• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Laptop Problem, any help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FusionRail

Hey, my new laptop arrived today, a Toshiba X200-25H.

Its got 4GB RAM, 512MB GRAM, 2x160GB HDD's.

But, Vista declares that it has 3 RAM, 256MB GRAM, and 2x75GB HDD's.

Im a bit stuck, as I have filled one HDD already.

I cnt understand why it is doing this, on the box, Mogran Computers and Toshiba's websites it says the correct spec. The BIOS setup annouces it has 4GB RAM. But Vista says it has those reduced amounts stated above, and true to its word will only let 75 GB onto each drive, not 160.

Is there anything I can do?

I need this for Saturday as Im going down to Gosport for the NR Apprentship, and dont want to be faffing about having a laptop delivered there.

Cheers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

eos

3GB RAM is about the max that Vista can recognise...

Its complicated by the fact , that Vista adds to the 3GB of physical RAM, the amount of video RAM you have...

3GB is about right as a maximum... You will have to change the operating system to use the rest, or configure your screen settings and video RAM usage to be almost nothing ...

The difference between 2GB of RAM and 3GB of RAM on Vista is virtually no different , unless you are handling huge amounts of image editing in Photoshop....

nath9425

Or quite simply...

...Since you have a new PC and this is something I would do As Standard Anyway, Make a note of your drivers, reset your BIOS and fresh install to something nicer, Preferable XP if you have it. Then everything should be recognised.

I think it is a manufactoring error.

eos

According to here http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windo...AM-44487.shtml Vista can have up to 4gb (or more with 64-bit versions)

Slight addition to that statement is '.....less the video RAM amount'. You can physically fit 4GB and Vista , in some circumstances will use most of it, but the higher your screen settings and colour depth etc, means there is less for the RAM to access. A report of about 3GB when the system is up and running is fine. There are progs that will tell you that you have 4GB fitted in two banks of 2GB or whatever, but 'fitted' and 'accessible' are not the same amounts.

Only talking of the 32 bit versions in all of my comments...be it XP or Vista

The Hard Drive reports seem wrong though, a report of 75GB suggests an 80GB hard drive fitted ( x2) and not a 160GB (x2).. Are you sure that the 160GB was not the total for both drives, and not individually. Was it a custom made model or an off the shelf model...Do you have a model or make etc as a starting point as its a like the 'emporer's new clothes' at the moment.

Last edited:

FusionRail

Its a Toshiba Satellite X200-25H, 'Reconditioned' (Discontinued line, never sold and had its battery refreshed etc)

Model Number is PSPBUE-03802KEN

Web link: http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe....broadvision.session.new=Yes&PRODUCT_ID=150394

OK, so maybe the RAM is Vista's problem, the HDD's are the next.

I have worked out that it has actually got 2x160gb.

What has happened is that Drive 1, is partitioned into Drives C and E. So i obviously is showing them as 2 80GB drives. Drive 2 is there, just Not Initialized, Unallocated.

Is there a way to get it back online, without taking it apart, ive tried all the usual ways, but there's no options availiable in Disk Management, they are all greyed out.

Personally I think its a bit sh*t that they sell things with more ram than the OS can handle, and why the hell can the OS handle only 3 odd GB? Its silly.

eos

OK lets have a look at the hard drive problem- Drive 1 is fine and is partioned as 2x 80GB , that's normal, and is probably the optimum way to do it anyway. Keep the lower drive ( usually drive C: ) JUST for programs , never add any images or anything else ( except more programs) , keep it defragged, and the computer will run at best speed. NOTE My Images, My Documents, My Videos will all put the stored data on drive C:- so try and move as much as possible to another drive if not needed or your speed will suffer dramatically.
Lets look at the hard drive that's not working. Look on the desktop , right click on My Computer, click on Manage,- click on Disk Management ( terminology might be slightly different- I don't have Vista next to me at the moment) . From that follow the instructions to Format that drive (right click on the greyed out area in the disk management screen) (it should come up as the next available physical drive - probably Drive F: - Make sure its NOT dirve C: or D: or E: ) Partition it however you want, ie 2x 80GB etc , but as its a data drive I would suggest you use 1x 160GB and name the drive DATA... There is no need to remove it from the machine- its all software!!

As a matter of interest , just what is drive D:- you have drive C:- ( main drive) and E: data drive, is drive D: a card slot or something similar? ( or is it the disk drive we are trying to sus out).

You will need probably to reset the PC a couple of times after formatting etc , for Vista to fully find the additional hard drive.

All of this is quite normal for a 'new' machine- it allows you to decide how you want it to work to suit you, otherwise you are stuck with what the manufacturer gives you.

As to why Vista can only handle a max of 4GB including Video RAM, it all goes back to the starting point when Vista was designed - 4GB of RAM was an enormous cost, and not even available .. For a long time RAM maximum was 1GB so a pair gave you 2GB , and it was thought, and is very sound thinking, why would you want more. A 'huge' image is 20MBytes how many of those can you fit in a 2GB of RAM and why do you want more. Now RAM has dropped in price , and 1GB has moved to 2GB in a package, and the manufacturer usually provides two slots maximum, so 4GB is again an optimum. Remember you get nothing for free , an extra slot costs money, needs support circuitry, is heavier , bulkier, and adds very little to performance. If MS had designed XP/Vista to use 8GB or 16GB then board manufacturers, chip designers would have added the extra components, and probably doubled the price of the Laptop you have.
The same applies to hard drives, not so long ago 3.3GB was huge, now I buy drives in Terrabytes ( 1000GB). In a couple of years your 160GB drives will look like postage stamps compared to what will be available. I can see that the growth of solid state memory (RAM- flashdrives etc) will , in the next three years , exceed your 160GB hard drives.

Its like designing cars really- the maximum speed is 70MPH in UK so why do want a 200MPH version- you can't use it, just brag about it. I suspect you will be using your laptop for heavily video based applications - be it games or whatever- and the biggest video RAM you can get will suit you far better than more RAM.

Last edited:

mbonwick

Established Member
Vista SP1 rectifies the 4GB issue -so it you have 4GB RAM installed, Vista will tell you that.

My rig has 4GB RAM and 1GB graphics, vista handles all the relevent information fine.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Personally I think its a bit sh*t that they sell things with more ram than the OS can handle, and why the hell can the OS handle only 3 odd GB? Its silly.
Because it's a 32-bit operating system. Get the 64-bit version if you need to be able to use 4GB RAM.

eos

A friend of mines run on 4GB and my new PC can run on 4GB of RAM.

Yes it reports that it has 4GB, but Vista SP1 just ignores that bit above 3.5GB that it cannot use.. Because its there, and 'mapped' into the video RAM area, doesn't mean it makes any difference to the running of Vista (32 bit- because that was the opertaing system that the Laptop owner says it came with.) (Ask Microsoft- read the help files in Vista or have a look on the Microsoft database)

A friend of mines run on 4GB and my new PC can run on 4GB of RAM.

Yes it reports that it has 4GB, but Vista SP1 just ignores that bit above 3.5GB that it cannot use.. Because its there, and 'mapped' into the video RAM area, doesn't mean it makes any difference to the running of Vista (32 bit- because that was the opertaing system that the Laptop owner says it came with.) (Ask Microsoft- read the help files in Vista or have a look on the Microsoft database)

Well his PC recognises that it has 4GB of RAM.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Well his PC recognises that it has 4GB of RAM.
Yes, it will run with 4GB, and yes it will recognise that it has 4GB.

But, unless it's the 64-bit version, it won't be addressing, and therefore using, all 4GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.