• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Largest station at end of a solo single line

Status
Not open for further replies.

delt1c

Established Member
I remember the original Oban station which had ( I believe ) 5platforms. Got me thinking what was the station with most platforms at the end a solo single line. I can ignore Inverness as 3 separate lines terminated, FortWilliam ( before resisting and rebuilding) had 2 lines. , Newquay also had 2 lines. We’re there any terminals on solo signal lines with more than 5 platform faces.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I remember the original Oban station which had ( I believe ) 5platforms. Got me thinking what was the station with most platforms at the end a solo single line. I can ignore Inverness as 3 separate lines terminated, FortWilliam ( before resisting and rebuilding) had 2 lines. , Newquay also had 2 lines. We’re there any terminals on solo signal lines with more than 5 platform faces.
4 at Oban afaik, the remaining two were numbered 3 and 4.

Other offers:

Wemyss Bay - 4, now 2 in use
Largs - 4, now 2 in use
Skegness - 7, now 4 useable but only 2 in regular use

delt1c

Established Member
4 at Oban afaik, the remaining two were numbered 3 and 4.

Other offers:

Wemyss Bay - 4, now 2 in use
Largs - 4, now 2 in use
Skegness - 7, now 4 useable but only 2 in regular
I stand corrected with hindsight I think it was 3 in the train shed and one outside. From memory didn’t 1 line have 2 platform faces

Is not the approach to Skegness double track

Snow1964

Established Member
I was going to suggest Exmouth which had 4 platforms, but just remembered there was also the line via Budleigh Salterton (now closed)

ac6000cw

Established Member
Cheating a little - at its maximum size, Felixstowe Town had 4 platforms, and Felixstowe Beach station had 2 platforms. Both connected to the single line from Westerfield.

Hunstanton, Norfolk had 4 platforms, connected to the single line from Kings Lynn.

Last edited:

D6130

Established Member
FortWilliam ( before resisting and rebuilding) had 2 lines
Fort William, before resiting and rebuilding had three platforms.
I stand corrected with hindsight I think it was 3 in the train shed and one outside. From memory didn’t 1 line have 2 platform faces
Oban had two platform lines - one with two faces - inside the shed and two outside (the existing platforms 3 and 4).

Looking at photographs of Fraserburgh station prior to closure in 1965, it appears to have had four platforms.

Whitby Town used to have four platforms....although in those days it was approached by a double track line (from Malton via Pickering)

Cleethorpes has four platforms....or did when I was last there.

D6130

Established Member
Aberystwyth had 4, maybe even 5.... Now just 1.
True....but again it was approached by two separate single lines - one from Carmarthen and one from Shrewsbury - or three if you count the Vale of Rheidol.

Penzance has four platforms....approached by a short section of single track.

hexagon789

Veteran Member

Is not the approach to Skegness double track
One platform in the trainshed did have two faces, yes. But it only had one number unusually.

Ah, you might have me there - I thought the line was single into Skeggy.

hilly

I believe that when Fishguard harbour first opened in 1906 there were 5 platform faces - however 2 of these served the same track. There were also multiple sidings

Rescars

Do both the platform count and number of lines have to apply at the same time? Epsom Downs originally had 9 platforms IIRC, albeit at the end of a double track branch. It started to lose platforms after Tattenham Corner opened and has ended up as a single platform at the end of a truncated single line. Alas how the mighty are fallen!

Gloster

Established Member
Some of the wartime factories (shell-filling, ROF, etc.) were connected by single lines to the main system and had multiple platforms to cope with the numbers involved in shift changes. (A bit marginal for the description.)

greatkingrat

Established Member
Only 3 platforms, but I guess Stansted Airport is the busiest station accessed by a single line?

londiscape

Pretty sure Windsor and Eton Central used to have a few platforms back in the day (4x ???) not sure if these were removed before or after the line was singled though

Southsider

Some of the wartime factories (shell-filling, ROF, etc.) were connected by single lines to the main system and had multiple platforms to cope with the numbers involved in shift changes. (A bit marginal for the description.)
ROF Bishopton (southwest of Glasgow on the Greenock line) had a huge internal rail network, both standard and narrow gauge but no passenger platforms. I believe however that the mainline station serving the factory had the longest platforms outside major termini in Britain to cope with the volume of workers, twenty thousand at its peak.

Fraserburgh was 3 platforms, not 4. And doesn't count because there were two routes - from Maud Junction and from St Combs.

RT4038

Established Member
Fort William, before resiting and rebuilding had three platforms.

Oban had two platform lines - one with two faces - inside the shed and two outside (the existing platforms 3 and 4).

Looking at photographs of Fraserburgh station prior to closure in 1965, it appears to have had four platforms.

Whitby Town used to have four platforms....although in those days it was approached by a double track line (from Malton via Pickering)

Cleethorpes has four platforms....or did when I was last there.
Fraserburgh was approached by two (single) lines (from Aberdeen and St. Combs). Cleethorpes was approached by a double track line. Fort William was approached by two single lines (Mallaig ad Glasgow). Whitby was approached by a double track line from Grosmont, plus a single track line from Whitby West Cliff.

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
One platform in the trainshed did have two faces, yes. But it only had one number unusually.
Platform 1 and 2 in the trainshed, P2 had platform faces on both sides. Platforms 3 and 4 outside which I think were later additions

Similar to Oban P2, platform 6 at Inverness still has faces on both sides although now only one is in use.

According to the plan in the link below, Singer Works Station had 6 platforms at the end of a single line:

http://homepages.enterprise.net/iainlogan/railway/gse1b.gif
Perhaps more accurately a single lead off the double track main line.

In the modern era Helensburgh Central formerly 4 platforms off double track now 3 platforms off a single line.

Strathclyder

Established Member
According to the plan in the link below, Singer Works Station had 6 platforms at the end of a single line:

http://homepages.enterprise.net/iainlogan/railway/gse1b.gif
Perhaps more accurately a single lead off the double track main line.
Yes indeed, the line to the works' station branched off at Singer Signal Box (just to the east of the Argyll Road bridge; this box closing in 1989 with the opening of the then-new signalling centre at Yoker), the station itself at the end of a stub of the original Glasgow, Dumbarton & Helensburgh Railway line through this part of Clydebank, which was replaced by the Singer Deviation (built by the North British Railway), this being named as such due to the massively expanded Singer sewing machine factory - which at the height of it's importance, employed around 12,000 people - that necessitated it's construction. The original alignment ran right through the expanded factory site.

(The junction between the old and new lines as it looked in April 1958, on the eve of electrification)

In the modern era Helensburgh Central formerly 4 platforms off double track now 3 platforms off a single line.
This is the example I was thinking of when I saw the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.