• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Landslip at Crewkerne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sleepy

Established Member
:cry: West Country travellers are completely stuffed now as landslide occurred at Crewkerne ! travel via Bristol Parkway now advised.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LeylandLen

:cry: West Country travellers are completely stuffed now as landslide occurred at Crewkerne ! travel via Bristol Parkway now advised.

Did I hear correctly on TV that the landslide at Crewkerne will take about a week to clear and get trains running ??

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Network Rail said:
Flooding on the Somerset Levels and a landslip at Crewkerne means there are no routes to the West Country open to trains this Saturday afternoon.

The route from Bridgewater is blocked by the flooded River Parrett to the south of the town, while the main line from Castle Cary is blocked by flooding at Athelney.

The diversionary route via Yeovil is also blocked by an embankment landslip at Crewkerne. This was discovered soon after 9am this morning but it has now deteriorated to the extent that trains are no longer able to run.

It is likely that the slip at Crewkerne will be closed for a least a week, but it is too early to say when the line through Bridgewater will reopen. The floods are currently being blown into waves by the high winds in the area, which are washing away the stones the track rests on.

The route via Athelney is under water but will be assessed as soon as the flood level drops.

http://www.networkrailmediacentre.c...and-landslip-block-routes-to-Exeter-1fd6.aspx

Clearly a very difficult combination of events for NR - another landslip underlines NRs view that a number of routes have issue with earthworks. At least this is talking of a week rather than any longer, pending the route via Athelney I guess getting this route back in operation will be accelerated as far as possible.

welshpax

I think I was on the last train over that section of track and they must have closed it shortly afterwards.

Was on the delayed 11.39 from Yeovil Junction to Crewkerne and we slowed down to about 5mph and I looked out of the window and saw some guys in Orange and some of the embankment missing, must after got worse afterward.

Crossover

Established Member
I think I was on the last train over that section of track and they must have closed it shortly afterwards.

Was on the delayed 11.39 from Yeovil Junction to Crewkerne and we slowed down to about 5mph and I looked out of the window and saw some guys in Orange and some of the embankment missing, must after got worse afterward.

Either that or they decided they were at risk of losing trains if they continued running services on the line!

embers25

Established Member
Apparently they now hope to open it again at midday today!!

D1009

Established Member
Realtime Trains shows an empty HST running as 5A77 0815 Exeter St Davids to Yeovil Pen Mill, returning as 5Z77 at 0945. I presume this is some sort of trial run.

embers25

Established Member
Realtime Trains shows an empty HST running as 5A77 0815 Exeter St Davids to Yeovil Pen Mill, returning as 5Z77 at 0945. I presume this is some sort of trial run.

I'm on the 0815 from Waterloo so hoping tha the above train gets thru.

embers25

Established Member

Test train just reached yeovil BUT nat rail just updated and removed the bit about line reopening so not looking good.

Last edited:

341o2

Established Member
online now showing no service between London and Exeter. Service from Paddington shows no service between Castle Cary/Bridgewater and Taunton, while Waterloo showing no service between Yeovil and Axminster

High Dyke

Established Member
Shown cancelled at Waterloo - planned cancellation... Maybe due to the modified timetable that was in place due to FGW divvies...

09:15 ex-Waterloo seemingly hasn't yet departed either...

embers25

Established Member
Shown cancelled at Waterloo - planned cancellation... Maybe due to the modified timetable that was in place due to FGW divvies...

09:15 ex-Waterloo seemingly hasn't yet departed either...

0915 is approaching Andover on time and I'm on the empty 0815 just left Gillingham

embers25

Established Member
0915 is approaching Andover on time and I'm on the empty 0815 just left Gillingham

Buses are running to Axminster but with a 25 main wait at both yeovil and axminster meaning extra delay and coordinator at Yeovil has no clue and is giving people incorrect advice.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I'm caught up in this at the moment, having been to Exeter to watch a rugby match last night.

I was on the 1220 from Waterloo yesterday which terminated at Yeovil Junction, from where we had to get a replacement coach to Exeter. I was fortunate in being one of the first off the train so was able to get on the first coach that came.

Earlier this morning NRE said that they were hoping to reopen the line at midday and that the 1058 from Exeter would hopefully be the first train to run through.

This hasn't happened, as that information has been removed. I'm currently sat on the 1126 to Axminster (which is being operated by FGW rather than SWT). Replacement bus from Axminster to Yeovil awaits.

To be fair to SWT they responded pretty well yesterday, considering the difficulty they must have had sourcing further replacement coaches. St.David's station is more like a bus station than a railway station at the moment.

CC 72100

Established Member
This hasn't happened, as that information has been removed. I'm currently sat on the 1126 to Axminster (which is being operated by FGW rather than SWT). Replacement bus from Axminster to Yeovil awaits.

What are FGW using, just out of interest? 15x I take it?

embers25

Established Member
Realtime trains has the 5Z77 YVP to EXD having passed YVJ at 12.03 3/4

Now on 150248!!! Very novel from axminster.Our bus took 1 hr leaving at 1110 so the one the other way should just miss the 1330 sorry.There were many workman on the line at yeovil so maybe it will get reopened.Great to see fgw and SWT coordinating.Axminster boards have the 1224,1335 then the 1406 running thru from london so fingers crossed.It says we are 6 coaches and to use the front 3 despite it being 2.there are more thsn one coachliad going the other way! Hope you got on.

Bradshaw

From the SWT website

Direct train services between Exeter and Waterloo will resume early this afternoon. This follows extensive checks carried out across the landslip site at Crewkerne earlier this morning which has demonstrated that it is possible to re-open the line with trains running at a reduced speed.
-
Engineering teams will remain on site throughout Sunday and will be working overnight to make additional repairs. There may be some alterations to the train service on the morning of Monday 10 February to allow these works to be fully completed.
-
The first train from Exeter St David's towards London Waterloo will be the 12:25 Exeter St David's departure.
The first train from London Waterloo that will run through to Exeter will be the 10:15 London Waterloo departure which is already on route.

High Dyke

Established Member
Realtime trains has the 5Z77 YVP to EXD having passed YVJ at 12.03 3/4
This test set has seemingly made it through to Honiton.

Taken from NRE.

landslip near Crewkerne resulted in the closure of the railway line between Yeovil Junction and Axminster on Saturday 9 February and into this morning as well.

The line is now open and trains are able to run between Exeter St Davids and Yeovil Junction at a reduced speed through the affected area. Trains may be delayed by up to 15 minutes as a result of the speed restriction.

Buses will remain on standby to supplement the train service where needed.

Last edited:

Rich McLean

Established Member
This test set has seemingly made it through to Honiton.

All up and running, but only SWT using the route. FGW services terminating at Castle Cary
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
First FGW service through will be the 1628 (I think) off Exeter, but dependant on conditions and disruption

Last edited:

jamesr

The South West Trains website now says signalling problems between Yeovil and Salisbury resulting in diversions via Westbury. You have to feel for the NR guys and the planners who seem to be facing every problem under the sun this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.