• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Landslide on the Piccadilly Line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Met Driver

Established Member
The scene earlier this evening...

bostonmanor_landslip.jpg

H

HR2

That's not a landslide. Why do newspapers exaggerate? It techincally a bank slip. Ah me, sensationalism wins the day agiain!

eezypeazy

Now, I'm just a layman, but I've always associated landslides and bankslips with heavy rain downpours - the bank, literally, being washed away. Yet, judging by the colour of the vegetation in the pic, I'd say the bank was as dry as a bone.... should we be looking out for other potential "dry" land slips like this?

eezypeazy

PS: I spy 15 men in the pic, and not one of them is carrying a shovel!

Coxster

Established Member
eezypeazy said:
I spy 17 including the one getting out the van in the station car park. If rainfall there was anything like near me it had been dry for the past few weeks (the odd drop of rain at night) but yesterday it suddenly came down VERY heavy for over and hour causing a very large, deep puddle on a local road that was so deep it was spilling over the pavement and flooding people's gardens :D Drove very slowly through that one!

Tom B

Established Member
eezypeazy said:

Good point - they could have swept it all away in half an hour and got the service running rather than blathering away down phones and filling paperwork in!

(Or wasn't it part of their contract or something? We know how nobody these days will do anything without it being "their" job and a bit of paper to say so)

Met Driver

Established Member
Coxster said:
If rainfall there was anything like near me it had been dry for the past few weeks (the odd drop of rain at night) but yesterday it suddenly came down VERY heavy...

That's pretty much what happened. Thunder, lightening - the full works.

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Well, at least 4 of them appear to be using a mobile phone ;)

As for the cause, if the weather has been very hot (which it has) and hence everywhere was very dry and the soild was perhaps becoming a bit crumbly (which it could have been) then I imagine a bit of heavy rain could easily wash it away an cause a small land slip.

Met Driver

Established Member
eezypeazy said:

They brought in what appeared to be a giant vaccuum cleaner later in the evening to sort the mess out -

bostonmanor_landslip3.jpg

Who needs shovels when you've got one of those? ;)

The Snap

Established Member
Your first picture is better than the BBC's one Seth - you shoud have sent it in! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.