Landslip near Slochd

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by PaxVobiscum, 27 Apr 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ploughman

Ploughman Established Member

Now that would be a surprise.

2. ChiefPlanner

ChiefPlanner Established Member

Fancy going up there in this weather , working shifts over the weekend / overnight , and restoring the line ............?

NR do their best to keep the trains running , not particularly easy I suspect in an isolated area like this , logistically bringing in many tons of ballast etc to restore the route. Comments like that are not helpfull.

3. blanco

blanco Member

i'd imagine they'd want to put some gabion baskets in there to stabilise it, looks as though you could dump all the ballast in the world on there and it'd just head straight down the hill.

4. TimSYoung40145

TimSYoung40145 Established Member

It must be a nightmare of a job in such an isolated place for Network Rail.

It is essential to stabilise the area & hope that the line will reopen quite quickly.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ruwu5p

5. scotsman

scotsman Established Member

It's hardly isolated, Slochd is right on the A9

6. TimSYoung40145

TimSYoung40145 Established Member

I know it's near the A9, but what would situation have been if both the A9 & Railway were blocked by the landslide?

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?mainx2

7. jopsuk

jopsuk Veteran Member

it would be rather awkward- in some parts the modern A9 takes a slightly different route to the old road, so there's diversion posibilities. In extremis, there would have to be a lengthy diversion via Nairn.

8. Ploughman

Ploughman Established Member

Yes I know
    Done that for the last 20 years on track renewals.
    It was more the comment that NWR are good at what they do.

9. ObservationCar

ObservationCar Member

Landslides have blocked both the Line to Nairn and Aviemore, with an HST stranded for 3-4 days, that was 2-3 years ago.

The snow last year and year before closed everything, A9 and Aviemore, Trains were only going as far as Elgin from Inverness, the adverts said, no alternative transport is being provided. Can be annoying, but its not the end of the world if we are cut off, all 4,236 Tescos in Inverness were running low on bread though!

I would say the A9 is blocked more often the the Highland Main Line is, majority of times as said, diversions are easy, but if its between Dalwhinnie and Blair Atholl(Drumochter Pass) then you have to take the A82 or go via Aberdeen. We are Isolated but its the same distance from Inverness to Edinburgh as it is from London to Stoke on Trent, So its not that far,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.