• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Laptop help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

me123

Established Member
Hi guys. I've posted this here because a lot of you seem to be rather tech-savvy (and I can't get hold of a repair shop on Easter Monday!).

Anyway, hopefully someone will be able to help me. I've have a Dell Inspiron 1525 for about three years now, with Vista installed. It's been an excellent computer up until now. I've not had any of the problems that people moan about with Vista. It has slowed down over the year, but I reckon that's part and parcel of the Windows software.

Anyway, the problem I've got just now is that the left hings of the laptop is starting to quite literally fall apart. I can't move the screen at all without breaking something else off. Thankfully, it now rarely moves from the desk, so it's not a major issue. A quick Google search reveals that this is a known issue with the model, which is pretty poor IMO. I'm pretty sure that this is repairable; just one or two new parts. What I am worried about is all the electrical gubbins that's running through the hinge being damaged in some way. The other problem I have is that it's started overheating and crashing off a lot. It's pretty low-spec, but now even watching YouTube for more than about half an hour is enough to crash it!

I'm quite wary about sending it in somewhere for a repair as my exams start in three weeks and I'm quite keen not to lose it at this point! Of course, by leaving it, I'm risking losing the laptop completely.

What I'm interested to know is:
1) Are the two things in any way related?
2) Will it be possible to repair the laptop?
3) If so, would it be feasible to repair the laptop, or should I just get a new one?

All help appreciated!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
What I'm interested to know is:
1) Are the two things in any way related?

I doubt it to be honest. For the over heating I suggest unscrewing the bottom of the laptop to gain access to the fan area and then giving it a good clean using compressed air (if you have any) or just having a good blow to clear out any dust and other dirt from there. If your not quite brave enough to do that then just try blowing through the vents without getting direct access. Check this page out here for some more information.

2) Will it be possible to repair the laptop?

I would have thought so.

3) If so, would it be feasible to repair the laptop, or should I just get a new one?

It's going to depend on how much it costs to be honest. The part in question will probably be something like 50p but if you send it off for repair with Dell then your going to be looking at around £100 I would expect (basing of what Acer charged to fix my laptop for a similar problem ages ago). So if you think that's a worthwhile expenditure on an old laptop then go for it otherwise you're probably better saving for a new one. If you know any independent computer shops in your area it might be worth going to talk to them and seeing a) what they think and b) if they would be willing to attempt the repair themselves.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm quite wary about sending it in somewhere for a repair as my exams start in three weeks and I'm quite keen not to lose it at this point! Of course, by leaving it, I'm risking losing the laptop completely.
See if there's a competent computer shop near you that can help.

Fortunately for me, a member of this forum near me (nowhere near you unfortunately!), is very good with this sort of thing, I've had an old laptop repaired, mobile phone screen repaired, stuff like that :) If you find the right people, you can get it done very quickly.
ainsworth74 said:
If you know any independent computer shops in your area it might be worth going to talk to them and seeing a) what they think and b) if they would be willing to attempt the repair themselves.
Agreed, just make sure that they have a good reputation. Like bike shops I find, they can range from awful to superb.

me123

Established Member
Thanks for your help. Glad to see that it's maybe not the end of the line for it, so I'll just have to take it to a shop tomorrow or something. I'm a bit worried that if I do get it fixed these problems will just keep coming back (moreso for the hinge), especially if it costs quite a bit to fix it!

Dai.

Established Member
I find it's easier to have someone come to mine in order to repair my laptop so I can make sure it's done right.

It all sounds fixable though. The suggestions above about the compressed air is the fix for your overheating.

http://www.staples.co.uk/air-duster?r=bf

Status
Not open for further replies.