• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Land Rover driver blocks a bus

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...refuses-pull-bus-pass-stand-country-lane.html

Is this the most petulant motorist in Britain? Ridiculous moment Land Rover driver refuses to pull over so bus can pass in stand-off on country lane

This is the unbelievable moment a Land Rover driver blocks a narrow country lane to argue with a man in a bus for not pulling over and allowing him to pass.

According to the driver of the silver 4x4, the bus should have prevented the incident from occurring by braking in advance and moving into the space on his left.

And according to the bus driver, who pointed out the space on his right which could be used, he was not prepared to slam his brakes on in such a heavy vehicle.

The video, which shows the drivers facing off for around 90 seconds, was captured on a dashcam on an unidentified single-track road in the UK.

In the clip the bus can be seen driving towards the Land Rover, which slows down and eventually stops in the middle of the narrow street.

The bus driver is forced to do the same while he waits for the motorist to pull into the space on his left and allow him room to pass.

But instead the man decides to exit his vehicle and confront the driver...
Looks like a very selfish silly old fool, who could have easily moved into the space on the left to let the bus pass.

It's a pity there are too many selfish people like him who think they're more important than anyone else.

Anyone know where this was filmed?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I drive up and down single track roads and country lanes in my Clio virtually every day of the year and this sort of behaviour is quite common. BMW 4x4 drivers are the worst, they don't just think they own the road, they know they do! I am as of yesterday missing the hard plastic backing to my driver's wing mirror because the idiot driving towards me insisted on keeping to the middle of the road and driving at 50 mph even though I'd virtually gone into the hedge and slowed to 20 mph myself - needless to say, he didn't stop.

LAIRA

I drove a large van around the South Hams in Devon for over ten years and always carried a newspaper, not always that days, so when cars would not go back I could have a read. Nearly always worked!

Zoidberg

Established Member
What happened before the video clip?

Was the bus driver bullying his way through? We don't know.

Established Member
I've seen the full clip recently, though it appears to have been removed from YouTube, and the driver definitely wasn't trying to bully his way through - he slowed down when the Land Rover came into sight and stopped before the opening visible in the right to let it pull in there.

Zoidberg

Established Member
I've seen the full clip recently, though it appears to have been removed from YouTube, and the driver definitely wasn't trying to bully his way through - he slowed down when the Land Rover came into sight and stopped before the opening visible in the right to let it pull in there.

Thanks. It's a shame the full video is no longer available.

Harpers Tate

Established Member
IMO permanent withdrawal of the 4x4 driver's licence ought to be the minimum outcome here. There really is no room, whatsoever, for this kind of attitude on our roads - in our society, even!

Teflon Lettuce

Established Member
as a bus driver driving deep rural routes I can sadly confirm that this sort of event is all too common.... it never ceases to amaze me how often a car driver comes hurtling round the bend at 40-50 mph, slams on his anchors when confronted by my bus and then looks at me as if to say "what you gonna do now mate" my answer is simple... if you want to wait for my boss to send someone out to guide me back then I'm happy to reverse... after all the regulations are perfectly clear.

1. you should travel at a speed at which you can safely stop within the distance you can see (hence why buses tend to drive at no more than 20mph on twisty single track roads)

2. it is illegal for a bus to reverse on the public highway with passengers aboard without a company official to guide them.

strangely enough on certain runs at rush hour you tend to meet the same cars driven by the same drivers at the same corners every day with the same gormless look on their face "oh my god it's a bus"

Busaholic

Veteran Member
as a bus driver driving deep rural routes I can sadly confirm that this sort of event is all too common.... it never ceases to amaze me how often a car driver comes hurtling round the bend at 40-50 mph, slams on his anchors when confronted by my bus and then looks at me as if to say "what you gonna do now mate" my answer is simple... if you want to wait for my boss to send someone out to guide me back then I'm happy to reverse... after all the regulations are perfectly clear.

1. you should travel at a speed at which you can safely stop within the distance you can see (hence why buses tend to drive at no more than 20mph on twisty single track roads)

2. it is illegal for a bus to reverse on the public highway with passengers aboard without a company official to guide them.

strangely enough on certain runs at rush hour you tend to meet the same cars driven by the same drivers at the same corners every day with the same gormless look on their face "oh my god it's a bus"

The craziest thing of all on most of these roads/lanes is that the legal speed limit is 60 mph, which would be a totally reckless and insane speed to reach even on a straight stretch of more than half a mile. Around my way, there are riding stables too, and a local woman horserider is campaigning with the aid of a video camera to get (a minority of ) drivers to be a little less selfish and slow down.

Stan Drews

Established Member
That's a myth - it may be company policy for many bus companies, but there's no law forbidding it, despite being a commonly held belief.

Indeed. However, I'm amazed how many times I've heard it trotted out as if it were true - and often by drivers who otherwise are eminently sensible.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Indeed. However, I'm amazed how many times I've heard it trotted out as if it were true - and often by drivers who otherwise are eminently sensible.

The Transport and General Workers Union of yore were very keen to stop reversal of one-person-operated buses, in the hope that conductors' jobs would be held on to, but they fought a losing battle.

Teflon Lettuce

Established Member
That's a myth - it may be company policy for many bus companies, but there's no law forbidding it, despite being a commonly held belief.

well if it's a myth then someone ought to tell DVLA examiners... I was asked by my examiner on my test about this very subject.... also it is quite clearly stated in the Conduct of Drivers Conductors and Passengers act 1936 and has never been repealed by subsequent legislation.... though of course it is normally ignored in every day life... HOWEVER when confronted by an idiot motorist who drives past a sensible passing place and then expects to have right of way it becomes an eminently useful piece of legislation....

on a similar note I find it so sad that when companies are faced with complaints that "the bus pulled out the bus stop in front of me" they unreservedly apologise ( and usually discipline the driver concerned) instead of pointing out what the law says about right of way of buses pulling away from bus stops!

jon0844

Veteran Member
Is it a must or should? I always do it, but can't recall if it's an actual law.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Zoidberg

Established Member
Is it a must or should? I always do it, but can't recall if it's an actual law.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

From

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/road-users-requiring-extra-care-204-to-225

Rule 223
Buses, coaches and trams. Give priority to these vehicles when you can do so safely, especially when they signal to pull away from stops. Look out for people getting off a bus or tram and crossing the road.

Not a legal requirement.

Teflon Lettuce

Established Member

Excuse me but it IS a legal requirement... you are legally obliged to follow the rules of the highway code.. failure to do so renders you liable to prosecution for careless or dangerous driving... and I can recount innumerable cases where it is safe for car drivers to let me out of the stop but they steadfastly refuse to do so... even when they are STATIONARY.... tell me how in that instance it is UNSAFE for them to allow me to pull away?

another common practice of car drivers is to patiently sit behind a bus whilst it is loading/ unloading passengers but the the INSTANT the doors close and the buses' right hand indicator goes on they just HAVE to swerve round the bus to be in front... NO MATTER HOW DANGEROUS AND NO MATTER WHAT IS COMING TOWARDS THEM!

Zoidberg

Established Member
Excuse me but it IS a legal requirement... you are legally obliged to follow the rules of the highway code.. failure to do so renders you liable to prosecution for careless or dangerous driving... and I can recount innumerable cases where it is safe for car drivers to let me out of the stop but they steadfastly refuse to do so... even when they are STATIONARY.... tell me how in that instance it is UNSAFE for them to allow me to pull away?

another common practice of car drivers is to patiently sit behind a bus whilst it is loading/ unloading passengers but the the INSTANT the doors close and the buses' right hand indicator goes on they just HAVE to swerve round the bus to be in front... NO MATTER HOW DANGEROUS AND NO MATTER WHAT IS COMING TOWARDS THEM!

Where a Rule has the power of the law behind it, the relevant section of the law is quoted. The rest is 'best practice' and not complying, of itself, does not lay one open to prosecution.

From

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/introduction

Many of the rules in the Code are legal requirements, and if you disobey these rules you are committing a criminal offence. You may be fined, given penalty points on your licence or be disqualified from driving. In the most serious cases you may be sent to prison. Such rules are identified by the use of the words ‘MUST/MUST NOT’. In addition, the rule includes an abbreviated reference to the legislation which creates the offence. See an explanation of the abbreviations.

Although failure to comply with the other rules of the Code will not, in itself, cause a person to be prosecuted, The Highway Code may be used in evidence in any court proceedings under the Traffic Acts (see The road user and the law) to establish liability. This includes rules which use advisory wording such as ‘should/should not’ or ‘do/do not’.

Last edited:

Teflon Lettuce

Established Member
Where a Rule has the power of the law behind it, the relevant section of the law is quoted. The rest is 'best practice' and not complying, of itself, does not lay one open to prosecution.

From

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/introduction

hmmmm pedantry is the bane of driving... so the highway code says you SHOULD give way to buses pulling away from a bus stop when safe to do so... you decide NOT to do so and swerve round to get ahead... in doing so you cause an accident... you have committed an offence of careless or dangerous driving as evidenced by you not complying with the highway code... quite simply put the highway code is like levitical law... it is a whole and complete and not a woolworths pick and mix of I like that one so I'll obey it, I don't like those rules so I'll ignore them...

the passage you quote you quote out of context. the meaning of the passage is that where a specific named offence is committed then the relevent section of law is quoted... where an offence isn't specifically named then, if there is a rule about it in the highway code, failure to comply with the highway code renders you liable to prosecution for careless or dangerous driving... AS I PREVIOUSLY STATED!!

sadly too many car drivers believe that they are more important than anyone else especially those pathetic plebs using that dirty smelly bus..and- dare I say it- the closer to Bavaria that the car is made then the more prevalent that attitude is in the driver....I swear blind that Vorsprung durch technik is German for "driven by a@%*holes" and I won't tell you what BMW really stands for!!!!!!!!!

swj99

It does seem the landrover driver behaved in quite an obstructive way, and I agree the bus driver did the best he could in the situation.
But it's interesting how many people claim to know what other drivers think, despite the fact there are as yet, no known cases of people being able to mind read.

Zoidberg

Established Member

the passage you quote you quote out of context. the meaning of the passage is that where a specific named offence is committed then the relevent section of law is quoted... where an offence isn't specifically named then, if there is a rule about it in the highway code, failure to comply with the highway code renders you liable to prosecution for careless or dangerous driving... AS I PREVIOUSLY STATED!!

Only if failure to follow that rule gives rise to an incident worthy of police attention.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Only if failure to follow that rule gives rise to an incident worthy of police attention.

And we all know that like BTP not being that bothered about certain things on the railway, the 'normal' police aren't too interested in many traffic incidents these days unless there's an accident that involves an injury, or some public order issue.

Thus, someone who ignores a bus indicating and doesn't let it pull out (and that most of the time won't lead to an accident, as the car merely keeps driving as the bus is in a stop) may be an arrogant **** but is not going to receive anything more than a curse from the bus driver and passengers.

I've always done it out of courtesy, even though I've sometimes regretted it later on when stuck behind a bus that can't pull in to a stop further up because of other buses or, more likely, cars parking illegally in the bus stop to nip into the shops.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member

If it's a single track road then surely you should travel at a speed which allows you to stop in HALF the distance you can see?

pompeyfan

Established Member
The bit about reversing without a qualified banks person is a myth, it is company policy by many operators but not law. I have 3 separate routes where I have to reverse without assistance and it's been cleared by union etc, one of them is a route run under contract to the City Council, so I would think they would not wish to break the law. These are not at bus stations either, they are cul - de - sacs.

My favourite line, when caught in a stand off (which sometimes is my fault for having a brain fart and not reading the road correctly, and sometimes is the other persons fault) is to apologise and say that there's a problem with the bus and it won't go into reverse, if they question I say it's on it's way back to the depot to be hit. Works most of the time!

Teflon Lettuce

Established Member
The bit about reversing without a qualified banks person is a myth, it is company policy by many operators but not law. I have 3 separate routes where I have to reverse without assistance and it's been cleared by union etc, one of them is a route run under contract to the City Council, so I would think they would not wish to break the law. These are not at bus stations either, they are cul - de - sacs.

see my previous reply about my psv test. It IS law, however it is law in the same way that all psv's and hackney carriages in London need to carry a bail of hay... ie ignored as being out of date.... after all when bus services were developed there was always a qualified company official available to assist in the reverse.. he was called the conductor... with the intro of OMO the law began to be ignored in specific instances... ie where the route involved a reversing manouvre... and don't forget when OMO was first introduced the company would need permission from the Traffic Commissioners to convert the route to OMO so the company would be asking for legal dispensation.

Put quite simply it is not only illegal to reverse a bus with passengers on it is highly DANGEROUS as well, especially in tight confined situations such as on twisty single track roads...

having said all that... if a motorist is patient and understanding I WILL reverse if it is easier for Me to do so to effect a passing place... only when the motorist comes barrelling up to the nose of my bus and then expects me to reverse because he is more important than me will I enact the law and refuse to move.

I've got to say that if you look at the video carefully you can see that the bus driver was considerate... there is a lovely big driveway that the land rover could have gone into to allow the bus past... and both would have been on their way in a few seconds... perhaps the landrover driver should've gone to specsavers?

Deerfold

Veteran Member
see my previous reply about my psv test. It IS law, however it is law in the same way that all psv's and hackney carriages in London need to carry a bail of hay... ie ignored as being out of date....

So not a law then?

The law about the bale of hay is not ignored, it's not on the statute books as it was repealed in 1976.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-17610820

Robertj21a

On Moderation
see my previous reply about my psv test. It IS law, however it is law in the same way that all psv's and hackney carriages in London need to carry a bail of hay... ie ignored as being out of date.... after all when bus services were developed there was always a qualified company official available to assist in the reverse.. he was called the conductor... with the intro of OMO the law began to be ignored in specific instances... ie where the route involved a reversing manouvre... and don't forget when OMO was first introduced the company would need permission from the Traffic Commissioners to convert the route to OMO so the company would be asking for legal dispensation.

Put quite simply it is not only illegal to reverse a bus with passengers on it is highly DANGEROUS as well, especially in tight confined situations such as on twisty single track roads...

having said all that... if a motorist is patient and understanding I WILL reverse if it is easier for Me to do so to effect a passing place... only when the motorist comes barrelling up to the nose of my bus and then expects me to reverse because he is more important than me will I enact the law and refuse to move.

I've got to say that if you look at the video carefully you can see that the bus driver was considerate... there is a lovely big driveway that the land rover could have gone into to allow the bus past... and both would have been on their way in a few seconds... perhaps the landrover driver should've gone to specsavers?

It can't now be illegal to reverse a bus with passengers on board. If it was then all these modern bus stations would be illegal too.

Teflon Lettuce

Established Member
It can't now be illegal to reverse a bus with passengers on board. If it was then all these modern bus stations would be illegal too.

no it wouldn't be illegal to reverse in a bus station as a bus station is private land and not the public highway.

pompeyfan

Established Member
We're going round in circles here....

If it was against the law, then why am I SCHEDULED to do it with passengers on board? Regardless of how outdated a law is, it would have been flagged up at some stage by either the union, the company or the council, but no one has.

quarella

well if it's a myth then someone ought to tell DVLA examiners... I was asked by my examiner on my test about this very subject.... also it is quite clearly stated in the Conduct of Drivers Conductors and Passengers act 1936 and has never been repealed by subsequent legislation.... !

It appears that the Act was not repealed but revoked.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1990/1020/schedule/made

SCHEDULE(Regulations revoked by regulation 2)
Title Year and number
The Public Service Vehicles (Conduct of Drivers, Conductors and Passengers) Regulations 1936 S.R. and O. 1936 No. 619
The Public Service Vehicles (Conduct of Drivers, Conductors and Passengers) (Amendment) Regulations 1946 S.R. and O. 1946 No. 357
The Public Service Vehicles (Conduct of Drivers, Conductors and Passengers) (Amendment) Regulations 1975 S.I. 1975 No. 461
The Public Service Vehicles (Conduct of Drivers, Conductors and Passengers) (Amendment) Regulations 1980 S.I. 1980 No. 915

Status
Not open for further replies.