• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Largest city/town(s) without electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I haven't seen this thread before and i was just wondering what they were.

Ignore any confirmed electrification schemes. Id like to take the bet on Sheffield/Leicster/Nottingham/Derby/Hull.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
By population, Sheffield, Bristol (though this is confirmed for electrification), Leicester, Hull and Bradford.

Retorus

Swansea is pretty large too.

Well for Wales I mean!

Last edited:

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Bradford is electrified, at Forster Square

Good point :oops:

Carrying on the list by population - Cardiff (electrification planned), Belfast (does that count?), Nottingham, Plymouth, Derby, Reading (as Cardiff), Derby, Aberdeen and Sunderland (OHLE for Metro only).

cm39275

lincoln, exeter, chester. truro, plymouth just to name a few city without electric rail traction

Robinson

Good point :oops:

Carrying on the list by population - Cardiff (electrification planned), Belfast (does that count?), Nottingham, Plymouth, Derby, Reading (as Cardiff), Derby, Aberdeen and Sunderland (OHLE for Metro only).

Reading has the DC-electrified route to Waterloo (though admittedly only 2 platforms are actually electrified there at the moment).

pemma

Veteran Member
Funny I travelled on an electric train going to Chester yesterday, has there been an earthquake or something?

Chester platform 7 had 3rd rail electrification the last time I checked.

Chester, despite being a city, is actually smaller than towns like Bolton, Huddersfield and Middlesbrough which don't have electrified lines, so not really a contender for the largest towns and cities.

Ivo

Established Member
In this sense, the term "city" is a bit pointless. Size doesn't matter for cities (except for the largest cities of course); in many cases in larger cities, local schemes are electrified (Nottingham, Sheffield, Sunderland I suppose). Not counting these either, Hull and Leicester, both of which are expected but not confirmed to happen within the next few years, come out on top. Among those that have no plans in the pipeline at all, I believe Plymouth and Aberdeen are top (even the latter may be planned? - not sure). Unless Belfast counts.

Status
Not open for further replies.