traditional) Lancashire. Examples are Pennington, Warrington, Hindley, Adlington, Bryn, Farnworth etc. Is this a 'thing' around there or just coincidence?

Surnames in the UK generally derive from one of 3 things - where you lived, what you did or whose son you were.

e.g.
1. Name of place
2. Baker, Butcher etc
3. William's Son -> Williamson ( -> Williams), or John's Son -> Johnson ( -> Jones)

So this isn't at all unusual.

S&CLER

Bamber is a typically Lancashire surname, very strongly represented in the Preston area - e.g. Bamber Bridge. In that case the place takes its name from the family and not the other way round, I think.

Peter C

Established Member
Trying to think of people I've met who have surnames as places...

Bolton
Cambridge
Coventry
Rotherham
Kent
Lancashire
Lancaster
Pennington
Blackburn
Preston
Atherton
Battersby
Middleton

Definitely a north western 'bias' in them.
And Ripon is there as well, although Angela Rippon's surname, which reminded me of this, has two 'p's.

-Peter

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
People were named for their appearance too, Mr Little and Mr Large (stage names) started their career in 'North-West England'

chorleyjeff

Surnames in the UK generally derive from one of 3 things - where you lived, what you did or whose son you were.

e.g.
1. Name of place
2. Baker, Butcher etc
3. William's Son -> Williamson ( -> Williams), or John's Son -> Johnson ( -> Jones)

So this isn't at all unusual.
A fourth. Named after the feudal family you were bound to.

prod_pep

Established Member
Halsall, Hindley, Lathom and Leyland are four more off the top of my head.

Last edited:

SiggysigAah

Alnwick, Altham, Anderton, Brindle, Bolton, Bowland, Bleasdale, Charnock, Clayton, Clitheroe, Eccles, Farnworth, Fishwick, Galgate, Hoghton, Holcombe, Ince, Kirkham, Lancashire, Prescott, Ramsbottom, Scarisbrick, Thornton.

Last edited:

When I was a boy there was a Mr Leyland who lived in Leyland Lane, Leyland.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Alnwick, Altham, Anderton, Brindle, Bolton, Bowland, Bleasdale, Charnock, Clayton, Clitheroe, Eccles, Farnworth, Fishwick, Galgate, Hoghton, Holcombe, Ince, Kirkham, Lancashire, Prescott, Ramsbottom, Scarisbrick, Thornton.
The place name, however, is spelt Prescot.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Halsall, Hindley, Lathom and Leyland are four more off the top of my head.
Hmmm..... Maurice Leyland was a Yorkshire cricketer in an era when only true-born Yorkshiremen could play for the county. :)

S&CLER

A certain Mr Gascoigne who was presenter of University Challenge had Bamber as his first name.
And one of his ancestors of the same name was mayor of Liverpool in the 18th century. In some families it was common to use your mother's maiden name as your given name, usually your middle name. It was common among the Anglo-Irish gentry, that's how the male novelist Joyce Cary got his first name: his mother had been a Miss Joyce. In some countries names of common or doubtful sex such as Evelyn or Hilary are illegal, e.g. in Portugal.

route101

Established Member
I think of Lancashire name i think of Greenhalghs , the halghs bit ive seen in surnames.

And one of his ancestors of the same name was mayor of Liverpool in the 18th century. In some families it was common to use your mother's maiden name as your given name, usually your middle name. It was common among the Anglo-Irish gentry, that's how the male novelist Joyce Cary got his first name: his mother had been a Miss Joyce. In some countries names of common or doubtful sex such as Evelyn or Hilary are illegal, e.g. in Portugal.

Yes, im my first name is my mothers maiden name.

lyndhurst25

Established Member
Fazakerley is a suburb in Liverpool, but the surname is usually spelt Fazackerley.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Other less obvious places that have surnames linked with Lancashire not too far from my home town of Wigan -

Crawford (Lancs village near Skelmersdale)
Orrell
(Up) Holland
Roby (Mill)
Martland (Mill)
Heskin
Eccleston (two of these - one in St Helens & one near Chorley)
Winstanley
Worthington
Ashton (in-Makerfield)
Newton (le-Willows)
Lowton
Haydock
Platt (Bridge)
Scholes
Pennington (small area just outside of Leigh).
Even Leigh is a surname.

Alot of places now come under Wigan Borough which is part of Greater Manchester, but most people still regard the place as Lancashire. A bit like Southport - never remind the locals they are in Merseyside!

CJ

Quite a few famous Egertons (village near Bolton), including Sir Philip de Malpas Grey Egerton, after whom the Egerton Dock in Birkenhead was named.

Status
Not open for further replies.