• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Last-day line farewells by normal service train

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calthrop

Established Member
Department of "idle wonderings": I wonder how many participants on the Forums have consciously made a "sentimental journey" by normal service train, over a line on its very last day of normal passenger service before closure.

This is not, basically, my kind of thing: the one time I recall having done it, was in early May 1970, on the Lowestoft -- Yarmouth (South Town) line. Not on the very last train -- besides, I wanted to see what I was traversing. I desperately wished to cover this section, which had for a number of years eluded my "railroving" plans: finally, in a "making the best of the worst" way, the idea appealed, of travelling on the line for the first and last time, on its final day. This involved a long and expensive day-trip from Oxford; and I didn't find the experience of traversing the line, in itself particularly charming (largely, in my view, running through down-market built-up "seasidery") -- though these exercises are of course about "bagging" and "inking-in" the line; and if one is a daylight-type purist, attentively looking at what one is travelling through -- quality of landscape traversed, is irrelevant.

Would be interested to hear others' "final day, normal service" experiences -- "bonus points" if one were (also?) actually travelling from A to B for "real people's" reasons !

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bevan Price

Established Member
From memory - last days, but not the final trains:
Cirencester - Kemble
(Having previously walked from Kemble to Cirencester, as the service only started in the late afternoon on Sundays)
Chester - Denbigh - Ruthin
Wolverton - Newport Pagnell
Havant - Hayling Island (including a railtour the day after passenger services ceased)

Possibly some other (mainly Southern) branches on railtours, but would need to check old records, etc.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Department of "idle wonderings": I wonder how many participants on the Forums have consciously made a "sentimental journey" by normal service train, over a line on its very last day of normal passenger service before closure.

This is not, basically, my kind of thing: the one time I recall having done it, was in early May 1970, on the Lowestoft -- Yarmouth (South Town) line. Not on the very last train -- besides, I wanted to see what I was traversing. I desperately wished to cover this section, which had for a number of years eluded my "railroving" plans: finally, in a "making the best of the worst" way, the idea appealed, of travelling on the line for the first and last time, on its final day. This involved a long and expensive day-trip from Oxford; and I didn't find the experience of traversing the line, in itself particularly charming (largely, in my view, running through down-market built-up "seasidery") -- though these exercises are of course about "bagging" and "inking-in" the line; and if one is a daylight-type purist, attentively looking at what one is travelling through -- quality of landscape traversed, is irrelevant.

Would be interested to hear others' "final day, normal service" experiences -- "bonus points" if one were (also?) actually travelling from A to B for "real people's" reasons !
I made my one and only journey into Broad Street in the City of London on its last day, in the p.m. peak. I'd award myself bonus points because I travelled from Primrose Hill station, which iirc closed at the same time, having visited in the course of my housing job at Camden Council some tenants in the tower block known as Blashford which overlooked PH station. There was something very depressing about Broad Street on that final day, with the impression absolutely everyone couldn't wait for it to close. I'm not really a train buff, nor particularly sentimental, but I really thought Broad Street deserved better!

Veteran Member
Did Swanage and Alton-Winchester (day before last IIRC) and managed Bridport a few weeks before the end.

gazthomas

Established Member
North Woolwich and while not a route closure the 121 shuttling between Aylesbury and Princes Risborough

martinsh

Established Member
Can only think of two "last day" experiences - and contrasting ones at that

1) on last train from Broad Street to Finsbury Park (train went further, I got off). I seem to remember it being a Saturday lunchtime, and just a normal train - hardly any enthusiasts
2) last day of Clayton West branch (which I had done before). Again a Saturday lunchtime. Train absolutely full of enthusiasts, taking photos of absolutely everything.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I was on the last public train out of Holborn Viaduct.

However, the management had their own non-public working a few minutes behind us.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I travelled on the last "National Rail" service between Farringdon and Moorgate. Train was 100% enthusiasts!

Not on last day, but very near the end, I travelled Alton - Winchester and March - Spalding in both directions.
And a few journeys both ways Liverpool Exchange - Sandhills on the last day. It was "open house" in both Exchange boxes and I saw the very last trains from No.1.
I was on the last electric train from Bury Bolton Street.
I wanted to make a last trip York - Selby but found it had closed a week earlier. I travelled on the first up HST from York to Doncaster via the new diversion; the down one I returned on was also announced as the first working but the up train had passed another one on the diversion. Weather was fairly thick fog - almost nothing could be seen!

John Prytherch.

Calthrop

Established Member
I travelled on the last "National Rail" service between Farringdon and Moorgate. Train was 100% enthusiasts!

Interesting to hear -- in my perception, not all that many enthusiasts have been into making such last-day pilgrimages. London, of course, has a great number of enthusiasts in its overall "catchment area" !

Looking at the Feb / March 2009 Steam Railway, containing an article a number of pages long, commemorating the fiftieth anniversary of BR's mostly-closing of the Midland & Great Northern Joint system, much beloved by me -- said article seems to me, to be on a slightly sour note, tending to belittle the system as ridiculous and deserving of closure (some truth in that -- but...). Mentioned re the end of February 1959, "enthusiasts flocking from all over the UK for a final (but probably first) ride, creating a false impression... that closure would create severe hardship for hundreds." Dear SR -- "there's a time and a place..." : a bit of snideness there, which I could have done without re the wished-for atmosphere of that particular piece -- and wondering is prompted, whether the phenomenon of gricers flocking in in quite that way, was perhaps being exaggerated in the interests of the point which the writer sought to make.

Harpers Tate

Established Member
Not quite what you asked, but I did leave Filey Holiday Camp on the last scheduled passenger loco hauled train in late summer 1977 - bound for Leicester if I recall correctly. Services continued for two more Saturdays - all DMU workings.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

Quite by accident, I caught the last (or it may have been penultimate) train from Moorgate to Farringdon. It was certainly not all enthusiasts, as there were plenty of people on suits on their way home from the Pub, me included. The driver gave it plenty on the horn and also on the power controller; I don’t think any train had ever left the Midland side of Moorgate at that speed before.

James H

I was on the last Central line train from Ongar

I think I was also at Aldwych on the last day of that branch.

And I certainly witnessed the last departure from Holborn Viaduct (with detonators) - not sure if we travelled or not though.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
And I certainly witnessed the last departure from Holborn Viaduct (with detonators) - not sure if we travelled or not though.

Both the public one that I was on and the managerial one behind us were sent off with detonators.

Bishopstone

Established Member
I was on the last Central line train from Ongar

I think I was also at Aldwych on the last day of that branch.

I recall that Ongar and Aldwych closed on the same day.

Given the limited timetable on both branches, at the end, I presume it was impossible to have travelled on both ‘last trains’, though I bet there are a few enthusiasts out there who claim to have done so!

I’ve seen footage of the last train from Ongar on YouTube. Absolutely rammed, and a platform crowded with locals, too. Much whistling and detonating.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Both the public one that I was on and the managerial one behind us were sent off with detonators.

My wife and I did the last Holborn Viaduct train - a 4 + 2 EPB combo. A freezing cold night I recall , so we had a modest wake in "The Cheshire Cheese" , - to warm up if anything.

Journeyman

Established Member
I recall that Ongar and Aldwych closed on the same day.

Given the limited timetable on both branches, at the end, I presume it was impossible to have travelled on both ‘last trains’, though I bet there are a few enthusiasts out there who claim to have done so!

I’ve seen footage of the last train from Ongar on YouTube. Absolutely rammed, and a platform crowded with locals, too. Much whistling and detonating.

I did Ongar on the second-to-last day, as there was a strike planned for the final day that was only called off at the last minute, so it looked like final day services might not operate. It was pretty wedged that day too, for the same reason.

The Ongar branch is the only railway I've ever travelled on in both it's pre- and post-preservation guises.

Only other pre-closure "lasts" I've done were Shoreditch and Godley East stations. Managed to swipe a nice closure notice poster from Godley East.

Journeyman

Established Member
North Woolwich and while not a route closure the 121 shuttling between Aylesbury and Princes Risborough

I did North Woolwich very close to the end, but I seem to recall it still had a week or two to go. If we're counting final runs of rolling stock, I was on the very last public run of the 1959 Stock on the Northern line, in 2000.

Calthrop

Established Member
Can only think of two "last day" experiences - and contrasting ones at that

1) on last train from Broad Street to Finsbury Park (train went further, I got off). I seem to remember it being a Saturday lunchtime, and just a normal train - hardly any enthusiasts
2) last day of Clayton West branch (which I had done before). Again a Saturday lunchtime. Train absolutely full of enthusiasts, taking photos of absolutely everything.

@martinsh -- seems that till now, I'd missed your above post. "Many enthusiasts travelling" (or not) -- one would maybe figure, a "situational" thing.

does the last Yeovil-Taunton train count?

For sure ! I never did that route, to my regret -- far from my native patch; too late, by the time I first got to those parts.

If we're counting final runs of rolling stock, I was on the very last public run of the 1959 Stock on the Northern line, in 2000.

All is of interest, re "lasts"; and thanks to everyone, for experiences submitted.

Concerning "not very last day, but making it with little time to spare": my personal ultimate in that, has to be the Waverley route Carlisle -- Edinburgh. I travelled on that line just once, one way only, in the last days of 2018; on my way to spend 10 days / 2 weeks over New Year, with friends in Dundee -- to all intents and purposes, my first visit to Scotland. My return southward had to be via Carstairs: the "Waverley" was already gone.

Also, I covered Barnstaple -- Torrington in August 1965, a very few weeks before the end of the passenger service. To my great annoyance, Torrington -- Halwill Junction had closed earlier that year -- no chance of my getting that very covetable line: 1965 doings in West Country possible for me, only by reason of a family summer holiday in those parts.

Another "by skin of teeth" getting-in-the-bag (in the same part of the country, as it happens), read of by me in a piece by the doer of the deed: no less a personage than C. Hamilton Ellis, whose only visit to the Lynton & Barnstaple was during that line's last week in traffic, in late September 1935. Done -- according to the account -- at the urging of his wife: he and she made the "day" trip, involving two successive overnight train journeys London to North Devon, and return. It seems a bit astonishing that such a loving chronicler of Britain's railways (including a great fondness for lesser lines) as Ellis, should have missed out on, much earlier, doing this line -- and should have needed spousal prodding to accomplish the thing at virtually the last second (he found the first-hand experience delightful, by the way) -- but I'd reckon that all of us, however keen normally, have had the occasional strange episode of apathy, causing us to miss out or almost so.

AJP62

I was in Humberside the day the Humber Bridge opened and they operated a circular trip with the ferry and buses over the bridge between Hull and Barton. I'm sure this was the last day of the ferry but not sure if the train diverted via the curve avoiding New Holland pier after that day. So a last day of ferry service at least!

I was on the last train from Southport to Preston on Sunday 6th September 1964. I travelled out from Preston during the afternoon behind a standard 2-6-0 ( possibly 78041 of Southport shed) the loco carrying a special commemorative headboard saying "The West Lancashire Railway 1882-1964 Last Day". When the last train back was announced at Southport the voice of the announcer broke with emotion as he attempted to finish the sentence. The train was headed by 2-6-4tank 42296 of Lostock Hall. The journey was delayed by someone pulling the communication chord near New Longton and trackside detonators went off near Penwortham Cop Lane. On arrival at
Preston, slightly late, there were a lot of flash bulbs firing.
Next day I was back at work at County Hall,Preston and my boss,who lived in Southport, was late in. Instead of a 35 minute journey in a train reading his paper, it had taken him over an hour to drive in. From then on his only concern was securing his speedy retirement.

I travelled on the penultimate service from Charlton Kings to Leckhampton on the Kingham line in October 1962...all of a mile or so, but then I was only twelve years old. It's a regret that I never got to do the train to Kingham...

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
It's not National Rail, although it was once, but I went on one of the two "Farewell to Ashburton" specials on 2nd October 1971.

One of the trains went from London Paddington, and the other (the one I was on) went from Swansea. This is a link to the route of that train from the Six Bells Junction web site: http://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/70s/711002ab.html.

The strange thing is that I have no idea why I went on it! I'd have been with one of both of my parents, who weren't enthusiasts, so there wasn't an obvious reason. It was good, though; I've got some photos which I was looking at recently, and thy brought back a few memories.

AY1975

Established Member
I did North Woolwich very close to the end, but I seem to recall it still had a week or two to go. If we're counting final runs of rolling stock, I was on the very last public run of the 1959 Stock on the Northern line, in 2000.

North Woolwich closed in December 2006, and I did it in about September that year.

I also did the Oldham Loop on its last day as a heavy rail line, both on service trains and on a railtour, if that counts.

Again, in terms of final runs of rolling stock I was on the last public run of the 1959 Stock on the Northern Line in 2000, and the last public run of EPB stock: the 20.02 Charing Cross-Dartford via Sidcup on 31st March 1995.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Not quite what you asked, but I did leave Filey Holiday Camp on the last scheduled passenger loco-hauled train in late summer 1977 - bound for Leicester if I recall correctly. Services continued for two more Saturdays - all DMU workings.
Collect half a like.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
... The strange thing is that I have no idea why I went on it! I'd have been with one of both of my parents, who weren't enthusiasts, so there wasn't an obvious reason. It was good, though; I've got some photos which I was looking at recently, and thy brought back a few memories.

LOL - This is what happens as the years pass, Ebbw. :)

My starter for 10: I was on, or was told I was on, the last "normal" (even if it was "abnormal" - because it was summer weekend services only) service from Melton Mowbray North into Leicester Belgrave Rd.
But after I started a thread on it some time back - I might have been told wrongly, as it seems there were services at least the next day.

More certainly: I was on the last train ex-Cambridge to Bletchley. 31 Dec 67 I think it was. Well, it was the last train until they build East-West rail. Something tells me I'll struggle to be alive to be on the first train on the renewed service.

Not the last train over the line, but I was on the last regular steam-hauled, standard-gauge, scheduled BR service Preston - Liverpool Exchange on 03 August 1968. Can't be many of us left around today! Even fewer those of us who left Liverpool Exchange in the cab of the Black 5 returning to Lostock Hall.

Last edited:

simonw

Elmers end to Selsdon as it ran past where I was living at the time so I was in the last few service trains on the day of closure.

Status
Not open for further replies.