• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Laptops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simming

Can anyone recommend any good laptops, at around the £700-£800 mark. I wouldn't mind one with decent graphics card for imaging/gaming.

I was thinking of a getting a personallised Dell one, but I would like to know if there are any better ones out there.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bluecont

I personally couldn't find anything that matched Dell for price (this being 9 months ago) but I may be tempted to reccomend that you look into centrinos or AMDs, if they produce less heat than pentium 4s do. Trust me, this would be a helpful thing (my laptop produces significantly more heat than my desktop of similar spec does)

Ian

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Get yourself an iBook.... well I would suggest that but its a tad out of your price range and probably not the best for running things like games lol! but even though I have yet to use an apple machine I am getting my own very soon! :lol:

Tom B

Established Member
If you end up with a Dell, customise carefully - I saved about £150 by knocking the support from "24-hour helldesk with online training" to "Next day collect & return".

Simming

Cockfosters said:
If you end up with a Dell, customise carefully - I saved about £150 by knocking the support from "24-hour helldesk with online training" to "Next day collect & return".

I saw that, but I didn't understand what it actually meant.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Simming said:
Cockfosters said:

I saw that, but I didn't understand what it actually meant.
It should be a bit clearer than that, but I guess the first option includes on-site maintenance in the event of harware failure. The latter option is a case of return to manufacturer and can mean you go without your laptop for days/weeks in the event of hardware failure.

Tom B

Established Member
If you look at the radio boxes, by default support gives you 24/7 access to the helldesk, "online training" and extra help files or something - idiot's stuff. You can usually reduce this to 1 day collect & return (although this depends on your expertise - if something goes wrong with my machine I'm perfectly capable of fixing it and it would only need to go back if it was faulty workmanship or something - but others may need the help).

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
oh and I forgot to add, in my experience toshiba laptops are rather good! :)

Gareth Hale said:
Hewlett Packard make great laptops.
compaq are also rather good (same company really but there we go)

T

Tom

HP laptops?!?!?!?! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

EDIT: I think you can see my feelings over HP laptops.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
tubechallenger said:
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

smokers cough? you wana get that seen to mate! :lol: :P

bluecont

And to disagree once again, my friend dislikes Toshiba laptops from his experience...

I suspect at the end of the day, you can easily find some one who will defend a brand, and another who hates it.

Ian

Tom B

Established Member
You will indeed - it's best to do a google search of the manufacturer and model to get a wide range of opinions. I've had trouble from my old HP laptop (HDD died) and my Tosh (well... sort of... the power lead wore out) although they're both repaired and working (well the tosh will be once a replacement arrives shorlty). Often manufacturers will have a weakness in a specific area - so check up on them, see which bit each manufacturer fails on and decide from there. Most people anyway have experience of only one or two brands and only a few laptops, so one person's opinion is likely to be biased (unless they're in tech support or something that sees many laptops of different types come through).

tramboy

I type this on a hp pavilion laptop (bought from John Lewis (still Jessops to me), Nottingham) and apart from me stopping software working with other software (a while ago) it's been fine. Really, any laptop these days is up to a good standard.

Regards

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.