• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Landslip at Wanborough

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I notice they have cancelled all trains between Redhill and Gatwick Airport due to the earlier landslip. What has changed from yesterday?

Alas due to another issue, there is only 1 train an hour between Gatwick Airport and Redhill at the moment and it only connects with the slow train to Reading.

At least it connects with that one.

Update: Actually another issue between Gatwick Airport and Redhill is also canceling North Downs Line trains. National Rail Enquiries have this:
Great Western Railway

Great Western Railway services are not calling at Gatwick Airport today. Trains will start / terminate at Redhill instead.

Customers may use the following alternatives to complete your journeys:

• Thameslink between Redhill and Gatwick Airport
  • Replacement buses are running between Redhill and Gatwick Airport
  • Metrobus will accept rail ticket holders on all reasonable routes between Crawley, Gatwick Airport, Redhill and Reigate

So maybe it is that issue rather than the landslip or maybe it is in fact both and it's not possible to list both reasons on the live departure boards.

Despite it being all day, all the train from Gatwick Airport to Reading from 13:29 onwards are still showing as starting at Gatwick Airport.

I'm on the delayed 10:39. It was delayed waiting for another delayed train to arrive and leave first. I hope I don't miss the 11am service or I'll have a 40 minute wait at Redhill.

I decided not to travel via Clapham Junction as my ticket isn't valid that way. I bought the ticket before realising the issue. They haven't said one can travel via Clapham Junction. If only but then I wouldn't have seen it as the note about the service that was started short, the 10:29, just says it's due to the earlier landslip and there is no link to any other page.

Thankfully the train wasn't that delayed into Redhill. I was expecting a larger delay than this. Only 4 minutes or so.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Minstral25

Established Member
I notice they have cancelled all trains between Redhill and Gatwick Airport due to the earlier landslip. What has changed from yesterday?

Alas due to another issue, there is only 1 train an hour between Gatwick Airport and Redhill at the moment and it only connects with the slow train to Reading.

At least it connects with that one.

Update: Actually another issue between Gatwick Airport and Redhill is also canceling North Downs Line trains. National Rail Enquiries have this:

So maybe it is that issue rather than the landslip or maybe it is in fact both and it's not possible to list both reasons on the live departure boards.

Despite it being all day, all the train from Gatwick Airport to Reading from 13:29 onwards are still showing as starting at Gatwick Airport.

I'm on the delayed 10:39. It was delayed waiting for another delayed train to arrive and leave first. I hope I don't miss the 11am service or I'll have a 40 minute wait at Redhill.

I decided not to travel via Clapham Junction as my ticket isn't valid that way. I bought the ticket before realising the issue. They haven't said one can travel via Clapham Junction. If only but then I wouldn't have seen it as the note about the service that was started short, the 10:29, just says it's due to the earlier landslip and there is no link to any other page.

Thankfully the train wasn't that delayed into Redhill. I was expecting a larger delay than this. Only 4 minutes or so.

As you say trains between Redhill and Gatwick are running on a two track railway along the slow lines only today - Network Rail have spotted potential problem on embankment on Brighton Main Line at Salfords and have closed main lines until Tuesday to make repairs. Southern have cancelled all Gatwick Expresses including Brighton extensions and Thameslink have reduced services too. This will affect Monday's services too but hopefully most people will be at home protecting the NHS etc.

On top of this GWR have introduced a reduced timetable on the North Downs routes due to Covid so a double whammy for you today

infobleep

Veteran Member
As you say trains between Redhill and Gatwick are running on a two track railway along the slow lines only today - Network Rail have spotted potential problem on embankment on Brighton Main Line at Salfords and have closed main lines until Tuesday to make repairs. Southern have cancelled all Gatwick Expresses including Brighton extensions and Thameslink have reduced services too. This will affect Monday's services too but hopefully most people will be at home protecting the NHS etc.

On top of this GWR have introduced a reduced timetable on the North Downs routes due to Covid so a double whammy for you today
The reduced timetable was still 2 trains an hour so not really a double whammy, as for much of its life it was 2 trains an hour in recent years. From March it was just 1 train an hour, until September.

Status
Not open for further replies.