• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Landslide on the Fort William -> Mallaig line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Any update on the extent of the track damage on the Fort William -> Mallaig line (between Glenfinnan and Lochailort) following the thunderstorms on Thursday which I believe will mean that the line will be out of use until mid July. Hear that the ballast under some 80 metres of track was washed away.

It's certainly fairly remote country up there! :(

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

59CosG95

Established Member
Any update on the extent of the track damage on the Fort William -> Mallaig line (between Glenfinnan and Lochailort) following the thunderstorms on Thursday which I believe will mean that the line will be out of use until mid July. Hear that the ballast under some 80 metres of track was washed away.

It's certainly fairly remote country up there! :(
I suspect, cynically, that the Highland Tourist Board are a bit relieved - it means less chance of a rise in COVID cases if the railway's out of commission!

That said, it's a definite blow for all those who need to travel between Fort Bill & Mallaig, as they'll have to bustituted until it's all repaired.

InOban

Established Member
The latest estimate is the 13th, two days before the Jacobite is due to start.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Is it correct that the Jacobite will be non-stopping at Glenfinnan as and when services on the Fort William -> Mallaig line return (hopefully 13th July as mentioned above)? And how will such Jacobite services interlace with Scotrail trains given that there aren't many passing places on the line?

Macwomble

Is it correct that the Jacobite will be non-stopping at Glenfinnan as and when services on the Fort William -> Mallaig line return (hopefully 13th July as mentioned above)?

Almost certainly will stop at Glenfinnan; in fact will have to as there & Arisaig are the only two crossing points between Mallaig & Fort Bill.

InOban

Established Member
It will have to stop to exchange the radio token. I think that all seats will be reserved, no pickup or set down at intermediate stations.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
It will have to stop to exchange the radio token. I think that all seats will be reserved, no pickup or set down at intermediate stations.
Believe that there may be set down / pickup at Arisaig as well as at the terminus at Mallaig (but not at Glenfinnan).

FQTV

Is it correct that the Jacobite will be non-stopping at Glenfinnan as and when services on the Fort William -> Mallaig line return (hopefully 13th July as mentioned above)? And how will such Jacobite services interlace with Scotrail trains given that there aren't many passing places on the line?

The café and museum at Glenfinnan aren't opening this Summer, so it’s not going to be an advertised stop for The Jacobite, apparently.

Having said that, RealTimeTrains still has a 26 minute layover time showing at Glenfinnan for the morning service, with the token exchange of course.

Essan

Anyone know exactly where this occurred? Looking at the pictures in this report it looks to be at the back of Craiglea, near Arieniskill, by the west end of Loch Eilt (about a mile and a half east of Lochailort)?

Just curious - sadly it will be a while before I am back up there again

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Anyone know exactly where this occurred? Looking at the pictures in this report it looks to be at the back of Craiglea, near Arieniskill, by the west end of Loch Eilt (about a mile and a half east of Lochailort)
I believe that this location is correct, there is a local Press & Journal news report of a property (which cross checks to being at Craiglea in Lochailort) being impacted by a localised deluge on Thursday and the story also mentions the railway being affected and not being that far away. (30 feet distance).

Essan

I believe that this location is correct, there is a local Press & Journal news report of a property (which cross checks to being at Craiglea in Lochailort) being impacted by a localised deluge on Thursday and the story also mentions the railway being affected and not being that far away. (30 feet distance).

Thanks for that. I had seen something about Kirsty's Kids but never put 2 and 2 together .... The Bryden's moved in there just after I left LA in 1999

Essan

That's an interesting house next door. Don't look too much at the google photos...

I hope the engineers working on it won't get too much of a look one day.

A bit more info here which explains it

In 2013 realising that there were many weeks of the year when the house was unoccupied they wanted to maximise the chance to fund the children’s charity. About this time they were contacted by a member of British Naturism, a young man who suffers from Cerebral palsy with seriously limited movement, but being financially secure he asked about staying as a paying guest. The young man enjoyed an independent vacation which allowed him dignity and self-respect particularly at times of personal hygiene.

After some thought the concept of West Highland Retreat was born. Jan & John realised there was a lack of facilities for genuine naturists in the UK.

~ ~ ~

Realising that there were very limited facilities for genuine naturist families it seemed a unique selling point to allow naturists to pay for a holiday on the vacant times when no respite care kids were in residence.

Since then guests have been able to enjoy the highlands as paying guests and in doing so help Jan and John to meet the running costs of the centre.

Never the twain shall meet - it is important to understand that while WHR is occupied by paying guests it is never occupied by Respite Care families and vice versa.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Line now re-open. Over 1600 tonnes of material used in the repair, apparently.

InOban

Established Member
Yes. That's why the engines and stock came North over the weekend. Pics all over social media.

FQTV

Does that mean the Jacobite Steam trains will be running?

In case it's of interest, I've set up a thread for specific Jacobite news/experiences for ths year at:

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
In case it's of interest, I've set up a thread for specific Jacobite news/experiences for ths year at:

Thank you, I shall have a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.