• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Laser eye surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

John1974

If you are a current driver, are we still not permitted to have laser eye surgery?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BloominMan

See this thread:

driver9000

Established Member
Why isn't it a standard thing? And what is the issue with it?

There is an RSSB standard for laser eye surgery but as with most standards TOCs are allowed to enforce stricter measures if they wish. The issue when it first began to become more widespread as I recall was concerns about the effect it had on the eye and longer term implications from the surgery. Some operators will allow one type of laser surgery but not the other and some won't allow it at all. I don't wear glassess (yet!) and have never had eye surgery so I can't say I have ever paid much attention to that particular part of the medical standards.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Why isn't it a standard thing?

Because the railway has evolved. It used to be the case where it was an absolute no. Now that eye surgery has vastly improved over the years and has become the norm, rather than the exception. The railway has almost accepted it.

And what is the issue with it?

Quite a bit. Mostly I would say that it is down to liability. If you get sick at work you would be entitled to a medical pay off. Laser eye surgery still has risks so an existing employee becomes a liability to the TOC. Financial risk to the TOC could be substantial.

Due to the risks and also due to the side effects. There is still a huge safety concern. Again, this is a huge liability to the TOC.

Cost is important. Rather than the liability side. You also need to consider that the employee will be off 'sick' for some time too. It is also a relatative sort term gain. My Son has really bad eyesight but could benefit from Laser surgery. However; it still doesn't stop your eyesight from deteriorating. You could have a situation where an Employee meets the eyesight requirements but in a couple of years they suddenly don't. Who bears that cost ?

The 'railway' is slow to react to anything 'new'. From 'Banned' to TOC decision is a HUGE step for the railway tbh.

BloominMan

Because the railway has evolved. It used to be the case where it was an absolute no. Now that eye surgery has vastly improved over the years and has become the norm, rather than the exception. The railway has almost accepted it.

Quite a bit. Mostly I would say that it is down to liability. If you get sick at work you would be entitled to a medical pay off. Laser eye surgery still has risks so an existing employee becomes a liability to the TOC. Financial risk to the TOC could be substantial.

Due to the risks and also due to the side effects. There is still a huge safety concern. Again, this is a huge liability to the TOC.

Cost is important. Rather than the liability side. You also need to consider that the employee will be off 'sick' for some time too. It is also a relatative sort term gain. My Son has really bad eyesight but could benefit from Laser surgery. However; it still doesn't stop your eyesight from deteriorating. You could have a situation where an Employee meets the eyesight requirements but in a couple of years they suddenly don't. Who bears that cost ?

The 'railway' is slow to react to anything 'new'. From 'Banned' to TOC decision is a HUGE step for the railway tbh.

I largely agree but if surgery was done while in a non safety critical role the cost would be minimal compared to safety critical. Still a small cost but not as much. Also LASIK recovers after 1-3 days. On the other hand LASEK can take up to 3 months, so there is that. Different procedure and different recovery times.

Vision can still be corrected with glasses if vision deteriorates also. Also vision suddenly not meeting the standard through deterioration after time can happen to anybody. Regardless of laser or not

The only thing laser does not fix is presbyopia, which every human being is susceptible to at an older age.

The railway largely accepting it is a huge positive step. Many people I know say it's the best thing they've ever done.

ComUtoR

Established Member
I largely agree but if surgery was done while in a non safety critical role the cost would be minimal compared to safety critical. Still a small cost but not as much.

There is a difference between accepting applicants who had had the procedure and those who undertake the procedure whilst employed. A Driver at my place was told, in no uncertain terms, that it was his choice to have the procedure done but as it was 'elective' surgery any time off would not be paid and any consequences that would potentially cost him his job and he would have to accept it. Kinda harsh tbh.

Also LASIK recovers after 1-3 days. On the other hand LASEK can take up to 3 months, so there is that. Different procedure and different recovery times.

I can't remember which is/was banned and which isn't but a distinction was made in the standards document.

Vision can still be corrected with glasses if vision deteriorates also. Also vision suddenly not meeting the standard through deterioration after time can happen to anybody. Regardless of laser or not

Agreed. Hopefully TOCs will eventually fully accept that its part of life and the procedure is improving to the point where the risk is neglidgible.

The railway largely accepting it is a huge positive step. Many people I know say it's the best thing they've ever done.

I would agree. I know a couple of people who had it done and they have nothing but good things to say.

Rockhopper

Laser eye surgery can be repeated if your eyesight changes and you can afford to have it done again! I waited till my prescription was stable before i had mine done. That was about eight years ago now.

ComUtoR

Established Member

The Operation and Traffic Management Technical Specification for Interoperability (OPE TSI) and the Train Driving Licences and Certificates Regulations 2010 (TDLCR)permit laser eye surgery for train drivers and other train crew subject to annual examinations or at intervals set by the occupational doctor.

There is a large section on Laser Eye Surgery. Well worth a read.

Status
Not open for further replies.