• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lapford station in N gauge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The van. Although I’d happily have more 37s too!
Can never have too many Nose Peds, but would you consider a Frogeye? Perhaps another Hawker plying it's trade, maybe a Fridge for freight specifically?

Can't really go wrong with a pair of Roller Skates, but not sure how common that was in Devon.

Do you need anymore Dobbins for shunting?

I'm sure a Blue Bleep, suitably weathered wouldn't go amiss, popular class that they were. I know you also saw Pedal Carts, but rather underpowered. More Beancans, possibly the Slimline versions, but you've got a lovely one already with the lit-up headcode.

If you're looking for something in the passenger department are units too modern for you? Would you consider a Greenhouse, or would it have to be a Bouncy Castle?

Finally, while very out of area, the 'visiting railtour' excuse might permit a Talc Dispenser to finish up?

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Can never have too many Nose Peds, but would you consider a Frogeye? Perhaps another Hawker plying it's trade, maybe a Fridge for freight specifically?

Can't really go wrong with a pair of Roller Skates, but not sure how common that was in Devon.

Do you need anymore Dobbins for shunting?

I'm sure a Blue Bleep, suitably weathered wouldn't go amiss, popular class that they were. I know you also saw Pedal Carts, but rather underpowered. More Beancans, possibly the Slimline versions, but you've got a lovely one already with the lit-up headcode.

If you're looking for something in the passenger department are units too modern for you? Would you consider a Greenhouse, or would it have to be a Bouncy Castle?

Finally, while very out of area, the 'visiting railtour' excuse might permit a Talc Dispenser to finish up?
I always thought I was up on 80s nicknames but 60% of the above has gone right over my head. Talc Dispensers,Blue Bleeps,Nose Peds,Frogeyes and Roller Skates,WTF?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I always thought I was up on 80s nicknames but 60% of the above has gone right over my head. Talc Dispensers,Blue Bleeps,Nose Peds,Frogeyes and Roller Skates,WTF?
Talc Dispenser - Deltics because of the classic white exhaust

Blue Bleeps - 50s, because they turned out in blue and were the first locos to have vigilance (hence 'bleep')

Nose Peds - 37s, same engines as 'Peds' (31s, short for 'Pedestrian') but longer nose

Frogeyes - 37s with split headcode boxes. 'Kermits' was another name in a similar vein.

Roller Skates - 20s, shaped like roller Skates and better as a pair

;)

Last edited:

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Talc Dispenser - Deltics because of the classic white exhaust

Blue Bleeps - 50s, because they turned out in blue and were the first locos to have vigilance (hence 'bleep')

Nose Peds - 37s, same engines as 'Peds' (31s, short for 'Pedestrian') but longer nose

Frogeyes - 37s with split headcode boxes. 'Kermits' was another name in a similar vain.

Roller Skates - 20s, shaped like roller Skates and better as a pair

;)
Thank you,I’m now more informed than I was. As for Deltics they dispensed more oil than talc as displayed on my face on many occasions!
I always thought Ped was short for Pedal Car.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well folks, it’s official. I’ve pressed the plunger and Lapford is officially for sale as of today…

To cut a long story short, basically I’m taking over a large (6 x 14 foot) shed in the garden as my new railway room and the way Lapford is designed there’s just no way of fitting it in there in its current form. Plus I’ve been researching and planning the next project(s) for a while now anyway and I’m starting to put things in place to make them happen (hopefully towards the end of the week there might be some news on that front actually).

I made this earlier:

Honestly I don’t really know how this is likely to go. How on earth do you go about moving something like this on? I guess the only real way is to put it out there and see what happens…

If there’s no takers then I’ll asset strip it, keep the buildings, electrics and 200 odd trees that I made (it’s almost worth doing it for that actually), but it’d be really nice if someone fell in love with it enough to take it off my hands and get a few years enjoyment out of it like I have. :)

Edit - This not an April Fools joke by the way!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hopefully someone will take it off your hands, as that would be a shame if it came to stripping it. Hopefully I'll get to see it this Summer!

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Such a shame as you’ve spent a lot of time on it and knowing the area I know how it’s as accurate as it can be. If only I had the room! Keep us posted on your next project. Will it still be Devon based?

Ash Bridge

Established Member
I’m confident that you’ll eventually find a new owner for this Mr C, as said above it would be tragic to have to pull it apart after all the time and meticulous attention to detail that you put into creating such an accurate representation of this location.

Hope you get an offer soon!

Gloster

Established Member
I would consider an offer myself: I have plenty of stock but have never got beyond a test track. However, getting it to the Isle of Wight probably makes it unworkable.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Hopefully someone will take it off your hands, as that would be a shame if it came to stripping it. Hopefully I'll get to see it this Summer!

Yes that would be good. :)

I think @Mag_seven has had a go on it at some point. It would be nice if you got to see it.

In fact if anyone local to me wants to have a look please feel free to contact me via pm.

Such a shame as you’ve spent a lot of time on it and knowing the area I know how it’s as accurate as it can be. If only I had the room! Keep us posted on your next project. Will it still be Devon based?
Thanks for saying that. It’s especially appreciated as people like yourself and @Gloster knew it quite well.

Yes I do have a couple of ideas for future projects. One being in N gauge and partly inspired by Seaton Junction in the 1980s. Not a full copy as such, more of a what might have been really. I’ve always wanted to model decent length trains racing through a disused station and there aren’t many that are better than that one, plus I’ve done a fair bit of research on it and I already have most of the stock obviously.

The other project being something 0 gauge partly based in the garden.

Good luck with the sale, and I'm looking forward to seeing your next project :)
Thanks Iskra. Hopefully I’ll have some news on that front soon. ;)

I’m confident that you’ll eventually find a new owner for this Mr C, as said above it would be tragic to have to pull it apart after all the time and meticulous attention to detail that you put into creating such an accurate representation of this location.

Hope you get an offer soon!
Thanks Mr Bridge. I’m feeling hopeful that someone will take it on. Much as I enjoyed making it I am ready to start the next thing now and I’ve got some interesting ideas swirling around. :)

I would consider an offer myself: I have plenty of stock but have never got beyond a test track. However, getting it to the Isle of Wight probably makes it unworkable.
I’ll send you pm.

Iskra

Established Member
One assumes you've considered putting it on Ebay? I appreciate it's a last resort option, but if you list it as buyer collection it solves the shipping issue nicely.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
One assumes you've considered putting it on Ebay? I appreciate it's a last resort option, but if you list it as buyer collection it solves the shipping issue nicely.

Yes I did think about it. These are tentative steps at the moment. :lol:

reddragon

Established Member
Well folks, it’s official. I’ve pressed the plunger and Lapford is officially for sale as of today…

To cut a long story short, basically I’m taking over a large (6 x 14 foot) shed in the garden as my new railway room and the way Lapford is designed there’s just no way of fitting it in there in its current form. Plus I’ve been researching and planning the next project(s) for a while now anyway and I’m starting to put things in place to make them happen (hopefully towards the end of the week there might be some news on that front actually).

I made this earlier:

Honestly I don’t really know how this is likely to go. How on earth do you go about moving something like this on? I guess the only real way is to put it out there and see what happens…

If there’s no takers then I’ll asset strip it, keep the buildings, electrics and 200 odd trees that I made (it’s almost worth doing it for that actually), but it’d be really nice if someone fell in love with it enough to take it off my hands and get a few years enjoyment out of it like I have. :)

Edit - This not an April Fools joke by the way!
Clearly those Accurascale model convinced you to go OO :rolleyes:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Clearly those Accurascale model convinced you to go OO :rolleyes:

They are nice, but I’ve already done 00 and I don’t fancy starting again. ;)

A statement of intent (6/6/2024)

First arrival for myself and Paul’s project 0 gauge in the garden. It was a good price because it needs a repair doing but we’ve ordered the parts and hopefully they’ll be here in a few weeks. It’s a beauty though and we managed to pick up a few cheap wagons as well.

I just took it up to the garden to get a photo outside in the area that we’re planning on using:
AA3D7076-5C1F-4B8A-B82A-C71684A045F9.jpeg

9E8E1D71-042D-4294-B351-84AAD5810995.jpeg

Last edited:

hexagon789

Veteran Member
They are nice, but I’ve already done 00 and I don’t fancy starting again. ;)

A statement of intent (6/6/2024)

First arrival for myself and Paul’s project 0 gauge in the garden. It was a good price because it needs a repair doing but we’ve ordered the parts and hopefully they’ll be here in a few weeks. It’s a beauty though and we managed to pick up a few cheap wagons as well.

I just took it up to the garden to get a photo outside in the area that we’re planning on using:
View attachment 155901

View attachment 155900
Very nice, not the same load as this shot of her but still looks equally the part:

Purple Train

Established Member
I think another oh-I-would-buy-it-but-I'd-have-to-sell-my-mother-in-law-to-make-room-in-the-house post would be rather boring, so I won't bother - but I hope you find a buyer, it's a lovely layout and I have shamelessly stolen taken inspiration from your track plan for the project I'm trying to get to work on. A true labour of love, and it's been a pleasure reading about its progress over the last few years :)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think another oh-I-would-buy-it-but-I'd-have-to-sell-my-mother-in-law-to-make-room-in-the-house post would be rather boring, so I won't bother - but I hope you find a buyer, it's a lovely layout and I have shamelessly stolen taken inspiration from your track plan for the project I'm trying to get to work on. A true labour of love, and it's been a pleasure reading about its progress over the last few years :)

Thank you very much for those kind words. I just threw myself into it and hopefully this thread shows that you can achieve something pretty good with a bit of thought and patience.

Anyway, the railway does indeed have a new home and I made a little video earlier explaining where it’s going…

Ash Bridge

Established Member
This is great news! and the railway gets to stay in “Withered Arm“ country too so to speak. Wonder what the chances are of it ever getting displayed at Okehampton Station?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
This is great news! and the railway gets to stay in “Withered Arm“ country too so to speak. Wonder what the chances are of it ever getting displayed at Okehampton Station?

Funnily enough I just had a message from Louis that they’re taking it the Barnstaple show next year, so it’s going to be fairly close to its namesake…

They’re also taking it to the Portsmouth show later this year, which we’ll also be at with Moors View!

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Funnily enough I just had a message from Louis that they’re taking it the Barnstaple show next year, so it’s going to be fairly close to its namesake…

They’re also taking it to the Portsmouth show later this year, which we’ll also be at with Moors View!
As you say, Barnstaple is probably even better, at first for some reason I was seeing Portsmouth Arms :D

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Thank you very much for those kind words. I just threw myself into it and hopefully this thread shows that you can achieve something pretty good with a bit of thought and patience.

Anyway, the railway does indeed have a new home and I made a little video earlier explaining where it’s going…

Glad to hear Lapford has gone to, by all accounts, a very suitable home.

Looking forward to your next project like everyone else on this thread ;)

(Don't keep us in suspense too long now :lol:;))