• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lapford station in N gauge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Ah yes indeed, some things have been happening. Although I haven’t got a tractor yet @Peter C. :lol:
I do have a shopping cart with a few things in on eBay though so I’ll add the tractor when I’ve done this...

On the main part of the railway I’ve just been doing a few little things recently like adding road signs and telegraph poles:

AA618CBF-8944-47C5-89FB-9C9DBEF56272.jpeg

Quite like doing stuff like this...

4FED0A58-9E22-4250-B556-572D83CC7B7E.jpeg

I’ve also done a bit more on the Eggishford section which is slowly but surely coming together now. Hopefully I might get a bit of ballasting done tomorrow afternoon as that’s the next job really.

The other day I started adding the flowerbeds and fences to the main platform and getting it all a bit more finished ready to plant on the board (pardon the pun):

56986FE6-330F-4036-9515-A6D42015B42D.jpeg

54AE5D0A-09FA-40BA-B4AE-CBD0E6F2E395.jpeg

This is how it looks in place with a 33 running in (yes I know the track is misaligned but I’m going to deal with that tomorrow ;)).

FA8BC443-6F9D-4383-A733-6D8511A1BD17.jpeg

I really like this view. I put the little river bridge in as well this week which I’m quite pleased with:

BCB8A769-8FC8-4070-9FC9-C3D13BCF2707.jpeg

Last but not least I made a little dilapidated shed to go next to the erm, other dilapidated shed off the end of the platform a couple of nights ago. I’ve seen other people do roofs with slates missing and thought I’d give it a try. It was enjoyable doing it to be honest and was purely made out of off-cuts and scraps I had in my box:

2309E65B-64A0-406C-80B3-FD7B0E9B9D0A.jpeg

I think that’s it for the moment but hopefully I’ll be doing a bit more tomorrow.
Thanks for reading anyway. ;)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Looking superb there
Thanks Takno. :)

I've shunted at Lapford several times with tractors (37s). Perhaps I could pose for an N gauge guard?

I’ve got a few N gauge figures that I could use to recreate the younger you. You’ll have to answer a few questions first though:

a) Height?
b) Build?
c) 1980s Hair colour?
d) 1980s Hair style?
e) Any other distinguishing features (ie did you wear a monocle in 1989 etc)?

takno

Established Member
e) Any other distinguishing features (ie did you wear a monocle in 1989 etc)?
Oh come now, I mean who didn't wear a monocle in 1989? They were so fashionable that I used to wear two

reddragon

Established Member
Ah yes indeed, some things have been happening. Although I haven’t got a tractor yet @Peter C. :lol:
I do have a shopping cart with a few things in on eBay though so I’ll add the tractor when I’ve done this...

On the main part of the railway I’ve just been doing a few little things recently like adding road signs and telegraph poles:

View attachment 93179

View attachment 93180

I’ve also done a bit more on the Eggishford section which is slowly but surely coming together now. Hopefully I might get a bit of ballasting done tomorrow afternoon as that’s the next job really.

The other day I started adding the flowerbeds and fences to the main platform and getting it all a bit more finished ready to plant on the board (pardon the pun):

View attachment 93172

View attachment 93173

This is how it looks in place with a 33 running in (yes I know the track is misaligned but I’m going to deal with that tomorrow ;)).

View attachment 93175

I really like this view. I put the little river bridge in as well this week which I’m quite pleased with:

View attachment 93174

Last but not least I made a little dilapidated shed to go next to the erm, other dilapidated shed off the end of the platform a couple of nights ago. I’ve seen other people do roofs with slates missing and thought I’d give it a try. It was enjoyable doing it to be honest and was purely made out of off-cuts and scraps I had in my box:

View attachment 93176

I think that’s it for the moment but hopefully I’ll be doing a bit more tomorrow.

That is good. Way beyond my patience & current skill level!!

hexagon789

Veteran Member

View attachment 93179

View attachment 93180

View attachment 93172

View attachment 93173

View attachment 93175

View attachment 93174

View attachment 93176

Station looks spectacular and I like the rundown shed

Iskra

Established Member
The station looks excellent, I like those shots with the 33 in it's got the right 'feel' to it already!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That is good. Way beyond my patience & current skill level!!

You’ll get into it once you get to that point. It’s so much easier to make something decent now with the ability to look up ideas online etc.
If you make as good a job of it as you have with what you’ve done so far it’ll be excellent.

The station looks excellent, I like those shots with the 33 in it's got the right 'feel' to it already!

Thanks mister. :)
Have you done any more to yours recently?

Iskra

Established Member
You’ll get into it once you get to that point. It’s so much easier to make something decent now with the ability to look up ideas online etc.
If you make as good a job of it as you have with what you’ve done so far it’ll be excellent.

Thanks mister. :)
Have you done any more to yours recently?
No physical work, I’m still waiting on my track ballast underlay. I did however start making an operational timetable yesterday with testing- I got about half way through. It was interesting and I really enjoyed it.

Peter C

Established Member

View attachment 93179

View attachment 93180

View attachment 93172

View attachment 93173

View attachment 93175

View attachment 93174

View attachment 93176

That all looks brilliant @Cowley - the road signs are a lovely addition and add to the Postman Pat feel (and I mean that in a good way). :) Adding them to my layout (in a previous incarnation) was fun as they really add to the scene.
Those buildings for Eggishford also look fantastic - the flowerbeds and other bits of detailing around the main station building are very cool indeed. That slightly dilapidated building looks the part too: the missing bits of the roof finish the overall look.

-Peter

hexagon789

Veteran Member
That all looks brilliant @Cowley - the road signs are a lovely addition and add to the Postman Pat feel (and I mean that in a good way).
Just need a black & white cat, a wee post van and presto(!) the perfect cameo ;)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Pat hasn’t been enjoying his run so much recently as Wayne keeps tailgating him in his Transit... ;)
Anyway I’ve just ordered a few things from eBay including an item for the farm track which I need to do a few things to first...

Peter C

Established Member
Just need a black & white cat, a wee post van and presto(!) the perfect cameo ;)
Brilliant - I'm now trying to find a similar post van to Pat's to use on my layout; I've got so many jokes on it that it wouldn't be out of place... ;)

Pat hasn’t been enjoying his run so much recently as Wayne keeps tailgating him in his Transit... ;)
Haha :D

Anyway I’ve just ordered a few things from eBay including an item for the farm track which I need to do a few things to first...
Ooh - I'm now curious as to what you've got in store for the layout: do tell!

-Peter

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Brilliant - I'm now trying to find a similar post van to Pat's to use on my layout; I've got so many jokes on it that it wouldn't be out of place... ;)
I always think it's the little things that make a layout, wee cameos and scenes, the scenery and such like

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I always think it's the little things that make a layout, wee cameos and scenes, the scenery and such like

Oh yes I forgot to reply to the post from @Peter C.
I’ve bought a bailing machine trailer thingy for a tractor and the plan is to weather the hell out of it (including much rust) and leave it in a gateway where the baseboard join is with a sign on it that says KEEP OUT! To deter the neighbours that the local farmer isn’t too enamoured with...

Peter C

Established Member
Definitely. I love the addition of road signs on Lapford - they're a perfect example of what you describe.

I’ve bought a bailing machine trailer thingy for a tractor and the plan is to weather the hell out of it (including much rust) and leave it in a gateway where the baseboard join is with a sign on it that says KEEP OUT! To deter the neighbours that the local farmer isn’t too enamoured with...
I like it! :D
And without wanting to offend my honourable friend, the member for Devon, I expect he probably shouts "Geroff my land!" whenever someone comes too close... ;)

-Peter

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Oh yes I forgot to reply to the post from @Peter C.
Sounds great, be interested to see the finished result!

One of the things I used to love buying the various model railway magazines for was spotting the little cameos in people's layouts - they always captured my imagination.

I've seen many varied and "unusual" ones shall we say at various railway exhibitions over the years, I have a collection of snaps of some somewhere as a sort of reference.

Definitely. I love the addition of road signs on Lapford - they're a perfect example of what you describe.
Yep that's exactly what I mean; even just signage can add so much to a layout.

I've seen many otherwise excellent layoutslet down by lack of any road signs, street scenes, cameos etc, and they just lack atmosphere and depth - too bland and plain. You need the little things as much as the big things to give it that lift, life and feeling.

Peter C

Established Member
Yep that's exactly what I mean; even just signage can add so much to a layout.

I've seen many otherwise excellent layoutslet down by lack of any road signs, street scenes, cameos etc, and they just lack atmosphere and depth - too bland and plain. You need the little things as much as the big things to give it that lift, life and feeling.
Again - I agree with you. :) Layouts can look so much more 'lived-in' when you add smaller details. It's something I'm quite looking forward to adding on my own layout when I can get 'round to it.

-Peter